Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Only carinthian as far as I know

Cheeky Boy ! I know I have past my prime but not quite old as the hills yet.

Posted

Any more ancient artifacts of late being found in the Alps as the glaciers retreat?

As Knocker says, the only ancient artifacts found whilst scatching about on the base of the Pasterze the other day were other Alpine Club Members !

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Looks like the first major dump of the season due this week - down to fairly low levels too.

All in time for me booking my first trip of the season today :) Christmas in Mayrhofen.

Posted

Looks like the first major dump of the season due this week - down to fairly low levels too.

All in time for me booking my first trip of the season today :) Christmas in Mayrhofen.

Yes, Chris we have our first heavy snow alert of the season as a active cold front hits the Alps and brings the unusual October warmth to an abrupt end. There is some variation on the predicted snowfall amount still, however the snow level will be down to 900m-1200m widely during Wednesday and Thursday and rising to 1500m by the end of the week. The amount of snowfall progged for our location is 75cm on the local mountain at 2220m. We should received a more accurate total later this morning. Mayrhofen seems a great choice for the Christmas festivities and of course the Hintertux Glacier will offer great ski-ing near by  if a shortage were to occur in the lower valley.

C

Posted

Yes, Chris we have our first heavy snow alert of the season as a active cold front hits the Alps and brings the unusual October warmth to an abrupt end. There is some variation on the predicted snowfall amount still, however the snow level will be down to 900m-1200m widely during Wednesday and Thursday and rising to 1500m by the end of the week. The amount of snowfall progged for our location is 75cm on the local mountain at 2220m. We should received a more accurate total later this morning. Mayrhofen seems a great choice for the Christmas festivities and of course the Hintertux Glacier will offer great ski-ing near by  if a shortage were to occur in the lower valley.

C

Yes, snow forecasts can vary quite widely - out of interest, which sites do you use for skiing weather? - personally, I use Bergfex and find it pretty good.

I go to Mayrhofen most Christmas' - as you have have already mentioned, the glacier ensures that there is always somewhere to ski - last Christmas it was very mild, but still managed 1 powder day I think.

Posted

Yes, snow forecasts can vary quite widely - out of interest, which sites do you use for skiing weather? - personally, I use Bergfex and find it pretty good.

I go to Mayrhofen most Christmas' - as you have have already mentioned, the glacier ensures that there is always somewhere to ski - last Christmas it was very mild, but still managed 1 powder day I think.

Morning all,

Snow arrived spot on time. Blowing around in the gusty NW wind. Forecast of 14 cm this afternoon with a continue drop in temps. -4c in the village and -7c on the berg. Chris, Bergfax is a very good information site for most UK interests in all that's ski-ing and general weather expectations and its free. Julian here on Net Weather provides a comprehensive latest ski-ing conditions and forecast, which I know doubt he will soon start providing this service again and I sure Mayrhofen will be in his reports. We use a portal service, which comes at a cost but provides shortest spatial resolution 1x1km for almost hourly snowfall rates which is used for our piste planning and schedules.

c

• Like 2

Posted

Morning all,

Snow arrived spot on time. Blowing around in the gusty NW wind. Forecast of 14 cm this afternoon with a continue drop in temps. -4c in the village and -7c on the berg. Chris, Bergfax is a very good information site for most UK interests in all that's ski-ing and general weather expectations and its free. Julian here on Net Weather provides a comprehensive latest ski-ing conditions and forecast, which I know doubt he will soon start providing this service again and I sure Mayrhofen will be in his reports. We use a portal service, which comes at a cost but provides shortest spatial resolution 1x1km for almost hourly snowfall rates which is used for our piste planning and schedules.

c

Have this latest picture provided by Bergfax. Snowing heavy in the Voralberg at elevation. This is outside the famous Madrisa Hotel at the head of Gargellen Valley (aprox 1500m asl )post-3489-0-83228500-1413981033_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Have this latest picture provided by Bergfax. Snowing heavy in the Voralberg at elevation. This is outside the famous Madrisa Hotel at the head of Gargellen Valley (aprox 1500m asl )attachicon.gifmadrisa.jpg

Wow...............wish I lived where you do.

Posted

Guten Morgan,

Lots of snow in the mountains this morning with a storm raging. Snow level down to around 1000m, wet at lower levels but blowing around above 1300m, freezing level 1200m. About 40 cm expected at village level, possible more as the day progresses. The picture attached is from the nearby resort of Obertauren which does well from this set up with is exposed location in the Northern range of the Tauren. Check out the flag will give you some idea of the wind strength as the storm rages in the mountains. Sunshine forecast from tomorrow but should be some lasting snow into the weekend above 1500m.

