Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Background signals and teleconnections were the opposite in many regards to this year in 2010.

June 2010 has a -ve AO and NAO, low heights over Scandinavia, was coming off the back of a moderate El Nino, had much lower solar activity and a strongly (possibly record low for June) -ve QBO.

That's not to say things may not take a turn for the worse,  but in general, there isn't much similarity between this year and 2010.

June 1-20th 2012 .......................... ...................... June1-20th 2010

Posted ImageJune1-20-2012.gifPosted ImageJune1-20-2010.gif

Oh yes, i'm not suggesting a 2010 repeat exactly and infact my 'official' summer forecast goes for a warm August however with that being said the Azores High has negatively tilted far too often for comfort and seems to enjoy being west of the UK so when i think of a future outcome i'm pretty wary.

I accept everyone has different preferences but what value is laserguy adding by constantly saying hes curled up in a ball away from summer? None.

Probably the same value as those telling us there going to have a BBQ. I see little problem with expression of opinion in this case.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

'Normal' service appears to have been resumed,then. OK guys,move along now,nothing to see here. Now the days are getting shorter can we ressurect the Autumn thread and forget all this warmth and sunshine nonsense?

The days getting shorter theme doesn't really get noticed until mid August. Plus it might have escaped your notice that the highest UK temperature ever was recorded on the 10th August, and most of our 35c+ temps have come in mid to late July and August too. 

I have never treated June as the peak for summer just because the longest day is featured within the month. 

Its the same with December the 21st being the shortest day, but we tend to see our most harsh winter weather in January, February and most considerably March this year. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I accept everyone has different preferences but what value is laserguy adding by constantly saying hes curled up in a ball away from summer? None.

Does it really matter? The weather will do what it wants to do anyway...There's nowt any of us can do about it?Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Does it really matter? The weather will do what it wants to do anyway...There's nowt any of us can do about it?Posted Image

amen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Gawd almighty people complaining. June hasn't been that bad..July and  August are typically our summer months.. And  from my viewing of weather  in my life time. (no expert on the weather)  September is more realiable  than June. well the first 3 weeks..

Really warm evenings never appear in June. They are usually in mid July  early August.. Next week is looking alright to. Previous Summers have been  horrible. But this year  hasn't been that bad so far..

bib... but 'summer' isnt measured by temperature alone! if it was some recent march's and aprils were summer!

Not everyone wants to swelter, in 90o heat, .

.... and when was the last time we got that? i dont think its unfair nor wrong for those who like heat to wish for it...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

bib... but 'summer' isnt measured by temperature alone! if it was some recent march's and aprils were summer!

.... and when was the last time we got that? i dont think its unfair nor wrong for those who like heat to wish for it...

Careful what you wish for mushy? All we need is one of our recent 'grazers' to sit off NW Ireland whilst the Continent feeds it's warmth into us? Close Europe did alright out of the last 'High' and all we need is to tap into some of that surely?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

The days getting shorter theme doesn't really get noticed until mid August. Plus it might have escaped your notice that the highest UK temperature ever was recorded on the 10th August, and most of our 35c+ temps have come in mid to late July and August too. 

I have never treated June as the peak for summer just because the longest day is featured within the month. 

Its the same with December the 21st being the shortest day, but we tend to see our most harsh winter weather in January, February and most considerably March this year. 

it may have passed the longest day but the latest evening has yet to pass I think it is tomorrow or Tuesday!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

it may have passed the longest day but the latest evening has yet to pass I think it is tomorrow or Tuesday!!!

Yep its the morning which get shorter first only by a minute or so the nights don't draw in for a bit yet

Tuesday to Thursday remains at 21:46 in Darlo

Wednesday and Thursday stay the same 04:32 / 21:46

Posted

It's only when we lose the 'Nautical Twilight' that we can properly notice the nights clawing away our daylight and the 'environmental lag' means our highest temps are still to come?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

I know you dont like Summer but these constant I dont like the light or warmth trash is not for this thread. Weve got your message now.

How come you're not outside 'enjoying' this nonsense? I've just wasted 2 hours of my life cutting soddin' grass - an all too frequent task of despicability at this time of year.  An' if I want to moan I will do; I'm fed up of everyone else whining at normal summer weather just 'cos it's not 34C or somesuch hideousness! Now to draw the blinds,feet up and watch telly or summat... and nitpicking aside,the days are most assuredly shortening! I'll deal with the heat if and when I have to....

What about Indian Summers, LG!?

Stoppit!

Posted

Why not replace your lawn with something less work involved?

Many things that you can change to during the 'pleasant' days of the winter half of the year and require little or no work during the 'unpleasant' summer to you?

• Like 1

Posted

Agreed JH ( if a little off topic). Lawns are a nasty monoculture! go for the 'cottage Garden look' and pm Jethro for the way forward!

Posted

I'm all in favour of the country garden look,

2 views of my fairly small back garden about 30ftx30ft

post-847-0-03049200-1372013243_thumb.jpg

post-847-0-20755300-1372013439_thumb.jpg

apologies 2 are the same and I failed to delete one

post-847-0-09480900-1372013486_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

How come you're not outside 'enjoying' this nonsense? I've just wasted 2 hours of my life cutting soddin' grass - an all too frequent task of despicability at this time of year.  An' if I want to moan I will do; I'm fed up of everyone else whining at normal summer weather just 'cos it's not 34C or somesuch hideousness! Now to draw the blinds,feet up and watch telly or summat... and nitpicking aside,the days are most assuredly shortening! I'll deal with the heat if and when I have to....

