Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 06/11/13 0000z ------------>

gottolovethisweather

Guest William Grimsley

It was dry and cool with a light wind yesterday, here. High Rainfall Rate Yesterday: 0.0 mm/hr 00:00 High Hourly Rainfall Yesterday: 0.0 mm 00:00 Rainfall Yesterday: 0.0 mm High Temperature Yesterday: 9.7°C 09:30 High Wind Gust Yesterday: 11 mph 11:54 High Wind Speed Yesterday: 4 mph 06:25 Wind Run Yesterday: 10.5 mi Dominant Direction Yesterday: 274° W.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

.. Just posted this in Scotland thread but BBC has live updates for all on the storm.. Here:http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25227714

That is a good link right there PB, the Forth Road link clearly showing consistent gusts in the 80s already and they stated they are to close the Thames flood barrier. Clearly not a storm to be messed with and like Ben, I do feel an isolated gust or two will be noteworthy even down in parts of this region. 25mph so far in my patch and that's in a sheltered valley location. Oddly missed out on the Air Frost reading which PB had locally last night. Sometimes locations so close together are like "chalk and cheese". A very slight chance of witnessing  a snowflake in the air tonight for some but then its another week on until we could see something developing over Scandi, but don't hold your breath.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

An update to my post from earlier, as Ben rightly suggested, the strength of the winds are perhaps more notable than anticipated. I feel the winds will peak during the passage of the Front which looks likely to start passing through our region at approximately 2pm to 3pm and perhaps clearing the South Coast by 6pm. The strongest gusts will inevitably be most violent in areas well exposed to the strong Northwesterlies. Here is a current NW v6 radar grab with anticipated gusts overlaid.

post-7183-0-77132200-1386247055_thumb.pn

The blue arrows showing how the surface feature is gradually transferring East at a reasonable speed. The black arrows showing the movement of the Cold Front itself, which doesn't appear to be in much of a hurry and whether it maintains its current intensity as it pushes south remains to be seen.

Quite a noteworthy day for a lot of the UK, even if not for all of us. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Nope no tumble dryer... Refuse to buy one and let the energy company have more money off me...Posted Image plus nothing like the sight and smell of washing drying/dried outside...

( ps I have been known to nip to the Laundrette though to dry then towels n sheets)

A multi-fuel burner really comes into its own in the winter. I put a whole load of washing on the clothes horse in front of it before I go to bed and it's dry by the morning. The door is closed so no danger of fire. I usually give it a half-hour tumble because it's stiff without doing any flapping in the wind, but still cheaper - couldn't bear to fork out to dry towels in a tumble drier. Tight-@rse is me!

Sorry for being OT - was a tad breezy here this morning.

Edited by katemart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Just had a gust of 28mph hoping to break 50mph if he front makes it down here

Posted

What a difference half a day makes.

Fantastic walk this morning. Crisp underfoot before sunrise, with a real chill in the air.

post-7340-0-29721100-1386252926_thumb.jp

The cloud came in from the North.

post-7340-0-66747600-1386253044_thumb.jp

As it did, the frost on the trees quickly melted giving the impression of large raindrops falling on the river.

The herons didn't look too impressed. They're normally well gone before I get down there.

post-7340-0-36586800-1386253061_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

worst of the winds have passed now...the strongst gusts here maxed out at 52 mph

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Is that sleet I see surely not ?

Posted

Amused that the only rain here today came from an unexpected drizzly spell around lunch time, whereas the Cold Front has weakened considerably in the section due to pass over soon - opposite to yesterday where the most active section passed over this area!

After 2 weeks of dry and calm conditions today has seen leaf fall go to extreme lengths to catch up with normal lol !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Well I am suprised we got a gust of 43mph on the roof of the house, that is quite high for us.

I did go up on Castle Hill around midday and got frequent gusts of 40-50mph+ with a 59mph gust at one point.

Was certainly worthwhile, last time I was in a wind like that was June 2012.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

A multi-fuel burner really comes into its own in the winter. I put a whole load of washing on the clothes horse in front of it before I go to bed and it's dry by the morning. The door is closed so no danger of fire. I usually give it a half-hour tumble because it's stiff without doing any flapping in the wind, but still cheaper - couldn't bear to fork out to dry towels in a tumble drier. Tight-@rse is me!

Sorry for being OT - was a tad breezy here this morning.

Thanks Katemart, just bought my first house and on the list after some saving will be a mulit fuel burner. Very envious you have one!! Clothes dried nicely though today as I see that the highest gust near me ( GTLTW - I am in Manor Park now, so cold ash and henwick are nearer me) was at 64kph....

