Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mildest Winter on Record 2013/14

Barry12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

How would you feel if the next winter was the mildest on record and what would you do?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Depressed and I'd wait for the next one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I'd be very angry, upset, disappointed, deflated, frustrated and irate that I would have to endure 3 months of absolutely tedious, mundane, boring and uninteresting weather, unless we had severe gales as per Jan/Feb 1990. Thankfully, I don't see that as being likely, so I'd still go ahead and book that holiday to the Med.

Oh, and traffic levels on NetWeather would be at an all-time low, with only a few rogue mildies posting about how it is 'mild and lovely' every day until March arrives.. lol.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

What will be, will be... Nothing can be done about it.

• Like 5

Posted

I was born in '89 so it would be somewhat nostalgic for me, considering how many mild winters I've had to endure. I've more memories of mild south westerlies than bitter north easterlies! It really wouldn't bother me but, I would like to see a cold winter or a good cold spell in an average/mild winter. What will be will be.What would I do? - Live my life as normal.

What will be, will be... Nothing can be done about it.

Haha, snap!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I couldn't live my life normally; I'd suffer a mental breakdown and be forced into a psychiatric ward with white straps inside a padded room, with men and women in white coats with big needles saying 'Everything is going to be alright, we're here to help you.'

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted

I couldn't live my life normally; I'd suffer a mental breakdown and be forced into a psychiatric ward with white straps inside a padded room, with men and women in white coats with big needles saying 'everything is going to be alright, we're here to help you'.

I get the impression that's not too far from reality for many on here, makes you wonder why they live on an island with a maritime climate. Edited by March Blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted

How would you feel if the next winter was the mildest on record and what would you do?

Unfortunately I have had to endure at least 2 near mildest Winters on record during my lifetime so I'm sure I would survive.  Having said that I would not be happy!  What would I do?  Probably moan on here a lot!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted

The IPCC expects a weakening of the Atlantic Ocean circulation by 12% to 54% by the end of the century....on that basis I'll kep hold of my crampons and ice axe for the time being.

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 3

Posted

I get the impression that's not too far from reality for many on here, makes you wonder why they live on an island with a maritime climate.

You'd get bored of the cold and snow if it was like that every winter, atleast if it were the mildest Winter on record, everyone would be even more excited for the next winter.

Posted

p.s who nearly had a heart attack when they saw the title? Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I would go into winter hibernation just like the rest of the winter rodents on here lol!Posted Image

also i would have to travel back up to Cumbria and climb a elevated 3000 ft to get my buzz ,not that i go up there every year anyway

A good thread this though Barry95,i feel there will be lots of questions and answers on this thread over the winter months.Posted Image

Edited by allseasons-si

Posted

Try to avoid coming onto this forum especially the model thread lol.

Would probably be a bit annoyed frustrated but hey ho the weather will do what it wants I guess. I'd hope for some active Atlantic weather to add some interest, if it was repeated weeks on end of a Bartlett feeding mild mostly cloudy weather with a bit of drizzle/patchy rain then I'd get frustrated/bored with it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Hmm If it turned out that bad I would probably have to think about purchasing a yearly prescription of meds for the depression.

Seems like sometimes the whole year revolves around waiting for the next winter... Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny

It won't be....

BFTP

and the winning numbers for this Saturdays lotto are.........

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

As long as we saw plenty of blue skies and not endless rain it wouldn't bother me too much. My house is cold in the winter and I would save a fortune on heating bills.

When was the last mild winter which was also sunnier than normal?

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted

and the winning numbers for this Saturdays lotto are.........

I think the odds for the mildest winter on record differ slightly....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As long as we saw plenty of blue skies and not endless rain it wouldn't bother me too much. My house is cold in the winter and I would save a fortune on heating bills.When was the last mild winter which was also sunnier than normal?

Most of the mild winters of the last 20 years have been sunnier than average in eastern Britain, but it is harder to achieve in the west due to the association with westerly winds.  2007/08 was the last time that it was achieved over a large majority of the country with only western Scotland and Ulster missing out on the sunshine excess, though admittedly most of the excess sunshine stemmed from the one month (February).  Good examples from further back were the winters of 1998/99 and 1999/00, during which very few regions reported below average sunshine.

If we had the mildest winter on record, I would most likely suffer due to the implied lack of cold and/or snowy weather, but I might not mind it too much if we had above-average sunshine, a variety of mild weather setups, some active weather from Atlantic depressions, and if the record temperatures were assisted by some record-breaking warm spells- something like the 13th February 1998 setup but with more of a southerly component to the airflow sending the warm sunshine north of the Scottish border, for instance.  If the warmth was consistent rather than outstanding and we got mostly benign conditions, though, the word "boring" would soon start to feature heavily.  I can safely say that I would be far more interested in a repeat of the winter of 1989/90 than 1988/89.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I couldn't live my life normally; I'd suffer a mental breakdown and be forced into a psychiatric ward with white straps inside a padded room, with men and women in white coats with big needles saying 'everything is going to be alright, we're here to help you'.

Now now you know white coats and mental issues don't mix, see what happen to Asda and Tesco.

http://news.sky.com/story/1146563/mental-costumes-asda-and-tesco-apologise

I haven't seen the snow shovel discounted yet so not too worried re mildest on record just yet

http://www.tesco.com/direct/sena-aluminium-snow-shovel/495-3997.prd

• Like 1

Posted

I'd be pretty disappointed but there would still be some snow on the fells even in the mildest winter, so I could still get my snow fix. If the summer had been another washout then I'd be pretty gutted but this summer was great so can't be too greedy!

• Like 2