Stoppit!

Why am I not outside? Because its been cloudy with showers today. This week will be pleasant. Not warm but perfect for EVERYONE to get out and enjoy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Sorry John but then please do allow me my defense when folk are mean and plain wrong in their assault on me/

I did 'predict' an alteration to our Jet pattern and 'it has' come to pass. either I'm a very lucky 'guesser' or the impact of last years record ice losses is having a knock on impact on N.Hemisphere weather this summer?

The problem for us all that this 'impact' would need be 'instant' ( not lagged) and the move toward seasonal , and then seasonal for ever longer periods, is already occuring. If this bring with it wild and whacky weather for the N.Hemisphere ( and it's 'knock on in the S.Hemisphere) then hadn't folk at least get to speed on the subject so as to be able to then 'see' it's impacts manifest?

Again, July set a lot more 'fair' than the previous 6 and this 'more settled' summer continueing into sept ( and even Oct?). Central europe still plagued by it's errant weather and many other 'climate extremes' to be seen around the N.Hemisphere.

The switch away from HLB was flagged by GP before his departure, and picked up by other experts on the stratosphere thread as well, including snowking, one of the chief MOD experts.

The change in the blocking patterns is to do with the end of the negative zonal anomalies that downwelled during the late winter and throughout the Spring, and a colder period in the stratosphere which occured prior to the annual final warming event. The polar stratosphere is now under usual summer conditions with the last of the polar vortex broken up, but we have a west based QBO taking over which is not conduisive for BDC circulation and transport of ozone from the tropical stratopshere to the polar stratosphere. Therefore we see a difference this year in the summer pattern with pressure lower over the pole.

This is a regular occurence in our summers and it is quite usual for a non blocked season(s) to be prevalent amidst a succession of blocked seasons/years

So bascially nothing new or apocalyptic there thenPosted Image

• Like 3

Posted

I've just wasted 2 hours of my life cutting soddin' grass - an all too frequent task of despicability at this time of year. 

eh?... how did it take you that long? cut it weekly, get it down and keep it down, its alot easier.

Posted

eh?... how did it take you that long? cut it weekly, get it down and keep it down, its alot easier.

huh? cut grass?

nature baby.

(now I know I left a BBQ out there somewhere)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Indeed, laserguy either has a very large garden or is very  careful about it all! If its your averaged sized garden then 2 hours is ridiculous!

Posted

Indeed, laserguy either has a very large garden or is very  careful about it all! If its your averaged sized garden then 2 hours is ridiculous!

put it this way, of all the lawns i mow on a fortnightly basis, the longest time the largest takes me is 35 mins!. bigger then that requires a ride on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Why am I not outside? Because its been cloudy with showers today. This week will be pleasant. Not warm but perfect for EVERYONE to get out and enjoy.

Not getting at one person here- this is just one example- but one of the few things that I consistently dislike about weather-related discussions is the tendency for members to assume that everyone has the same set of tastes, and then claim to speak for everyone, with the implication that either you follow the consensus or you're a weirdo.

When we compare dry sunny conditions to dull wet ones I usually find myself more or less in line with the consensus view, but the most usual area where I find myself at odds with it is the idea that dry cloudy weather is good (settled, usable) and sunshine and showers is bad (unsettled).  A trawl through the convective/storm discussion threads suggest that my position is not all that unusual.

There's bound to be regional variation this week, and the south-west looks particularly favoured for some sun and warmth, but the weather here is currently cool, dry and cloudy and that looks like being the main story here for most of the week, with some hope, but no certainty, of something warmer and sunnier on Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Friday.  It's going to be usable enough for getting outdoors but not as enjoyable as, say, last Tuesday/Wednesday were.

• Like 3

Posted

YAY! RAIN!Posted Image

Posted

Yes that storm on the 19th was probably the most memorable of my lifetime, I recall it being hot and sunny up to around 3 pm in my area and then it went so dark some of the street lights came on, before one of the biggest storms I've witnessed in this country.

Forecast from 19th June 2005http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNHfqtpUwjI
  • Like 2

Posted

What a cracking 2nd half to June it was that year, I remember getting a cracking tan while revising for and after my A-levels!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Not getting at one person here- this is just one example- but one of the few things that I consistently dislike about weather-related discussions is the tendency for members to assume that everyone has the same set of tastes, and then claim to speak for everyone, with the implication that either you follow the consensus or you're a weirdo.

When we compare dry sunny conditions to dull wet ones I usually find myself more or less in line with the consensus view, but the most usual area where I find myself at odds with it is the idea that dry cloudy weather is good (settled, usable) and sunshine and showers is bad (unsettled).  A trawl through the convective/storm discussion threads suggest that my position is not all that unusual.

There's bound to be regional variation this week, and the south-west looks particularly favoured for some sun and warmth, but the weather here is currently cool, dry and cloudy and that looks like being the main story here for most of the week, with some hope, but no certainty, of something warmer and sunnier on Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Friday.  It's going to be usable enough for getting outdoors but not as enjoyable as, say, last Tuesday/Wednesday were.

you may be right,it is a hard one to call but sunshine makes us happy and dullness does not[not for the vast majority anyway] sunshine and showers???..I for one want winters to be winters  and summers to be one of the two glorious summers we get in a decade........we are well overdue!!!!