Just catching up on the news and the latest updates/warning....jeeez looks horrendous out there. High tide due in an hour on east coast, then snow later in Scotland and freezing weather - think I heard them saying not over for 48 hours or something? ....think ill check the other regional posts.

Guest William Grimsley

It was wet and mild with a moderate wind yesterday, here. High Rainfall Rate Yesterday: 5.4 mm/hr 18:02 High Hourly Rainfall Yesterday: 1.8 mm 18:59 Rainfall Yesterday: 2.8 mm High Temperature Yesterday: 10.7°C 16:03 High Wind Gust Yesterday: 28 mph 15:28 High Wind Speed Yesterday: 13 mph 11:13 Wind Run Yesterday: 84.1 mi Dominant Direction Yesterday: 260° W.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Well, we're supposed to be under -1 to -2C uppers but it feels no different to the rest of the week. Posted Image Currently 9C and post-15177-0-90283600-1371639750.gif

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

Well, were supposed to be under -1 to -2C uppers but it feels no different to the rest of the week. Posted Image Currently 9C and

Totally agree! A very pleasant day with plenty of sunshine, a calming breeze and 8.6c. The coldest day this week was Tuesday which started at around 7c but dropped to below 5c in the afternoon.

A massive 21.5c contrast across the UK though with Scilly at 12c and Cairngorm at -9.5c!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

A pleasant enough day with not so much breeze. .Even had a walk in the sunshine.. 6.5c. Very light N.W. breeze 1.1 km/h

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well the model thread is painful it looks like the first third of winter could almost be written off... Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Thanks Katemart, just bought my first house and on the list after some saving will be a mulit fuel burner. Very envious you have one!! Clothes dried nicely though today as I see that the highest gust near me ( GTLTW - I am in Manor Park now, so cold ash and henwick are nearer me) was at 64kph....

Found quite a cheap one on fleabay - it's only a very small one as we only have a very small house! - and fitted it ourselves quite easily. Best of luck in your new home, PB!

• Like 1

Posted

Well the model thread is painful it looks like the first third of winter could almost be written off... Posted Image

Just the usual doom and gloom expected from there when there is nothing particularly showing in the models! Because remember, the models are only accurate up to day 10 at best, so from the 16th of December, it's anyone's guess!
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Found quite a cheap one on fleabay - it's only a very small one as we only have a very small house! - and fitted it ourselves quite easily. Best of luck in your new home, PB!

hmm may have to pm you and find out a litte more on that. - thanks KateMart you star..I think I have a place to put it. I believe I need an outside wall for it to go to and I have an idea. My brother lives in Norway and they say that it is standard for all houses to fit one.... anywhere. On that subject of Norway, Mum said my bro has text to say that they have an awful snow storm in Bergen. Well at least I think she said he had. She may have been confused.

Such a gorgous day this morning - bright sunshine and it was truly lovely! Cold but fabulous. More of that please! Although I believe it is going to get a little milder? May venture to peer through the mod thread window to see what is going down there..apparently a sombre mood and winter is all over or something?

Guest William Grimsley

It was damp and cool with a light wind yesterday, here. High Rainfall Rate Yesterday: 0.0 mm/hr 00:00 High Hourly Rainfall Yesterday: 0.2 mm 16:09 Rainfall Yesterday: 0.4 mm High Temperature Yesterday: 9.6°C 15:15 High Wind Gust Yesterday: 9 mph 00:37 High Wind Speed Yesterday: 3 mph 19:30 Wind Run Yesterday: 6.6 mi Dominant Direction Yesterday: 261° W.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Just the usual doom and gloom expected from there when there is nothing particularly showing in the models! Because remember, the models are only accurate up to day 10 at best, so from the 16th of December, it's anyone's guess!

Yep, I don't think we will really get a handle on what we can expect for the festive period now until around 13th-16th December, even then we are probably still too far out to be sure.

The way I see it in order:

1st place   -    High Pressure still dominant over Europe with UK in s'westerly flow, but generally dry and Posted Image

2nd Place - More active Atlantic, pinging between PM and TM flow, mildish, followed by coolish, but pretty unsettled Posted Image

3rd place outsider - Heights building to our North/North East allowing the NE/E Flow eventually bringing in the cold Posted Image

Just my highly uneducated observations of the models over the past dull few runs, with a bit of gut feeling chucked in for good measure as I won't get slandered for it in here Posted Image

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

7.6c. Humidity 93%. Very light breeze southerly.. Clouds going across the hill tops the other side of Camerton Valley..