Welcome To The Netweather Forum!

Sign In or Register for full access to the community - including the regional forums.

Photo

Super Typhoon Haiyan

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#101 Nigerian Prince

Nigerian Prince
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:56

Yes, not nice here at the moment in Cebu City, central Philippines, very stormy, Cocunuts trees swaying like mad and we had power cuts and the Typhoon Haiyin, or Yolanda as it is known here in the Philippines is getting stronger, there is a real fear of extensive loss of life and extensive damage. Coming just after one of the strongest earthquakes in history,it as not been happy times here. Gender Male, Location Battersea, London, on holiday in Cebu City Phillippines.

#102 Storm Track

Storm Track
  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:00

She will be a one of the most powerful tropical cyclone with sustained winds up to 196mph winds, as a Category 6 hurricane equivalent possible.

#103 Storm Track

Storm Track
  • Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:01

Haiyan will be highest impact to hit the Philipnee with 200mph winds, even possible a Category 6 hurricane.

Edited by Storm Track, 08 November 2013 - 03:08 .

#104 SteveCoops

SteveCoops

http://www.steve-cooper.co.uk/weather/

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:09

I guess they've lost power and/or Internet access as the webcams are all down and the storm chaser twitter accounts haven't been updated in the last 8 hours

#105 Polar Bear

Polar Bear
  • Members
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:31

Yep seems No power... I could only find this on guardian updates 3 hours ago..
http://www.theguardi...-typhoon-haiyan
NEWBURY & READING....

#106 Polar Bear

Polar Bear
  • Members
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:37

Oh this one a little more recent too..http://www.usatoday....yphoon/3465779/
NEWBURY & READING....

#107 Coast

Coast

Rider on the storm

• Members
  • 33,294 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:56

Super Typhoon Haiyan smashes in to Philippines

Three people killed as the most powerful storm recorded this year makes landfall in the Philippines, bringing with it winds close to 200 miles per hour

typhoon-philippine_2727723b.jpg

The strongest typhoon in the world this year and possibly the most powerful ever to hit land battered the central Philippines on Friday, forcing millions of people to flee to safer ground and killing three as it toppled power lines and blew apart houses. Haiyan, a category-5 super typhoon, bore down on the northern tip of Cebu Province, a popular tourist destination with the country’s second-largest city, after lashing the islands of Leyte and Samar with 275kph (170mph) wind gusts and 5-6 metre (15-19 ft) waves. Two people were electrocuted by falling power lines while a third victim was struck by lightning, said Reynaldo Balido, spokesman for the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council. Seven others were injured, one in the lightning incident and others by falling objects, he added

Authorities warned more than 12 million people were at risk, including residents of Cebu City, home to around 2.5 million people, and areas still reeling from a deadly 2011 storm and a 7.1-magnitude quake last month. The super typhoon (is) likely made landfall with winds near 195mph (313kph). This makes Haiyan the strongest tropical cyclone (typhoon) on record to make landfall,” said Jeff Masters, a hurricane expert and director of meteorology at U.S.-based Weather Underground, as the storm approached the South-East Asian country.Typhoons and cyclones of that magnitude can blow apart storm-proof shelters due to the huge pressure they create, which can suck walls out and blow roofs off buildings.

About a million people had taken shelter in more than 20 provinces, after Philippine President Benigno Aquino appealed to people in Haiyan’s path to evacuate from danger spots, such as river banks, coastal villages and mountain slopes. “Our school is now packed with evacuees,” an elementary schoolteacher in southern Leyte who only gave her name as Feliza told a radio station. Leyte and southern Leyte are about 630km (390 miles) southeast of the capital Manila.

The storm’s path includes the resort island of Boracay and other holiday destinations. “Please do not underestimate this typhoon. It is very powerful. We can feel each gust,” Roger Mercado, governor of southern Leyte province, adjacent to Leyte, told DZBB radio. “We lost power and all roads are impassable because of fallen trees. We just have to pray.” In Samar, contact was lost with some towns and villages, said local officials. More than 41,000 people have been evacuated in the province, one of the country’s poorest. “The whole province has no power,” Samar Governor Sharee Tan told Reuters by telephone. Fallen trees, toppled electric posts and other debris blocked roads, she added.

SAAB Convertible

Posted Image

Now, you listen here:'e's not the Messiah,'e's a very naughty boy!
Views & opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own - but the voices made me do it

#108 Fergus Brown

Fergus Brown
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:18

Useful live blog: http://live.aljazeer...Event/Weather_4

The main news site also has some footage.

One report says gusts to 360 kph!

Artist Formerly Known as P3 (AFKAP3)

#109 wimblettben

wimblettben
  • Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:35

Just check out this video to get a small idea of what these people are actually getting.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cK-Kfr2G3a0

And to think that the Philippines are getting about an added 62mph on top of this!unsure.png

#110 Steve C

Steve C
  • Members
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:57

Is there a recent satellite animation of this? I did find one, but have lost the link. unsure.png

I can swear there ain't no heaven, but I pray there ain't no hell.

