Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Forgettable years, weatherwise.

Posted

But to get a year with so many above average months (except August, the joker in the pack) is really quite remarkable. They also weren't slightly above average, each month was over a degree warmer than average and has resulted in the warmest year on record.

January and February can be forgotten though.

10 years ago, only July was below average for 2004 and not by that much. There were persistent warmth rather than outstanding spikes for 2014 apart from Halloween.

Heatwaves in warm months are remembered much more than persistent warmth

Besides the point of the thread was not looking at the data, it was actual weather events that affected you and if they stick in the memory.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

This year has been pants overall. Not too much sticks in the memory. Did have a memorable storm on Feb 12th,Halloween was the warmest ive ever recorded but overall pretty forgetfull.

I hate these types of years where its just one above average month after another, i often think years with persistent warmth often end up being amoung the most boring.

Ironically though despite how warm this year has been the temp i recorded last night (-3.5c) was colder then any temp i recorded in 2013. Coldest since feb 2012.

Heres to 2015 and hopefully a more interesting year weatherwise then what 2014 was.

• Like 1

Posted

But to get a year with so many above average months (except August, the joker in the pack) is really quite remarkable. They also weren't slightly above average, each month was over a degree warmer than average and has resulted in the warmest year on record.

January and February can be forgotten though.

Which is all the more damning because for all those above average temperatures the weather for the most part was boring. Really only the second half of July showed anything like the sort of temperatures made worthwhile by such an anomaly. And to get such an extended cool, northerly spell in August is the absolute pits (no chance of that now of course).

The year as a whole simply hasn't been good enough for warm weather given that it's going to be the warmest ever (see 1995 and 2006 as a comparison). At least it's ending on something of a high note.

Posted

Not quite as bad as 2011 or 1993 for me, but still a rubbish year.

June and July saved it: I reckon they were the best pair of summer months here since July and August 1995.

August again was dreadful (sub 15C maxima in midmonth) and September to November had to be the most boring three month period I can ever recall. Absolutely nothing happened except cloudy mild weather, bar a couple of isolated frosts in Nov.

Posted

Speaking from a Devon perspective (not uni), probably too much thunder this year to be among my most forgettable years.. and the storms and exceptional wetness of January and February were certainly not forgettable.

Active lightning display in the early hours of the 7th June (missed this but compensated by seeing active storms in the Home Counties on the 13th/14th June)

warm-hot spell in July with thunderstorms around, a good June and July overall.

Strong thunderstorm a few miles away in October with flash flooding in Exeter (missed it while at uni though). Local downpour with flooding here in November (though again missed it).

Not the most memorable year either though and nothing particularly extreme on the temperature front, waited till December for decent winter night time minima.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

2014 did actually try to bring an easterly in at the end of January on the 29th.

Can`t say what it looks like chartwise as they havn`t been done yet.

2.2c max on the 30th,theres these odd days you forget about that's the beauty of keeping a record.

Posted

Maybe its harsh, as it certainly wasnt a terrible year, but I always think 2005 should have been more exciting than it was. It had some brilliant synoptics that for some reason repeatedly failed to deliver:

Late Feb/early Mar. Should have been like Feb 1991. Easterly, cold uppers, lots of snow showers around. Yet almost nothing stuck for more than a few hours, if it stuck at all. That one will always be a mystery to me.

That ridiculous day in May when London was 20 C warmer than Edinburgh. The first of the modern Spanish plumes that only affect the SE.

August should have been a lot better, it wasnt bad, but for such a dry anticyclonic month it was not as warm as it should have been.

December's non snowy easterly. Certainly had the right setup for a nationwide snow event, where was the snow?

Edited by Summer of 95
  • Like 1

Posted

The trouble with the amazing synoptics of late feb 2005 was we didn`t have decent easterly for a good many years and after the extremely warm 2006 the seas were so warm,and it was late in February with uppers of -10,the flow was more NE-ly as the north sea wasn`t that cold.

A few years ago that would`ve been much colder.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

The trouble with the amazing synoptics of late feb 2005 was we didn`t have decent easterly for a good many years and after the extremely warm 2006 the seas were so warm,and it was late in February with uppers of -10,the flow was more NE-ly as the north sea wasn`t that cold.A few years ago that would`ve been much colder.

