Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 17th July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks like the UHI in London maybe having some influence near there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I work in Totton (West Southampton) and Cu tried to build all afternoon but kept collapsing.  Late afternoon the sky cleared and a CB could be see towering into the clear blue sky to my east.  This was the Basingstoke cell:

Posted Image

I could still see it from home in Christchurch!  Typically, I was working in Basingstoke every day last week....  Always in the wrong place!

Posted

Cumulonimbus exploding all over the place lol. This one looking westwards from A41.

Took a great shot of if below! :D

post-8635-0-82260200-1374084732_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

I can see a massive anvil to my north west, must be MILES away!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I can see a massive anvil to my north west, must be MILES away!

I think you can see what I can.. Looks to be towards Chelmsford, gaining height rapidly but nothing either side of it!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Cumulonimbus exploding all over the place lol. This one looking westwards from A41.

Took a great shot of if below! Posted Image

Looks like it has a face, haha

Posted

Posted Image

A view from near Ciren about 5 mins ago. Could do with some rain as the wheat in the foreground of the shot is dying!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Just had a cheeky little torrential downpour in Basingstoke. Cooled things off a tadge, but no thunder. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

It's all collapsed around here and up Cambridge way by the look of it. Clear blue skies again. The biggest cb to my NE had a pretty decent shape but was obviously just missing the X factor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Here's some mobile snaps of the cumulonimbus building up a couple of hours ago, really did grow fast once it got there it was expanding!

post-11361-0-34735900-1374086342_thumb.jpost-11361-0-60289200-1374086344_thumb.jpost-11361-0-81206300-1374086346_thumb.jpost-11361-0-05490600-1374086349_thumb.jpost-11361-0-24521400-1374086350_thumb.jpost-11361-0-36424500-1374086352_thumb.jpost-11361-0-88184700-1374086776_thumb.j

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Good to see some storms erupt again for some :) 

Next week though looks quite remarkable as it stands for proper storm activity. 

My prediction will be that there will be outstanding homegrown ones due to the extreme heat here already, however, I think there will be every chance that huge MCS's will obliterate S and SE England and perhaps the Midlands and East Anglia at the peak of the activity. The charts I'm seeing now scream it! No frustrating Eastward shift looks to happen with these either, looks old school straight up from the South to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Just got back from a drive. Seems to me that some areas just had a bit of rain, virtually nothing. Others there was huge puddles at the side of the road...It did start raining light-moderate with huge drops as I left. First pic here is one of the cells from earlier, I believe. One which was around East-Bucks into Herts. 

Second pic was just some decaying cells looking north-eastwards further into Hertfordshire. 

post-8427-0-19786400-1374088752_thumb.jp

post-8427-0-78340400-1374088780_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

The Bracknell storm - here is a radar snap of it at it's most intense hitting at 32mm per hour rain rates (unless hail) looks like 30-40 lightnings from that one going by the detector (possibly many more)

post-11361-0-13193700-1374089003_thumb.p

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Models show some serious heat moving up from the south due to low pressure to the SW next week and with the instability and moisture from this low, we will probably see the best chance of the year to see thunderstorms in most southern counties. So next week surely needs watching, with a slight risk of isolated thunderstorms over Wales and the SW tomorrow.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

So am I gathering that the storms will be a mostly southern event?  Typical!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Your neck of the woods has done exceptionally well over the past 2-3 years - don't forget that amazing supercell storm last year! That'd do me for the next 50 years! Posted Image

Posted

Your neck of the woods has done exceptionally well over the past 2-3 years - don't forget that amazing supercell storm last year! That'd do me for the next 50 years! Posted Image

lol can you ever get enough of thunderstorms?  Not me!!

Posted

Have you actually been following where most of the thunderstorms have been occurring in the last 12 months or so ?! The North east has fared much better than the south.

Posted

I hear what people are saying - and not disputing this however next weeks potential looks great - possibly hours of thunder - we have had short (OK some violent) storms - I want a good old fashioned storm man - howay not too much to ask for! lol :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I think we have to go back to 1997 or 1999 for the last French Import MCS to hit London.   I remember some being literally arriving at 9pm (7pm for most southern UK) and going on until 4-5 in the morning, just constant booming thunder, Absolutely humid conditions but a nice cool breeze on the passing of some cells.

Hail, torrential rain and gusty winds and constant lightning shows.

That was the 90s, wonder if we will see that next week???

I reckon Sunday night/early hours Monday morning something might kick off. Two nice troughs that could kick things off in the evening. Just weather or not they make the journey northwards is another question.

Posted Image

Edited by Robbie Garrett