Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot and settled spell discussion and temperature reports July 2013

Posted

Frustratingly hazy here, we seem to have done consistently well temperature wise without being near the top of the rankings at any point. Still 25C with the haze but if anything it's got heavier in the past hour.

I don't mind the haze at all. You still feel the heat of the sun with it feeling less strong on the skin. It's still another very warm, sunny day - just as long as the cloud doesn't increase!

This is one bizarre hot spell: North Sea cloud plaguing the SE but not the NE, Edinburgh 7C warmer than London and Northern Ireland recording the highest temperatures so far. I don't recall seeing this summer temperature pattern before.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

I think Weather-history posted a video of the forecast for June 27th 1995 which seemed to have some similarities to this current spell:

Edited by Scorcher

Posted

Its not unusual really when you factor in clod cover/position of high and sea breeze.

Anyway around 27/28.c, having to use Leeds Bradford airport (previous meto station) at 26.c, one I use offline. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Outside: 26.3c

Office: 27.5c

Living room: 22.5c  (will rise when I get home and get some windows open)

Very hazy today and feeling very humid too.

Posted

A lot warmer here today with a max of 25.0C.

Its a pretty unpleasant day though as the humidity is 70% at the moment.

Currently 24.6C with a dewpoint of 18.7C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Aye, since all the cloud disappeared - a couple of hours ago - both temp and humidity have skyrocketed...Tonight is going to be rather uncomfortable...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

30°C today in the North or tomorrow in the South, it has to be Posted Image

Well, looks like no 30C today unfortunately due to an area of high cloud earlier suppressing temperatures slightly. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The met office have issued a level 3 heatwave alert for parts of the east midlands, Yorkshire and humberside

Current watch level: Level 3 - Heatwave Action

Issued at: 1134 on Fri 12 Jul 2013

There is a 90 % probability of heatwave conditions between 1200 on Friday and 2000 on Sunday in parts of England.

Temperatures are expected to climb close to heatwave thresholds across the East Midlands, and Yorkshire and the Humber regions during Friday and Saturday. Then, the highest temperatures are expected to transfer southwards to affect East of England, Southeast England, London and parts of Southwest England during Saturday and Sunday. The highest chance of heatwave thresholds being met is for Yorkshire and the Humber, so Watch Level 3 here. For the other mentioned regions, a Level 2 remains.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/

Posted

Its 25.4C now with a dewpoint of 19.6C. Posted Image

Its not that warm really but with the 70% humidity its just horrid.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Hot and horrid. Thankfully have a cool room due to blackout curtains. Looks they'll stay closed all evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

26.7c max dew point 13c.

Now seem to be dropping but not sure if that's because I've opened my windows and the sensor is right to the window so the cooler house air could be interfering. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

A much warmer day with a high of 25.5c which I didn't expect. I was thinking something around the 23c mark. Anyway, contrary to the above posters I think it feels lovely in a nice breeze. The past 2 days have seen an unwelcome autumnal chill so this warmth is so welcome.

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

Should we in Ireland be calling this the month of 'The Irish High' ...?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

29C at Church Fenton today. Feels stuffy - but at least a breeze has developed. An uncomfortable night to come.. and all of this after a chilly July night, if the hourly obs are anything to go by the temperature fell below 9C this morning, it was also misty and damp when I woke up at 6am. I love big diurnal ranges.

Edited by cheese

Spent yesterday in Mid Wales, sunny leaving home, a few clouds on the way up, but these cleared to give a sunny afternoon and evening.

A sunny but hazy start today, more hazy sunshine on the journey back home, but sunnier back home again.

Max Temps Mumbles 19.7c (Thur) and 20.8c (Fri)

Max Temps Blackpill 21.1c (Thur) and 22.2c (Fri)

Considerably warmer than this inland.

Edited by Jackone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Hopefully the elusive 30c gets achieved tomorrow. Its not a classic summer month until it has been reached IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Hopefully the elusive 30c gets achieved tomorrow. Its not a classic summer month until it has been reached IMO.

Wouldn't be surprised if 90F gets pushed tomorrow and frankly if charts like the GFS come off after a brief and slight dip the temperatures could be soaring at the end of next week.

Posted

Temps rising again here so fairly convinced the cool house air affected the sensor. House went up from 22.5c to 23.9c and outside now 25.2c rising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Unfortunately no sign of pleasant warm weather just hot and unpleasant. Can we have 22C back please with nice refreshing breeze.

Posted

Another nice sunny day, temp only 20.9c max here compared to more like 26 further inland, 27 at Chivenor in north Devon. Sea breeze still having a pretty major (more so than it often does) effect on temps here a few miles in from the south coast.

However tomorrow Exeter is actually forecast 30C by the Met Office! can't remember when I last saw that before.. looks like with less sea breeze development tomorrow will be significantly hotter than today, In fact if the Met Office's temp map is correct we will have no sea breeze so might reach around 30C here tomorrow!

Think we better get the house as cool as possible later this evening or early.. mind you it's 16.5c here now so another cool quite possibly-sub 10c night likely, so a high diurnal range tomorrow.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Loving this spell of hot weather . Long may it continue. Its about time to be fair.

Posted

This is one bizarre hot spell: North Sea cloud plaguing the SE but not the NE

Not true we've been plagued with cloud all week up here.  Last Saturday was the last day to manage as much as 11 hours of sun and it's not pleasant fluffy cumulus cloud that's blotting out the sun. Horrible overcast stratus most of the time - Wednesday was worst but every day has seen extended overcast periods especially in the evening. Even when the sun is out there is a lot of cloud, skies are not very blue and the sun is hazy.

A very forgettable spell so far. No better than 22nd June to 13th July 2010 despite the synoptics looking much better. I would never have thought we would not manage one day with 12 hours of sun this week. The lack of clear blue skies has been very disappointing.

Edited by Richard2901

Posted

Inverness has done pretty well though looking at the temperatures, and Dundee and Aboyne both managed 28C today. Surprised Aberdeen hasn't joined in the fun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Today is the first day of the spell when I felt particularly uncomfortable out there during the afternoon, mainly because the 28-degree heat has been accompanied by a close, stuffy, airless feel, unlike on previous hot days.  Tuesday was about as hot as today, but nowhere near as uncomfortable.

Philip Eden at Climate-uk.com has England and Wales sunshine up at 152% of normal for the 1st-10th July, in spite of the 1st-5th having been a couple of percentage points below normal.  Given that the reasonably clear anticyclonic spell looks like continuing until at least the 20th now, many parts of the country could be staring at one of the driest and sunniest Julys on record, in stark contrast to last year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Very warm but pleasant day today, not humid up here on the Malverns, although I could see the haze looking down at the Severn valley. Currently 22.0oC outdoors, 23oC inside!