Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18th Nov.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Chart of the year...

Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Chart of the year...

Posted Image

I often see these charts posted but I have no idea what they show! I don't speak fluent German unfortunately...Is it simply potential temperature at 850hpa?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Hi Gibby

Most are 'excited' I reckon because of some cold shots however long/short despite the vortexy vortex. I think most have expectations in right area I guess.

SB....stop that..Gibby is right, expectations are rising again!!!!!!  Its only chart of year if it came to fruition Posted Image

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Even in the short term, there is nothing mild, even when the atlantic air spills around the top of the high we have cold at the surface with max temps of 5-7 celsius and widespread slight frosts, and then it turns much colder and wintry from the northwest, not bad ehPosted Image

post-4783-0-83818300-1385552490_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-79356700-1385552507_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-40345400-1385552526_thumb.pn

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I often see these charts posted but I have no idea what they show! I don't speak fluent German unfortunately...Is it simply potential temperature at 850hpa?

It's the Theta E chart basically, it takes the dew point into account as well as air temperature. Posted Image

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

das wetter ist very cold..ja ja ja wunderbarPosted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: We've hit the giant daddy jackpot!

Gibby, I fully agree with your prognosis. With a strong zonal influence and no sign of any blocking heights to our NW or NE, this looks like another very short lived spell and Dec looks increasingly like being an average one.

Edited by Sussexwalker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

IMO despite some optimism this morning I can't see any excitement to be gained from the 10 day mean chart of ECM. High pressure to the SW means there is no way cold will last a day or two on that synopsis.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reem2401.gif

Yes Gibby, I certainly respect your views Posted Image and you may well be correct come verification time. I largely believe the excitement is based more on the potential from say the 3rd December and into the even deeper period of the second week of December and beyond. The excitement from the voiciferous majority (mildies and those whom couldn't care less excepted) is due to being pleased that we are to see the end of High Pressure domination.

Anyway, let's move on as this NOT a discussion based around one's individual's analyses over another, it should be about what the various NWP outputs are suggesting, and December is only just around the corner now. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Chart of the year...

Posted Image

for cold yes...but that's a typical ''wishbone'' chart.

Good for those along the East Coast, Scotland, NW Coasts and N.Irlenad but that would likely be dry for most...still I agree it looks a peach.

Posted

It's the Theta E chart basically, it takes the dew point into account as well as air temperature. Posted Image

This.

In winter and with high pressure especially it tends to be a much better guide of surface temperature and inversion potential than the standard upper air temperature charts.

for cold yes...but that's a typical ''wishbone'' chart.

Good for those along the East Coast, Scotland, NW Coasts and N.Irlenad but that would likely be dry for most...still I agree it looks a peach.

True but the air-mass is extremely cold so as a fan of extremes i'd love to see how low some of the sheltered Glens could go.

Posted

I fully agree with that prognosis. With a strong zonal influence and no sign of any blocking heights to our NW or NE, this looks like another very short lived spell and Dec looks increasingly like being an average one.

Give it chance, I think the alignment of the jet will be conducive to enable wintry reloads from the nw / n.....there is the potential for a noteworthy wintry spell here followed by more further upstream.

Posted

I am intrigued to see how this is going to play out...

Growing signals of the vortex moving back west at the same time as the increased likehood of a strong ridge appearing from over the other side of the Arctic. Now if we could get an amplified enough wave 2 response, we could have a truly severe cold spell thrust upon us. Although my money would be on it not being a particularly long lasting one.

Also, even though not really showing on the FI charts right now, watch this space as I think we could then be looking NE for the Mid December to Xmas period thereafter.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

It shows the equivalent potential temperature (theta-e) at 850hPa, which is not the same as the forecast temperature at that level. Some links that may try to help understand theta-e:

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/162/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalent_potential_temperature

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

Well...the Gfs 06z op run would deliver rather more than standard uk December weather for sure, looks more like Dec 2010 to me, snow all over the uk, severe frosts and a bucket full of ice days followed by a frosty high to hard pack all that deep snow.Posted Image

I admire your optimism but hasn't it been stated a countless number of times that the Gfs 06 op run has the least amount of data hence overall less likely to verify. 

I'm sorry but my money's with Gibby on this one..

IMO despite some optimism this morning I can't see any excitement to be gained from the 10 day mean chart of ECM. High pressure to the SW means there is no way cold will last a day or two on that synopsis.

• Like 1

Posted

I admire your optimism but hasn't it been stated a countless number of times that the Gfs 06 op run has the least amount of data hence overall less likely to verify

Which data is it missing then? Think you have that completely wrong. Gibby just issued his winter forecast with no mention of cold in December, currently the models are trending towards something from the North so maybe he's panicing! lol. Posted Image

Edited by MPG
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Morning Gibby,

It still remains cold, the HP isn't exactly a scorcher either, perhaps the far SW possibly touching double figures, while everyone else remains in single digits and cold frosty mornings. 850's -10C.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

But with respect you are using GFS charts to back up data supplied by ECM and those temperature profile map readings are as useless as a chocolate fireguard at that range but hey ho everyone to their own.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

I admire your optimism but hasn't it been stated a countless number of times that the Gfs 06 op run has the least amount of data hence overall less likely to verify

It has been stated countless times, nonetheless it isn't true. At least according to any objective measure (i.e. verification stats).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

Which data is it missing then? Think you have that completely wrong. Gibby just issued his winter forecast with no montion of cold in December, currently the models are trending towards something from the North so maybe he's panicing! lol. Posted Image

Re: missing data on the Gfs 06 op run I'm afraid I'd have to refer you to one of the more experienced and knowledgeable members on this forum in order to give you a comprehensive answer. However, you must admit this is not the first time this has been stated about this particular run. I can honestly say hardly a day goes by that this whole "lack of data issue" isn't brought up by someone or other.

Posted

The GEM was the first model to spot this cold and unsettled trend and then all the others slowly climbed aboard, if the gem has nailed this, it will go even higher in my estimation.

post-4783-0-67473700-1385554937_thumb.gi

• Like 2

Colder spell expected later next week may last somewhat longer than initially suspected but longevity & influence to S UK very uncertain.

looks like met are more confident now of a more prolonged cold-spell,for most of the country

I think I mentioned IF twitter this morning-

Obviously the ECM clustering & decider models are 'seeing' more amplification....

The reason around the uncertainty for the south is explained above-

Amplification & tilt of jet could see the whole of the UK in sustained cold or just half of it ( the North) if the pattern is flatter than expected.

S

Edited by Steve Murr