#111 IBTHToThoseShortwaves

IBTHToThoseShortwaves
  • Members
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:18

Found this on the Beeb.

_70989440_eumetsatimage384.jpg

It's just so huge!

Edited by IBringTheHammer, 08 November 2013 - 12:18 .

Height ASL: 200m

Date of first snow fall locally: 6th Dec
Number of Days of falling snow for winter 2013/14: < 1
Total number of inches of laying snow for winter 2013/14
: < 1

Coldest Temp Recorded for winter 2013/14:  (Technically Autumn: -4 @ 08:10 19/11/2013)

Check out my college project!

#112 triple_x1

triple_x1

nil weather is boring..some is more exciting than others.

• Members
  • 10,196 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:52

Good grief..
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

~ Albert Einstein

#113 Steve C

Steve C
  • Members
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 13:12

Nick Miller said it was unlikely to have exceeded the gusts of Cyclone Olivia -253mph.

http://en.wikipedia..../Cyclone_Olivia

Apparently this was 'only' a category 4.

How would this happen, given that the recorded winds were non-tornadic? :unsure:

I can swear there ain't no heaven, but I pray there ain't no hell.

#114 Coast

Coast

Rider on the storm

• Members
  • 33,294 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 14:51

Footage filmed 'on the ground' by locals and the worst could be still to come:

SAAB Convertible

Posted Image

Views & opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own - but the voices made me do it

#115 Coast

Coast

Rider on the storm

• Members
  • 33,294 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 14:53

Is there a recent satellite animation of this? I did find one, but have lost the link. xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.4azkk_5zmI.png

vis-animated.gif

SAAB Convertible

Posted Image

#116 Beverley Lass

Beverley Lass
  • Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 15:21

Live updates, pics and short videos to be found at the

online Mirror.

http://www.mirror.co...tes-the-2689089

#117 pip22

pip22
  • Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 17:39

Will the storm get stronger as it hits Vietnam/China or is it gonna downgrade to a category 3 or lower?

Edited by pip22, 08 November 2013 - 17:40 .

Covering weather in Chorley, Lancashire every Mondays and Fridays 9am-4pm at my workplace.

Summer 2014:

Storms: 5

#118 Sainsbo

Sainsbo

*insert comment here*

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 17:53

It will likely be a Category 3 on landfall.

Will the storm get stronger as it hits Vietnam/China or is it gonna downgrade to a category 3 or lower?

Hopefully James Reynolds and all the other chasers are okay and haven't updated their Twitter paged due to power outages rather than injury. I'm eager to see what windspeeds/pressure readings they got.

Looking at the Dvorak images from haiyan and some other notable storms, it seems to be that Haiyan is definitely one of the most impressive.

Super Typhoon Tip, hours before maximum intensity:

2q0oqrp.png

Super Typhoon Angela, at maximum intensity. Often compared to Tip in intensity due to Dvorak numbers that were actually higher than Typhoon Tips:

2j3qys1.png

The same goes for Super Typhoon Gay, also at maximum intensity:

29aqqnn.png

And then Haiyan, yesterday, at peak intensity:

34yvjtv.png

I'd say the JMA's estimate of 895mb was a little on the conservative side.

Edited by Sainsbo, 08 November 2013 - 17:55 .

2013:
Hottest day: 32.2C
Coldest night: -6.3C
Highest Wind Gust: 41.4Mph
Wettest Day: 25.8mm

Total rainfall: 704.2mm

#119 tinybill

tinybill

ipswich suffolk

• Members
  • 4,555 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 19:08

http://www.weatherhq...-station/guiuan

still winds  speeds   of  96   mph

#120 Somerset Squall

Somerset Squall

Category 5 Super Typhoon Jangmi (2008)

• Extreme weather worldwide host
  • 9,137 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 19:22

Haiyan has finally lost cat 5 status, but was a cat 5 for 48 hours, which is impressive. Winds are still not to be sniffed at however, at 135kts, high end cat 4.

Edited by Somerset Squall, 08 November 2013 - 19:23 .

Thunderstorms 2005: 17!! Thunderstorms 2006: 13, Thunderstorms 2007: 7, Thunderstorms 2008: 10, Thunderstorms 2009: 6, Thunderstorms 2010: 2, Thunderstorms 2011: 2, Thunderstorms 2012: 6, Thunderstorms 2013: 6

Thunderstorms 2014: 15- January 3rd (2), January 6th (1), January 7th (1), 2nd April (1), 19th May (2) 22nd May (1), 29th May (1) 7th June (1), 27th June (1), 28th June (1), 18th July (1), 19th July (2),

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users