Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2013/2014

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Yes guys it's ramping up following on from previous runs.Looks like a strong Asian mountain torque event?

Once it get's into the ECM range then we can start to monitor the downwelling and the decrease -hopefully-of the zonal winds into the lower levels.

• Like 9

Posted

Yes guys it's ramping up following on from previous runs.Looks like a strong Asian mountain torque event?

Once it get's into the ECM range then we can start to monitor the downwelling and the decrease -hopefully-of the zonal winds into the lower levels.

Indeed!

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

This is brilliant guys and so good to see the warming getting upgraded on recent runs! As snowking mentions, this warming appears to keep going which is what we want now that the vortex is so strong.

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

the warmings shown on fi gfs charts have tended to verify though the temp profile of the vortex didnt end up as stretched as the fi charts showed. with themps as high as -16c now modelled at 10hpa and considerably higher further up, we can see how stretched the vortex becomes and ultimately, split. given how strong the zonal winds have become, if there is a split, i would expect it to propogate quickly down with a quick trop response (as per the 12z run). bit like pulling at that elastic band - once it goes - BOOM!

Indeed. January has the potential to be a very wintry month IMO, potentially severe. Perhaps starting to see the first signs of this now in the extended NWP.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted

the warmings shown on fi gfs charts have tended to verify though the temp profile of the vortex didnt end up as stretched as the fi charts showed. with themps as high as -16c now modelled at 10hpa and considerably higher further up, we can see how stretched the vortex becomes and ultimately, split. given how strong the zonal winds have become, if there is a split, i would expect it to propogate quickly down with a quick trop response (as per the 12z run). bit like pulling at that elastic band - once it goes - BOOM!

I recall reading somewhere Nick that propagation seems to occur more readily in a +ve QBO state.

If so then yes we shouldn't have to wait too long.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

If we look at the anomalous state of the PV (which is currently very strong as assisted by the +QBO) then this is dependant as always on the wave activity flux entering the stratosphere during the preceding period. We know that EP Flux has started the winter low in line with the westerly QBO enhanced zonal wind shear in the lower stratosphere.  This is having the effect of enhancing the polar night jet (PNJ) at the troposphere/stratosphere boundary and in simple terms means that planetary wave breaking entering from the troposphere is significantly mitigated in slowing down the mean zonal winds in the stratosphere.

Hence we see less effect on the strong vortex than we might hope for and might be suggested by forecasts.

This needs to kept in mind when we start to look at any forecasts such as the current GFS forecast. Topographical MT forcings are also influenced/mitigated by the shear effects in the lower stratosphere as suggested above and caution should be applied to the tropospheric interpretation of the effect that this has on the strong vortex and consideration given that the modelling might not be taking the relative strength of the PNJ into account and hence overstating the suggested vortex squeeze/split and consequential surface synoptic pattern

It also seems that troposphere/stratosphere interaction is alterted through sequential changes in EP flux as a way of breaking down the eastward momentum of the energy budget in the lower stratosphere.  On this basis we need to see increased signals for poleward EP flux as a means of breaking down the westerly zonal mean zonal wind anomalies in the stratosphere and allowing the vortex to squeeze and split.

For westerly QBO, broadly neutral ENSO, and -PDO years there have been no significant warmings over the last 50 to 60 years in January. With the solar state in the equation then late January and February holds better possibilities as often stated on here. With the above dynamics in mind, then we require the +QBO to weaken significantly in coming weeks to not just allow this potential Asian MT to be as effective as possible, but we also require the persistence of the Eastern Pacific ridge to sustain and increase the wave 2 activity on the vortex. As wavelengths grow through the winter, the wave activity should become increasingly effective, but its quite an ask to expect any forecasted warming to work effectively as early as from the first part of January

We saw the strong Eastern Pacific ridge in winter 08/09 just like now,, so we get an idea of what might be possible over the coming weeks if the above factors play out favourably and wave activity is sustained. But on the basis of the energy budget above and the resistance from the vortex as described, then we probably require nothing less than a major warming to be meaningfully effective and we should ask how likely this is to happen before the end of January and more especially February.

