Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Odd Cloud

Posted

Normally I would have called this a holepunch or fallstreak cloud but . . . where's the cirrocumulus or altocumulus? All I saw was the fallstreak. Was it meerly an odd looking cirrus 'mare's tail'?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted

I am pretty sure I saw this same cloud at about 10 this morning and thought it looked a little angelic.

Posted

I am pretty sure I saw this same cloud at about 10 this morning and thought it looked a little angelic.

Yep, would have been about that time I took pic.

Knocker: I realise a fallstreak is something different. However, this did look very much like the central inverted cone within a holepumch but without the surrounding cirrocumulus. There was a lot of fine cirrus about but it really did look distinct with a denser texture.

This is a real holepunch I took a wee while ago: the perspective is not the same though as I was almost directly under this one

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

But there doesn't appear to be much Ci in the photo, let alone CC frog, which I suspect is reported much more than it should be. Ci can occur at different levels and in odd shapes which I suspect that's what this is. Then what do I know.Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

The cloud is cirrus with virga, precipitation not reaching the ground, these have the knickname of "jellyfish"

• Like 1

Posted

The cloud is cirrus with virga, precipitation not reaching the ground, these have the knickname of "jellyfish"

Posted Image

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

Yep, would have been about that time I took pic.

Knocker: I realise a fallstreak is something different. However, this did look very much like the central inverted cone within a holepumch but without the surrounding cirrocumulus. There was a lot of fine cirrus about but it really did look distinct with a denser texture.

This is a real holepunch I took a wee while ago: the perspective is not the same though as I was almost directly under this one

Posted Image

And that is a layer Ac.

Posted

Thanks Sprites, I think the mystery is solved.Knocker: Thanks for clarifying my Ac and Ci

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.

It looks like one of those Sprites you see in space !

But it's a Cirrus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Posted Image

This must be mid level cloud with virga.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Normally I would have called this a holepunch or fallstreak cloud but . . . where's the cirrocumulus or altocumulus? All I saw was the fallstreak. Was it meerly an odd looking cirrus 'mare's tail'?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I do like the cirrus, can make a lot of patterns, I especially like mares tails ahead of weather systems. it looks like at the back of the photos the sky has wavy mares tails/cirrus. depending on what way there pointing and if they are pointing up/down or towards a side and how long they are then this can be a sign of different types of weather. can indicate heavy rain and strong winds for example.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

• 2 months later...