Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Noctilucent Clouds 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Was expecting this topic to be started a while ago! Isn't it approaching that time of year where there is always a glow on the horizon in northern areas of the UK?

Noctilucent clouds therefore should be able to be seen now.

Have you seen any?

• Like 1

Posted

You're right; given the correct conditions, they should be appearing by around now. However, with the weather patterns we've got at the moment, I'll be lucky to see the Full Moon, let alone anything as faint and ephemeral as NLCs.

I don't know whether any research has been done into the upper-atmosphere conditions necessary and whether we'll get them given this spring's oddness.

Posted

You're right; given the correct conditions, they should be appearing by around now. However, with the weather patterns we've got at the moment, I'll be lucky to see the Full Moon, let alone anything as faint and ephemeral as NLCs.

I don't know whether any research has been done into the upper-atmosphere conditions necessary and whether we'll get them given this spring's oddness.

Clear skies tonight, all the way through. Full moon should be visible?I've never seen any of these clouds, tonight might be a good opportunity to do so though?

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Taken by Graeme Whipps on May 24, 2013 @ Chapel Of Garioch, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted

NEW: Spaceweather.com is now posting daily satellite images of noctilucent clouds (NLCs), which hover over Earth's poles at the edge of space. The data come from NASA's AIMspacecraft. The north polar "daisy" pictured below is a composite of near-realtime images from AIM assembled by researchers at the University of Colorado's Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP). http://www.spaceweather.com/

Posted ImageNoctilucent Clouds

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 6

Posted

Early in the season but there are some NCs showing in the evening twighlight tonight. Could be a good show in the next 30 mins - an hour or so. Wel worth a look directly North.

Posted

Aye, got them here F.  Rippled and surprisingly high to the north.  Beautiful.

Posted
Noctilucent Clouds 
Taken by Stuart Atkinson on May 31, 2013 @ Kendal, Cumbria, UK Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

Almost as beautiful as the Northern lights last night here in N.I. ..

Edited by be cause
  • Like 1

Posted

Bit of a poo for me! Just as things got going and I was getting the camera ready low cloud rolled in. Waited for half an hour or so but not a lot better so I gave up and went to bed. Hopefull try again tonight.

Posted

NOCTILUCENT CLOUDS: On May 30-31, sky watchers across northern Europe witnessed a vivid display of noctilucent ("night-shining") clouds. M. J. S. Ferrier photographed the electric-blue ripples from Barassie Beach in Troon, Scotland: http://www.spaceweather.com/

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Going to go for a walk around 3am in a couple hours, see if I can see any. :D

• Like 2

Posted

NOCTILUCENT CLOUDS IN MOTION: The northern season for noctilucent clouds (NLCs) is underway. Since the middle of May, NASA's AIM spacecraft has been seeing banks of electric-blue NLCs circling Earth's north pole on a regular basis. Now, observers report that the clouds are spreading south. Pete Lawrence of Selsey UK photographed this apparition on June 3th (click to set the clouds in motion): http://www.spaceweather.com/

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

NLC from Bridgnorth, around 12.30am

post-3685-0-84407600-1370736960_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Posted

@Hudsonweather Here's a picture of last night's noctilucent clouds I took near Bramhope http://flic.kr/p/eGsjE6 

• Like 1

Posted

I have to say that last nights display is one of the best for a good number of years visually, almost no cloud-cover here in the Peaks and structure could easily be seen along with some slight movement over a duration of time. Unfortunately I saw the clouds whilst on the way back from the local and by which time it was already coming up close to 3am. I didn't get to photograph it this time round but many others did, and fingers x'd for a similar display tonight along with the clear skies.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

ive yet to see any... is derby too far south? have i just been unlucky? i must addmitt im not usually awake at 2300... lol.

Posted

Derby should be OK MMR You do need a cloudless sky to the North and it helps to get as far away from light pollution as possibe.

I couldn't see a thing last night, after a brilliant sunny day it clouded over and was totally overcast by the time it got dark.

• Like 1

Posted

@Hudsonweather Here's a picture of last night's noctilucent clouds I took near Bramhope http://flic.kr/p/eGsjE6 

What settings do you use mate? They look alot smarter than mine! - Im still a noob with my dslr :)

Posted

They aren't mine, follow the links through twitter or the flickr pages.They were tweeted to Paul Hudson and so appeared on my feed.

Posted

They aren't mine, follow the links through twitter or the flickr pages.They were tweeted to Paul Hudson and so appeared on my feed.

Ahh right I see, sorry ^^

Posted

Very subtle hints of a display to the north this late evening, 11.30pm I attempted some SLR shots with mixed results but as of yet nothing as spectacular seen unlike yesterday am. As with most of the Noctilucent Clouds i've seen the best usually show up during the morning hours an hour or two before sunrise, wether this is just co-incidence or related somewhat due to nocturnal temps I wouldn't be able to say however on a observational value the frequency is more noticeable.