Cpost-3489-0-51356900-1414050548_thumb.jp

Posted

Picture of todays snowfall in the Tirol.post-3489-0-66296600-1414076841_thumb.jp

Posted

Hintertux was reporting 80cm of fresh this morning, but closed - personally if I worked there and it was the first serious powder day of the season, I'd stay close it too!!

Wonder how many of them were out on the mountain still??

Posted

Even if Nov and Dec to be only average temperatures, 2014 is set to be the warmest year of measurement history in Austria. So far this year, 5 months have recorded temperatures to be in the top 10 warmest ever months recorded over here.

Quite an amazing statistic.

C

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Weird weather over here at the moment. 50mm of rain last weekend. 20cm of fresh snowfall this morning. None forecast 7 days ago !

Posted

This mornings surprise snowfall.post-3489-0-49078500-1416324083_thumb.jp

Posted

Guten Morgan vom Katschberg. A nice surprise.post-3489-0-69898000-1416388363_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Guten Tag carinthian. Always great to read updates from someone actually there in the mountains! All to often a person can read the skimpy updates from websites such as Ski Club of GB and snowforecast.com (and also model output) and get the wrong impression about the weather in the different regions of the Alps.

As you say, a nice surprise to see Katschberg managing to get in on the snow action as the models were suggesting it wouldn't fall as far east as you. Can this snowfall survive the warmer blip forecast for the coming weekend and early next week and help form the piste base for the coming season? Hope so.

What date does Katschberg open for the season?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Guten Tag carinthian. Always great to read updates from someone actually there in the mountains! All to often a person can read the skimpy updates from websites such as Ski Club of GB and snowforecast.com (and also model output) and get the wrong impression about the weather in the different regions of the Alps.

As you say, a nice surprise to see Katschberg managing to get in on the snow action as the models were suggesting it wouldn't fall as far east as you. Can this snowfall survive the warmer blip forecast for the coming weekend and early next week and help form the piste base for the coming season? Hope so.

What date does Katschberg open for the season?

Hallo BW, no the snow did not last. Presently barren at the moment with just rime frost. The lifts were planned to open on 29th Novemeber 2015 but this has not been possible. Some welcome sno expected at weekend and into next week. Will need a fairly substantial fall to help piste preparation for Christmas holidays. Fingers crossed 1

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Hallo BW, no the snow did not last. Presently barren at the moment with just rime frost. The lifts were planned to open on 29th Novemeber 2015 but this has not been possible. Some welcome sno expected at weekend and into next week. Will need a fairly substantial fall to help piste preparation for Christmas holidays. Fingers crossed 1

C

Not good news! And I suspect there's many a piste manager worrying about their opening dates at the moment. Hopefully the next week will see some decent snowfall for most regions of Austria. We have a friend in Spittal in your part of Austria (Carinthia) and they've just posted on Facebook that their first snow of the winter has arrived (pic below). Hopefully as I write you're watching the white stuff fall!

post-20040-0-54887900-1417687107_thumb.j

Posted

Not good news! And I suspect there's many a piste manager worrying about their opening dates at the moment. Hopefully the next week will see some decent snowfall for most regions of Austria. We have a friend in Spittal in your part of Austria (Carinthia) and they've just posted on Facebook that their first snow of the winter has arrived (pic below). Hopefully as I write you're watching the white stuff fall!

attachicon.gif111 karala.jpg

hi Malcolm,Yes, snowing now in the village, about 10cm at 1600m. Spittal au der Drau, not a million miles from here due south, about the biggest town in the region, nice place on the lake.

Most of the resort here is booked for the Festive Holidays, so snow will be welcome. Freezing level down to 500m by start of next week so hopefully more snowfall next week will give a base to work on.

C

• Like 1

Posted

Picture of todays most welcome snowfall in the village.

Cpost-3489-0-93331600-1417702634_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely day in my favourite spot, The Gontal Valley, about 3/4 hours hike from Katschberg village. Even has a pub and a 2700m mountain to climb or off piste ski and snow board down. Just paradise.

Cpost-3489-0-75646100-1418049729_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted

Guten Morgan vom Katschberg. " Tha she blows ", Minus -9c presently. All snow blowers in full force operation ( 750) placed over the two mountains. There has been a big investment to service this operation with a man made reservoir.

Cpost-3489-0-12064800-1418200121_thumb.jp