Welcome To The Netweather Forum!

Sign In or Register for full access to the community - including the regional forums.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

England's Summer of Cricket (+ other Worldwide Cricket)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1751 replies to this topic

#1621 PolarWarsaw

PolarWarsaw
  • Members
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:49

My word England have been so defensive in this innings and most of the time always are. 

163-2 with 3 overs until the new ball, which will most likely bring quicker runs or more wickets. If England end up 250-5 at stumps it won't be a particularly good day at all, luckily enough for England it's going to rain for most of tommorrow. I'd be surprised if they get more than 10 overs in all honesty, tommorrow afternoon/evening perhaps. 

#1622 PolarWarsaw

PolarWarsaw
  • Members
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 15:02

Shock, new ball - first ball LBW and now we are struggling. 

#1623 Boro Snow

Boro Snow
  • Members
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 15:11

i agree most of this series we have played boring defensive cricket but we are 3 nil up and have retained the ashes so cant grumble good.gif

In 86 we nearlly died from ayesome park to the riverside europe twice we won the cup with Aitor Karanka were going up, were going up were going up with Aitor Karanka were going up

#1624 Mrs Trellis

Mrs Trellis

Backwards and Downwards!

• Forum Team
  • 38,654 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 15:24

i agree most of this series we have played boring defensive cricket but we are 3 nil up and have retained the ashes so cant grumble good.gif

I know; I grew up on Test cricket...But 2 an over? The grass is growing faster...But - at least we're winning...good.gif

Pete

Non cogito ergo non sum; et, merda taurorum animus conturbit!

We go about our daily lives understanding almost nothing of the world. (Professor Stephen Hawking)

Views and opinions expressed in this or any other of my posts are my own.

#1625 Weather-history

Weather-history
  • Members
  • 13,443 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 16:34

Has the Aussie bowling been so good that batters have found it tough scoring?

Trott, 134 balls for his 40?

It's a problem for England, one of the top three needs to be a stroke maker IMO. We had Trescothick in the early 2000s, Slater for the Aussies, Sehwag for India.

No good the top three, grinding out five hours for just one hundred odd runs.
Manchester Summer Index 2014: 237 (up to 19th August)

#1626 Bishop Brennan

Bishop Brennan
  • Members
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 16:41

It's a problem for England, one of the top three needs to be a stroke maker IMO. We had Trescothick in the early 2000s, Slater for the Aussies, Sehwag for India.

No good the top three, grinding out five hours for just one hundred odd runs.

Regarding the top three, personally I'd shake things up for the winter tour.

I'd move Root back to six - he's become almost strokeless in many of his innings since moving up to open - and I'd bring in someone a bit more attack-minded such as Carberry or even Lumb. As things stand at the moment, we're in full-on grind mode at the start of every innings, just constantly allowing the opposition to bowl us into submission.

Bish

Location - Knowle, near Solihull. 400ft (122m) ASL.

#1627 Boro Snow

Boro Snow
  • Members
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 16:56

this is painful viewing we have won the series let us entertain the crowd,,, pieterson has gone 217-4 we should have a lot more runs on the board than this

In 86 we nearlly died from ayesome park to the riverside europe twice we won the cup with Aitor Karanka were going up, were going up were going up with Aitor Karanka were going up

#1628 The PIT

The PIT
  • Members
  • 20,238 posts
  • Location:Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Posted 23 August 2013 - 16:59

this is painful viewing we have won the series let us entertain the crowd,,, pieterson has gone 217-4 we should have a lot more runs on the board than this

Remember folks if it wasn't for Watson yesterday the Aussies first score would have pedrestrain as well. Take off the 58 give mes and the score wouldn't have been much different.

Based in Sunny Old Sheffield South Yorkshire.

Website at http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk
Mobile link at http://http://www.sh...uk/iphone/#home
Mobile phone Lightning detection http://www.sheffield...her.co.uk/spark

Follow Sheffield Weather at https://twitter.com/shefweather

2963758576.png

#1629 PolarWarsaw

PolarWarsaw
  • Members
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 17:27

I like the approach Woakes has taken towards his innings, started off with a couple of beautiful boundaries. I think he's in the side mostly for his batting, which will have to be good to keep Bairstow out (who can keep) and Bresnan who is slightly better in the bowling department but not much cop consistently in the batting. 

#1630 Bishop Brennan

Bishop Brennan
  • Members
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 17:59

Crikey that was hard work. 215/4 in the day (rpo 2.18) means it was technically England's day, but it didn't really 'feel' like it to be honest.

Bish

#1631 davehsug

davehsug

Cumulonimbus

• Members
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 21:25

England's approach to batting throughout the series has been really poor. Have we ever set out to dominate the bowling? The Aussies have decent bowlers but we have made them look really good.

The approach of Cook & Flower has been to sit tight, make as few errors as possible & let the Aussies beat themselves. This has succeeded on 3 occasions, but it might not have.

Maybe we've been lucky under Vaughan & Strauss to have 2 mostly positive & attacking captains but it has to be said, 3-0 or not, England's approach & attitude to this series has been pretty awful!

