Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/10/13 15z ------>

A.J

Posted

I've just got back from Portreath beach, to be honest I was expected a bigger swell, tide was going out so not much chance to get some nice photos of the surf crashing into the pier.  Light rain has just started, and not really that windy at the moment.  Hope this doesn't turn into a damp squib.

Posted

Low is currently down to 992mb starting to fall pretty fast now have been watching all afternoon and will carry on watching it. 

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?lang=en&map=eur_full&area=eur&size=large

Posted

80mph wind gusts WILL cause damage, especially in urban areas like Bristol, no matter how brief it may last. :(

The thing I'm confused about, is Fergie is warning 50-70mph gusts, and maybe 80mph for a time, yet the MO are telling me I'll have 49mph max, doesn't seem to add up to me! Edited by dec10snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

So who's heading out later? I'm going to head out at about 11ish, to get to my destination before the worst winds arrive, going to be a long old night!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

The thing I'm confused about, is Fergie is warning 50-60mph gusts, and maybe 80mph for a time, yet the MO are telling me I'll have 49mph max, doesn't seem to add up to me!

Is that on the Meto website/App?If it is then it might be a case that it hasn't been updated with the 12z data yet?

Posted

So who's heading out later? I'm going to head out at about 11ish, to get to my destination before the worst winds arrive, going to be a long old night!

Hengistbury Head will be a good place to get blown around a bit!

• Like 2

Posted

I have to go to work at 04:00 in the morning. Got to go from Stoke Gifford - Westbury and then later in the morning from Westbury - Eastleigh.Could be an interesting shift.
  • Like 3

Posted

Is that on the Meto website/App?If it is then it might be a case that it hasn't been updated with the 12z data yet?

We're using UKV now as coarser-scale models aren't resolving the mesoscale wind features in the backwash on pressure surge. UKV consistent in past 3 runs. Troubling. More on this in due course for my region especially.
  • Like 6

Posted

Latest from the Met Office;

post-12721-0-55499900-1382893281_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Crowds of sightseers down Freshwater Bay an hour ago, great waves and lots of foam, it has gone in to the calm before the storm period now I think.

The wind has eased somewhat in the last hour.

• Like 1

Posted

Latest from the Met Office;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

all i  say for  us  in east  and south east  it could be 26   years  revisited  after looking  at that  map  its not  looking  good to say the  least

Edited by tinybill

Posted

Yes, from the app!

the attached image is for 12, 3 and 6 AM Monday morning!

post-18937-0-38479500-1382893525_thumb.j

Posted

Yes, from the app!the attached image is for 12, 3 and 6 AM Monday morning!

Ian's answered your query above mate plus maybe see if it updates after all 12z data is released later ?

Posted

I've just got back from Portreath beach, to be honest I was expected a bigger swell, tide was going out so not much chance to get some nice photos of the surf crashing into the pier.  Light rain has just started, and not really that windy at the moment.  Hope this doesn't turn into a damp squib.

The peak winds are not due to hit Cornwall until after midnight.

Posted

Ian's answered your query above mate plus maybe see if it updates after all 12z data is released later ?

Yeah, just seen, but not quite understanding what he's getting at? I really need to do some more learning!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

looks to be heading NE to me and deepening, Isobars are beggining to squeeze

1600hrs

Posted Image

1700hrs

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Chris K, October 27, 2013 - AWD explained better!
Hidden by Chris K, October 27, 2013 - AWD explained better!

Yeah, just seen, but not quite understanding what he's getting at? I really need to do some more learning!!

Basically (and feel free to correct me if i am wrong), the models at their disposal can calculate outputs to a finer detail than most of the publicly available models we have access to. It will take into account many more factors such as local environment as well as many others.

Edited by Chris K
Posted

Basically, and this is a broad brush amatuer reply as I'm not 100% sure either, the global models are designed more toward the longwave, synoptic pattern for the UK and northern hemisphere as a whole.We then have high res short term modelling such as NAE, NMM, UKV, ARPEGE, EURO4, MOGREPS etc for more inter-regional detailed analysis, which should include local environmental and tropographic nuances the GM's might not pick up on.Hence why there might be higher gusts quoted from professionals etc than what's displayed on public website/Apps etc. This is because your local tropographic nuances and other environmental conditions have been taken into account.Perhaps a tweet/e mail to the Met Office might be an idea as I can't guarantee I'm right of course.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

quick heads up.....I'm going to open a new thread in around 15 mins for the evening/overnight period

cheers

AJ

• Like 1

Posted

all i  say for  us  in east  and south east  it could be 26   years  revisited  after looking  at that  map  its not  looking  good to say the  least

Are you in the correct thread?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

ok everyone, new thread here -----------------> http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78293-south-westcentral-southern-england-regional-weather-discussion-271013-1730z/

please finish off any posts now or alternatively post in the new thread

Locking this one in a couple of minutes Posted Image

Posted

Basically, and this is a broad brush amatuer reply as I'm not 100% sure either, the global models are designed more toward the longwave, synoptic pattern for the UK and northern hemisphere as a whole.We then have high res short term modelling such as NAE, NMM, UKV, ARPEGE, EURO4, MOGREPS etc for more inter-regional detailed analysis, which should include local environmental and tropographic nuances the GM's might not pick up on.Hence why there might be higher gusts quoted from professionals etc than what's displayed on public website/Apps etc. This is because your local tropographic nuances and other environmental conditions have been taken into account.Perhaps a tweet/e mail to the Met Office might be an idea as I can't guarantee I'm right of course.

Okay, so basically it may be lower due to topography, geography etc? Thanks mate :)