Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

So after all the models are out IMO we have learnt zero about what to expect! Any cold doesn't appear till after 144hrs, the ECM departs from its earlier 00hrs run, the UKMO is saved a slating as we only see its output upto 144hrs. The GFS operational run looks out on its own even though its a loner in a sea of confusion anyway. The GEM looks better than this mornings run but still flatters to deceive. The rest of the wannabee models JMA, damp squib similar to the GFS let down, the NAVGEM so so, the CMA aka we should give up modelling and stick to oppressing Tibet model as they're much better at that than NWP, who cares! The BOM similar to the GFS.

Basically its a mess, we'll just have to wait till tomorrow for the mist to clear hopefully!

The Gfs 18z will save the day, not worth hiding behind the sofa though. All to play for, atlantic high still has a chance of pulling further west and building north to cut off the atlantic and the shape & potency of the scandi trough is nowhere near nailed yet, the fat lady can clear off home until the 00z...and who knows, the Ecm 12z ens mean might be more of a stonker than a stinker.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted

I would advise not to concentrate too much on the cold aspect. Otherwise you will miss the other possible weather. After going through the models and the various ENS one word springs to mind to describe the possible weather from the 5-10th of December "WOW".

As i am sure has been said already it all hinges on how the High and lows exit newfoundland between T144 and T192.  But the two main possibility groupings indicate either an extreme storm/wind event or and an possible high risk snow event. For me the chances of somewhere getting the storm component is very very high, mainly due to the ramped up jet and the large temp differential caused by the cold air flooding south into the atlantic.

Far too early to judge the models but the next 3-4 days look like must watching activity. Just don't concentrate on the snow aspect and don't get caught up my indervidual runs (i.e GFS ENS, ECM and GEM all back away from the GFS ops outcome).

Its going to be a nightmare to forecast thought :)

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Comparing GFS, ECM and GEM AT t192 and t216 ECM is by far the coldest

ECM

Posted ImagePosted Image

GFS has the coldest uppers missing most of England and Wales

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

And finally GEM

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted

I am not aware that cold was/is expected before that time scale anyway?

I would think 144h may see signs at synoptic level of this development.

It wasn't, any cold shown even if the models all agreed on the way forward is outside of the more reliable timeframe.  The foundations or lack of are messy and unconvincing, the synoptic evolution is not that of the normal northerly toppler we often see, the models are determined to throw in a shortwave and not just go the simple retrogression route via more amplification in the eastern USA.

The GFS IMO is often good at the bog standard northerly toppler , indeed I'd put it ahead of the ECM normally on that synoptic set up although it does have a bias for overdoing the cold and longevity come verification time but it normally at least picks the northerly. Even its making a pigs ear of the set up, I think the juries out on this one, once theres some coherence upstream then things might become clearer.

• Like 2

Posted

I think the UKMO is better than people give it credit for at 144 with that shortwave SW Greenland ready to slide SE and amplify the pattern

ECM at 168 not bad but we need that shortwave to develop SW of Iceland and less energy coming over our ridge from that phasing low.

Posted Image

As you say the UKMO chart at t144 is a very good chart and for me probably the pick

of the bunch at that range.

Nothing to get hung up about in the way the latest ECM run turned out its still a pattern

in development and at approx 8 day range little hiccups are to be expected.

Come Saturday we should know for sure whether we are in for a real taste of winter or

just a cold snap. I am happy to put my money on the former as I think the pattern will be

amplified enough to scupper any spoilers such as what the ECM is showing from t168 onwards.

• Like 2

Posted

As a novice I find how people get really hot under the collar in this forum about the various outputs.  I always think take them all at face value and wait for an outcome. In 2010 winter really did not start till Fri 17th Dec and then it really did kick in till mid Jan.  I am waiting and seeing. If it comes off we will love it, If does not then we will save on our fuel bills and the elderly will be better off.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Here we are copied across from my website from my own fair hand tonight. I wish it was a good omen for cold and snow but having seen the 12zs I'm afraid it's not.

The ECM has -8 uppers over the whole of the UK, with -10 uppers over parts of Scotland at day 8 and 9, how is that not cold? Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Phew, just cought up. Some great posts tonight, but you know what!Still none the wiser :-)but its worth it!!!!!!! Luv this thread :-)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The ECM has -8 uppers over the whole of the UK, with -10 uppers over parts of Scotland at day 8 and 9, how is that not cold? Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

I think the eye is in the beholder, for long term cold it doesn't look encouraging at the moment, but the models do suggest a period of colder weather, in fact cold enough for snow to low levels for a time (couple of days), which is what is said in the summary to be honest :)

At the moment out of the 3 solutions I said were possible for the UK, it looks like solution number 2 is the most likely (A northerly toppler). But if we get some good fortune it might last more than 48 hours or so and potentially deliver snow to many areas. Of course with this solution the length and depth of cold will be up for grabs even within a couple of days of the forecast event.

• Like 5

Posted

Worth comparing the end of the semi-reliable timeframe at T168 for the GFS latest and previous run. Particularly the high with has been replaced with a low around newfoundland. But also a very different n.hemi pattern on the two runs.

Its really unusual to have this much global pattern uncertainty at this range, hence why they models even at T120 are changing so much.

A little bit of consistence on a global pattern would be nice before we start to exam too closely how its going to effect the UK.

post-6326-0-79044200-1385671337_thumb.pn

post-6326-0-68302600-1385671347_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Tonight's ECM ensemble shows -5 850's over a lot of the UK at either t192 and or t216 depending on your location, t240 shows less cold 850's approaching the west

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Welcome back Gibby, pleased to see you posting your analysis again

Posted Image

Welcome back Gibby love your input, only thing is Summer suns post count is going to dramatically drop
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Great to see gibby back. Like I said earlier his posts make it so much easier for novices like me to understand. And like he keeps saying this looks nothing more than a short sharp blast. And it seems the met office agree in today's update. With westerly winds becoming established again. But I do understand these updates can and do change.

• Like 5

Posted

http://www.knmi.nl/exp/pluim/Data/PLUIM_06260_NWT.png The raw 10 day ECM shows at day 10 the op is 2 or 3 degrees above the general clustering showing it *MAY* be producing on onshore flow to fast.. Expect changes a plenty in the next 2 days - some good - possibly some not so good-S

The spread at day 10 has the clustered mean ridge further west. There appears to be a clustering that brings a more developed depression around the Atlantic ridge days 9 and 10 and into s UK. South of the PFj, that would allow for something significant for n England. Because even the poor sypnotic outcomes at day 10 are likely to be v cold at the surface, the London ens will not tell us too much tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

To my eyes, the Ecm 12z ensemble mean looks significantly more wintry than the 00z mean, I would say it's 50 percent better with the arctic air having more of a swipe at the uk, especially the north and east..all to play for since the timeframe of most interest is beyond T+144 hours. :-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

What's to say it won't change back by tomorrow morning? B.R.E.A.T.H.E people..

• Like 1