Here is hoping that I am being over cautiousPosted Image

Looking good for 92 Tamara

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

We saw the strong Eastern Pacific ridge in winter 08/09 just like now,, so we get an idea of what might be possible over the coming weeks if the above factors play out favourably and wave activity is sustained. 

Hi Tamara,

That was such an informative and well explained post above, imho, thank you. Posted Image

Having looked at the NH archived 500 charts, interesting to note that, just as you've mentioned 2008/09, the winter of 1990/91 also featured a strong Eastern Pacific ridge in the Alaska/Aleutians area and like 08/09, especially in the latter half of December.

As we now know, again like 2009, a stratospheric warming took place as we moved further on into Jan/Feb of 1991, which no doubt aided the formation of HLB (like Feb 09, over Scandinavia) and the resultant wintry spell, over the UK.

As you state some teleconnecting factors are broadly similar, to those winters and now (although the PDO was far more negative in Dec 1990 and 2008, see table below).

http://jisao.washington.edu/pdo/PDO.latest

It will be interesting to see how the synoptic pattern evolves over the next couple of weeks in the East Pacific region but having had a quick glance at the forecast models this morning, there's no sign of any significant high pressure ridging gaining a foothold in that area, for the forseeable future. The pattern looks pretty flat and mobile, at this juncture, as it has done for a while.

As has been stated by many of the posters on this thread and indeed by some on the MOD thread, we are going to need a major disruption to the PV, as we move inexorably towards the 2nd half of winter, to have any chance of seeing some HLB developing, further on into Jan/Feb. But at the moment though, any assistance towards that scenario seems distinctly lacking, in the East Pacific region.

Tom.

Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 4

Posted

missed the chance as the 00z extended are now updating but would have liked to see the 12z ecm control in its latter stages. we dont see the ecm strat data beyond day 10 so our only inkling as to whether the ecm sees developments in two weeks as per the gfs is to see if there is any kind of quick trop response  as per yesterdays 12z gfs op.  the last two gfs ops have shown that there will not always be one modelled so need to keep tabs on this.  wasnt paying much attention but i do recall an ecm control looking very blocky over the pole - perhaps yesterdays 00z run.

• Like 1

Posted

Solar flux remains around or just above 150. See below.

2009 was an exception with low solar activity, around 70 Solar flux (given wQBO). Other SSWs with wQBO around 160 or more. So fingers crossed solar flux remains this high or preferably even higher.

post-10577-0-67179400-1387531899_thumb.p

post-10577-0-76764100-1387531906_thumb.j

• Like 7

Posted

missed the chance as the 00z extended are now updating but would have liked to see the 12z ecm control in its latter stages. we dont see the ecm strat data beyond day 10 so our only inkling as to whether the ecm sees developments in two weeks as per the gfs is to see if there is any kind of quick trop response  as per yesterdays 12z gfs op.  the last two gfs ops have shown that there will not always be one modelled so need to keep tabs on this.  wasnt paying much attention but i do recall an ecm control looking very blocky over the pole - perhaps yesterdays 00z run.

The EPS control has some height rises around 2-4/1, but you cant tell if it is related to the strat or not, tho it could be possible. Posted Image The EPS mean has the overall vortex divided into two entities, one over the Canadian sector (connected with the main core in the lower strat) and one over E Asia. It is pretty much in line with the control run, but less intense since it is a 50-member average of course. Posted Image AO does drop just slightly, proportional to the trop. pattern, but not really going negative since it is calculated at SLP.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

ECM32 mean and control are similar as their medium range cousins in this range. 

Posted ImagePosted Image

Further out, the control and the mean go for a reorganisation of the tropospheric P.V. complex. 

