Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What If? It was the coldest winter in history?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Hi gang ,from a weather fanatics wanting ,yes bring it on ,but a winter from hell [say the coldest and snowiest ever recorded or documented by far would bring hell to thousands ] .we would certainly cope although generally thousands would suffer big time .temp would be a problem but heavy falls of snow combined with wind would cause in my opinion the worst conditions .IF you take the vulnerable who rely on home visits for food shopping and medical assistance , this would be denied for many when roads especially side roads get snow bound .yes and the Govenment do have planning for these events ,and forecasting ahead is more accurate these days for say blocking situations ,snow falls always harder to forecast .i attended a society meeting back in the 80s when a fellow presented severe winters of the 1500 hundreds and 1600hundreds ,all done from records kept by monks and church records ,no temp recording way back then but many parts of NW  /europe froze over for months .with the freezing of the Thames always remember not so much warm water from homes and buisneses enters it ,also it was wider in parts and bridges were built different so large expances of stone supports slowed down the flow ,but even so these freezes were more common .so this winter ahead would be nice to see an even distribution of snow and cold enough to get excited about ,plenty of lamp post watching and radar watching ,i know the last severall yrs have delivered for some but a truly good un as been a while nationally ,2010 was a severe late nov till late christmas affair ,spot on for some ,are we due the big one gang .Posted Image

Posted

They cope pretty easily. -30c weather is not going to kill us.

Anyway I would love it to be the coldest winter in history. That means that we would actually experience a proper arctic winter i.e. 100 ice days. My aim in life for weather is actually to see 100 ice days in my home place. 

I hate to disappoint you but that is about as likely as the temperature in Shetland exceeding 40C this century. Believe me 100 ice days and it is highly doubtful if any part of the UK could cope with that severity for that length of time. 1962-63 was bad enough before our modern infrastructure took over.

• Like 6

Posted

What's AGW got to do with it?

Nuthin', nuthin' at all... that being the point entirely, because I know, you know and everyone else knows how such an event would be explained away.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

What if next summer was the hottest in the history of the world evah ?  Thousands would be dead from heatstroke whilst a goodly proportion of the country would be running around saying how great it is. I'd be the same in a brutal winter. We get what we get, winners and losers. Worst of all is that the global warming nutjobs would have a field day.

True, apparently more than 2,000 people died in the UK during the August 2003 heatwave (15,000 in France!), largely the elderly. I don't think heat in the UK causes as many problems as cold/snow, but it causes significant problems regardless, and heat is more deadly in other parts of the world than cold - such as the US. There is definitely a double-standard here. Just because a problem is less significant, doesn't mean it isn't a problem at all. In general, we should all hope that we never deviate far from the average, because it always causes issues. Cold/snow = bad. Heat = bad. Too much rain = bad. Too little rain = bad. Thunderstorms = bad. Wind = bad. Mild and sunny = good.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Would it be any less 'natural' than cutting off people's power supplies?

I think it would, you can avoid sickness and disease with some common sense a lot of the time?

Electricity is man made anyway is it not? Without it would truly be survival of fittest?

Posted

As for the provision of food; our just in time psychology will be the undoing of us in such circumstances as few people carry stocked cupboards any more although fortunately for me, i still maintain the idea of having at least a good supply of tinned foods. 

I try to stock up a little every winter just in case, at least a fortnights worth of toilet rolls, tinned soups, powdered milk, batteries for torches, etc

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Look at how our ancestors faired in this country about a thousand years ago - before the time of modern heating and electricity and the flimsy type of housing that was around in those days also when people/families worked on the land mostly as farmers, they survived harsher Winters than we have now otherwise we wouldn't be here.

Back in those times it really was the survival of the fittest. So if we got a Winter worse than previous ones we should all be fine as long as you don't slip and wear appropriate clothing.

Posted

Look at how our ancestors faired in this country about a thousand years ago - before the time of modern heating and electricity and the flimsy type of housing that was around in those days also when people/families worked on the land mostly as farmers, they survived harsher Winters than we have now otherwise we wouldn't be here.Back in those times it really was the survival of the fittest. So if we got a Winter worse than previous ones we should all be fine as long as you don't slip and wear appropriate clothing.

back then it would be unusual to be older than 35, maybe 40 years, so there would have been relatively few elderly people. Young, healthy people can easily keep warm.

Posted

back then it would be unusual to be older than 35, maybe 40 years, so there would have been relatively few elderly people. Young, healthy people can easily keep warm.

But someone who is 40 in the year 1000 would have been pretty frail and highly susceptible to illness. In fact, everyone back then was highly susceptible to illness.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

But someone who is 40 in the year 1000 would have been pretty frail and highly susceptible to illness. In fact, everyone back then was highly susceptible to illness.

Indeed, there was no proper medicine in those days either, and there was open sewers, no proper sanitation to take waste away - human and household.

And nearly everyone was crawling in human fleas and lice. If you became seriously unwell through disease you hoped to survive purely on resting in bed and luck.

http://www.historyofyork.org.uk/themes/life-in-viking-york

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

One day it will happen, when of course is the million dollar question..and you'd soon become mega rich if you were accurate in that prediction! But not while it was happening Posted Image

I thought we were getting warmer ( argh! that is another thread and topic!)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Posted (edited) · Hidden by feb1991blizzard, October 13, 2013 - total mess of post
Hidden by feb1991blizzard, October 13, 2013 - total mess of post
Edited by feb1991blizzard
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Snowiest winters across the northern hemphere last few years more please (ps don"t forget the UK this year.)Posted Imagehttp://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover

Posted Image

Where is that photo from?  That is what is known in the trade as a real tonking!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Where is that photo from?  That is what is known in the trade as a real tonking!!

The future ;) Thats December, you won't believe January it gets better! Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I'd hazard a guess at somewhere in Northern Honshu or Hokkaido.

It is Nagano Prefecture.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

as a weather fan i would like to experience a coldest winter on record. How ever some vallid points has been made that is u.k isn't ready for something like that. As a side note james madden would think he just dide and gon to heaven and all the papers take his forecasts i'm sure they would build a thrown for him in their editing rooms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

lot of senceable posts i've seen on here but i do agree with cheese's posts.

Posted

I don't know about the past, but today certain countries have low life expectancies mainly due to high infant mortality rates. Basically if you survive childhood you stand a good chance of living to an old age.

If we have the coldest winter in history it will be awful - you'll never hear the last of James Madden.