Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm chasing video from UK in 2012 for TV

Hello all,

Working on a TV documentary about extreme weather in the UK in 2012. Trying to hoover up as much interesting video footage as I can find. Anyone got any good stuff? Obviously we will pay for whatever we use. Drop me an email, nick.gilbert@dsp.tv  - if you see this before July 13.

Posted

Grabbed some radar images from Paul Knightley (Meteogroup) from this day which shows a Pair of Supercells that started out life in the Welsh Valleys and Matured across Leicestershire and Lincolnshire on June 28th 2012, 3 and a Half inch Hailstones were recorded with this storm and a very photogenic Tornado in Lincolnshire, there is numerous video on the net of this event which should not be hard to find.

post-24-0-63622800-1367597525_thumb.png - Classic Supercell Look on Radar

Paul S

Posted

Hmm, Maybe it was then, my memory might be giving up the ghost Posted Image I know that the 2 Cells that fired NE Of Cardiff moved NE because Arron (Who is from Wales) was on the phone to me and I was nowcasting for him, he had to cut the chase off because his partners dad was taken unwell and he had to get back to Aber and was gutted that evening when the pictures and videos came out, I do recall an MCS Earlier in the day but seemed to remember this moving North of Birmingham and affected the NE Later in the day. Looking at the map it is possible that if cells fired near Newport and took on a NE Track that they would have just missed Birmingham, and gone through the gap between Leicester and Nottingham but just cant remember wether cells fired further east in the warm sector.

Mr Knightley will know because he did a talk on this last weekend at the Torro Conference Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

There was an early morning MCS that came up from Newport then over mid wales, and looked to be heading my way, but went east and passed between Shrewsbury and Birmingham (forget where exactly) - If you go back to the thread from that day, there are plenty of posts about it...

It was the day the weather got so bad the Olympic torch relay halted for a time due to the lightening later in the day I believe from a different MCS.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

I did a satellite image time lapse for the 28th if that helps.Best viewed in hd.

Edited by Del Trott

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I have hours of weather footage and have sent you an email to the address given.

Hopefully by July I will have some more (fingers crossed) extreme storm footage :)

Great response so far, so thanks everyone, I'm doing my best to pretend I know about super cells and the rest of it (only 4 days of weather research so far so bear with me).Karl- just emailed you.

Del and Dave48 really good to see those graphics..

About those satellite images - anyone know who provides those images? I previously worked on a BBC documentary about hurricane sandy, using Nasa and NOAA footage, but who do you guys think I should approach for more satellite stuff over the UK? I'm guessing website like Meteox don't own the footage?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

i remember this taking a NE track, i was in the tamworth area and asking paul for direction on facebook! i was about to drive and sit and wait but work took be back north to Chester Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I was out chasing on 28th June east of Nottingham.

I saw large hail, lots of flooding, biblical rainfall, amazing storm structure, lightning and some wind/possible tornado damage to trees.

Unfortunately I was stuck in traffic in Grantham because of the torch relay, I lost half an hour and by the time I caught up to the storm it seems I had missed the tornado. 

It was hard to find safe places to stop, so missed a lot of good photo and video opportunities, but I do have a video on youtube which includes some large hail and driving through floods and torrential rain.

I'm at work and cannot access Youtube, but it should be easy to find using the link in my signature.

Let me know if you are interested in any of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Hi NickDSPTV , On youtube search SLEAFORD STORM and TORNADO by gudgeonslayer, maybe if you ask the uploader they could send the original video to you..