Posted Image Posted Image

Tho in the end, the control run raises a high in the polar circle out of nowhere, pretty much like it would just drop out of the sky (hint hint? Posted Image). And the overall energy of the tropospheric P.V. complex is pretty dispersed around. 

Posted Image

As for the GEFS, it goes along with the ECMWF.

Posted Image Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

To sum it up, I don't see any type of trop-strat response that we would expect to see. Actually we don't even have anything firm in the stratosphere to begin with. Posted Image

Best regards.

P.S.: The variety of models+ensemble means (aside of GFS op, tho it is also not as good in the 6z run), have almost unanimously stepped down their game for the stratosphere in the last two runs. I will swing around later in the evening with some 12z products when they become available. 

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 5

Posted

recretos, the 06z gefs mean at T384 looked interesting. also, given that any dramatic effects on the strat are still a fortnight away (if they actually verify), its a little too early to be looking for a trop response (even an 'immediate one'). i'm just hunting for clues at the moment re ecm extended strat. if the output continues to look promising on fi gfs, we should start to look for runs which split the trop vortex as per yesterdays 12z gfs op

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=204&code=0&mode=10&carte=1

temps up to -12C by the end of the run and edging closer towards the pole, so by all accounts a warming event of sorts COULD begin in the next couple of weeks. Certainly a straw worth clutching to at the very least!

Edited by ITSY
  • Like 1

Posted

If this 10hPa warming forecasted in later frames of the GFS verifys then i guess the effects on the troposphere wouldn't show up in 500hPa modeling or even ECM 32day suites at this time.

If there is to be downwelling- a big if i know-then we are probably looking 2-4weeks further on approx.

The extent of the coldest part of the pv as time goes on looks to be shrinking and the squeeze on the vortex shape is consistently modeled but as yet it's still to penetrate the core.

Encouraging though to see this warming extending with each run-let's hope it will undermine the vortex before it fades.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

First bit of dark orange >-30 showing up now

Posted Image

Yes, it needs to be maintained and get into the core of the vortex to force a split though, worth monitoring over the next few days.

Posted

If this 10hPa warming forecasted in later frames of the GFS verifys then i guess the effects on the troposphere wouldn't show up in 500hPa modeling or even ECM 32day suites at this time.If there is to be downwelling- a big if i know-then we are probably looking 2-4weeks further on approx.

thats the question phil re SSW's. recent ones have seen an immediate trop response before the generally accepted series of predicted downwellings occur over the next couple of months. we just dont know until it occurs but the modelling should gves us clues. (as will the predicted flux). IF the warming continues to show and starts to come closer and show the strat vortex splitting, then it is not unreasonable to expect a big trop ridge to be thrown into the arctic and the trop p/v to split apart quite soon afterwards. unlikely before w/c 6th jan and maybe even the week following. what odds on a SSW with a destroyed vortex to follow (and an eastern canandian remnant continuing to fire up the jet across the atlantic!)
  • Like 2

Posted

hi together

off topic

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78821-models-source-question/?p=2867035

for user recretos

respect for your posting and models ( northern hemisphere )

one model is with  black background

one model is with white background

is possible have the source ? or direct link ?

thanks !

Edited by aginob

Posted

@aginob: Hi and welcome. Posted Image
There is no source of these graphics, because I plot them myself, from the raw model data a.k.a. "GRIB" (gridded binary file) system or OPenDAP, GEMPAK, netCDF, etc. Depends on the model, or if it is reanalysis data, etc..

You wont found these graphics anywhere on the internet except here on netweather when I post them, or if someone else plots and posts them. Posted Image I usually try and plot as much various models that I can find, including monthly ensembles, but I am surprised how many monthly/seasonal EPS' have a low model top (making it quite useless for strat. forecasting)

As for the black/white background: That is just my experimenting with the graphical design of the product. And sometimes I change it for better visibility, etc...

Hope I answered your question, even tho it might not be the answer you were hoping to get.

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 2