#1632 Isolated Frost

Isolated Frost

hola

• Members
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 21:31

England to bat until stumps day 5.

November @ Durham University (to the 8th)
9.3° (-0.1°) | 1.7° (-1.7°)|5.5° (-0.9°) | 11.6° (1st) | -1° (1st/4th)

#1633 knocker

knocker
  • Members
  • 13,779 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 23:26

England to bat until stumps day 5.

I hope not or we all be in a care home.

"We have before us a most grievious ordeal. Failure is not an option. We must learn how to run this Spaceship Earth for the good of all its inhabitants or we shall surely perish. And the first commandment shall be, 'Thou shalt not destroy thy life support system.'" -Robert Fontaine
281c81c43c615177db549fa1fb75da6a.jpeg

#1634 Isolated Frost

Isolated Frost

hola

• Members
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 00:59

I hope not or we all be in a care home.

Hah!

Well, I think day 4 (tomorrow) will be called off or at least a major part of it called off due to rain. And come day 5, it'll be a day of batting at 2.2 an over and enjoying Geoffrey Boycott's praise.

November @ Durham University (to the 8th)
9.3° (-0.1°) | 1.7° (-1.7°)|5.5° (-0.9°) | 11.6° (1st) | -1° (1st/4th)

#1635 AderynCoch

AderynCoch
  • Members
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:05

England's approach to batting throughout the series has been really poor. Have we ever set out to dominate the bowling? The Aussies have decent bowlers but we have made them look really good.

The approach of Cook & Flower has been to sit tight, make as few errors as possible & let the Aussies beat themselves. This has succeeded on 3 occasions, but it might not have.

Maybe we've been lucky under Vaughan & Strauss to have 2 mostly positive & attacking captains but it has to be said, 3-0 or not, England's approach & attitude to this series has been pretty awful!

I agree, it's so underwhelming.

The series is already in the bag so they should be enjoying themselves. They're making a flat track look like a minefield.

"It is time for stormy weather."

- Black Francis

#1636 Weather-history

Weather-history
  • Members
  • 13,443 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:36

It is 75 years ago since that famous Test at the Oval when Len Hutton made 364 and England won by a huge margin of an innings and 579 runs.

The Oval has not been the greatest ground for Aussie victories. Since WWII, they won Oval Tests in 1948, 1972 and 2001. The 1972 one was dubious because it was a 6 day Test and it went well into the 6th day. It should have been a 5 day Test like the others in that series. Illingworth was not impress.

England won Oval Ashes Tests in 1953, 1968, 1985, 1993, 1997, 2009.
Manchester Summer Index 2014: 237 (up to 19th August)

#1637 knocker

knocker
  • Members
  • 13,779 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:27

A good article by Mike Brearley in the Times today. For obvious reasons I can't link it but this abstract will give you the drift. ©The Times.

Where have the fast bowlers gone?

I met Michael Holding at the Kia Oval, on the first afternoon of the Test. I wanted to talk to him about fast bowling, its decline in Test cricket and about his own feat on a low, flat pitch on the same ground 27 years ago, when he took 14 wickets against England, 12 of them bowled or leg-before.

Having recently watched Fire in Babylon, the film that told the story of the emergence of West Indies into a cricketing superpower, I was struck by how tame fast bowling is nowadays. Contrast batting against Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson, as West Indies themselves did, succumbing to a 5-1 defeat in 1975-76, and against Andy Roberts, Holding himself, Wayne Daniel, followed by Colin Croft, Joel Garner, Malcolm Marshall, and ending with Courtney Walsh and Curtly Ambrose. And don’t forget Bob Willis, Ian Botham, Imran Khan, Mike Procter, Richard Hadlee, Wasim Akram and many others from that era.

Edited by knocker, 24 August 2013 - 11:28 .

"We have before us a most grievious ordeal. Failure is not an option. We must learn how to run this Spaceship Earth for the good of all its inhabitants or we shall surely perish. And the first commandment shall be, 'Thou shalt not destroy thy life support system.'" -Robert Fontaine

#1638 knocker

knocker
  • Members
  • 13,779 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:51

Simple question. With all the  technology available is there too much analysing of players in the modern game? I remember they tried to tinker with Jimmy Anderson's action with near disastrous results.

#1639 Bishop Brennan

Bishop Brennan
  • Members
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 13:58

Simple question. With all the technology available is there too much analysing of players in the modern game? I remember they tried to tinker with Jimmy Anderson's action with near disastrous results.

I wouldn't necessarily say so. It's true that James Anderson went backwards for a while when he tried out a new action, but the same bowling coach who instigated that change - Troy Cooley - worked absolute wonders on Andrew Flintoff and especially Simon Jones using the same analytical technology.

Bish

#1640 NUT

NUT
  • Members
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 15:11

Play abandoned for rest of the day. VERY likely a drawn test now

Edited by NUT, 24 August 2013 - 17:47 .

John, Cumbernauld, Glasgow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users