Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

May 10th 2004: thunderstorms in the west

Posted

Remember this. A dry morning then thunderstorms broke out and they drifted southwards. Very strange to see a thunderstorm moving from north to south. They were quite potent.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I'm glad somebody made a thread about these storms. I remember them, more so the ones on the 11th which was a surprisingly warm day considering wind direction. Torrential rain, even hail, very slow moving and really loud thunder! Two great storm days which actually provided the last rain for some time in that month.

Any idea why the storms broke out at all? Why was the air source so warm if from the north?

Posted

I'm glad somebody made a thread about these storms. I remember them, more so the ones on the 11th which was a surprisingly warm day considering wind direction. Torrential rain, even hail, very slow moving and really loud thunder! Two great storm days which actually provided the last rain for some time in that month.Any idea why the storms broke out at all? Why was the air source so warm if from the north?

There must have been a very warm pool of air over Scandinavia which then tracked across the North Sea to the far north of the UK. It was unusually warm in the far north for time of year. Baltasound in the Shetlands got to 19.1C on the 8th May 2004, whilst many places much further south didnt even get into the teens that day.8th May 2004http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxrzjQvk3E4 Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2004/Rrea00220040508.gif

During the week leading up to this event, we had low pressure over eastern Britain, northerlies pumping cold air into the east-Atlantic, France and Spain and southerlies pumping warm air up into Scandinavia, so as a result we got warm air coming down from the north afterwards.  It ended up like a continental easterly type except that the winds were coming down from the north.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

• 11 months later...
Posted

I'm glad somebody made a thread about these storms. I remember them, more so the ones on the 11th which was a surprisingly warm day considering wind direction. Torrential rain, even hail, very slow moving and really loud thunder! Two great storm days which actually provided the last rain for some time in that month.Any idea why the storms broke out at all? Why was the air source so warm if from the north?