We hadnt had a decent easterly for 4 years before Feb 1991, and the previous summer broke records. So the sea must have been warm then. At the time I blamed the Feb 2005 failures on the lack of frost that Jan, but then I think of events like early March 1995 which followed 2 months of constant mild wet muck, or 4th April 2012 when snow settled a week after it had been 20C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Ground temperatures and lack of frost tend mainly to be an issue in very "marginal" situations, or when we only have light snowfall.  If it's cold and the snow is quite heavy, the snow will lie regardless.

With the easterlies in late February 2005: the North Sea was warmer than usual and continental Europe was not particularly cold, and it was relatively late in the season, and this meant that the snowfalls were very marginal.  The snowfalls were also mainly of the "North Sea convection" variety which meant that the snow was intermittent, thus promoting thaws in the sun in between the showers, given that it was marginal for lying snow to begin with.  Above about 100m in north-east England, however, substantial aggregate snow depths resulted nonetheless, which certainly points to a "marginal air temperatures" issue more than a "warm ground temperatures" one.

I thought 2005 was quite a decent year for notable weather events in Tyneside, including thunderstorms on 19 June and 31 August, November being significantly sunnier than October was, and the snowy easterly of 27-29 December (it did deliver in quite a big way near the east coast), but I can certainly see how it would have disappointed around Shrewsbury.  The main reason why the December 2005 snowfalls were largely confined to North Sea areas was that we were at the "end of the line" for the easterly, and I remember Steve Murr commenting that in SE England it was more like "a northerly with an 'easterly' source".

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
11 hours ago, Weather-history said:

2015 was a pretty uneventful year apart from December, which was outrageous. There were a couple of other short term events such as the storms and heat around late June and early July but other than that not a lot.

July was certainly a forgotten, but not forgettable month IMO. Some of the CET stats for that month are astounding, both for warmth and for cold. See BFTV's post at the top of page 11:

On the 1st of July I was at home in Chelmsford, temperatures soared well into the 30's. For the last week of that month I was in Northumberland, with highs struggling around the 12-13C mark. Certainly something to remember.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
11 hours ago, Weather-history said:

2015 was a pretty uneventful year apart from December, which was outrageous. There were a couple of other short term events such as the storms and heat around late June and early July but other than that not a lot.

Wimbledon's hottest ever day, July 1st, 

• 10 months later...
Posted

Late april and September`s best thunderstorm ever were the highlights of the year 2016 otherwise I forgot the rest.

Edited by Snowyowl9

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Posted
On 15 July 2017 at 08:39, Weather-history said:

2017?

Not a lot again, I suppose the warm to hot sunny days are sticking in the memory but the first half of the year has been tedious.

Nothing much so far the second half of 2017. The remains of hurricane Ophelia and the red sun being the standout. 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Nothing much so far the second half of 2017. The remains of hurricane Ophelia and the red sun being the standout. 

Very boring year it’s the theme of recent years. Poor year for storms, barely any snow a summer of two halves it doesn’t stand out for warmth for me, it’s been very dry. The highlight was the red sun !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In Exeter the standout events of 2017 have been the Ophelia/red sun, the hot sunny week leading up to 21 June, and the spectacular overnight thunderstorm on 19 July.  I was also up in North Yorkshire in the hot spell at the end of May when it got to about 27C there.  There was also a brief wintry incursion around 13 January which I remember for having lying hail in Exeter.  So overall a bit more interesting/eventful than last year in my view, but still rather less interesting than the majority of other years since I started keenly observing the weather (1993).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

I have been looking at the incidence of snowy weather in each decade from the 1940s to the present just to see how badly or otherwise we are really doing compared to years ago.  This is a table showing the number and severity of snowy years in each decade from 1940 onwards (data courtesy of http://www.neforum2.co.uk/ferryhillweather )....

Number of years the UK had snow:

Little Snow

Average Snow

Snowy Year

Very Snowy Year

Points Total

1930S

1940S

1     (1946/47)

1950s

1960s

1     (1962/62)

1970s

1     (1978/79)

1980s

1990s

2000s

2010s

1      (2009/10)

(Points scored per year:   Little Snow = 1pt,  Average Snow = 2pt,  Snowy Year = 3pt,  Very Snowy Year = 4pt)

On this basis it is clear that we have been getting progressively fewer snowy years in each decade and that the 2000s were easily the least snowy decade since 1930.  However, the 2010s have already surpassed the 2000s for snow excluding this winter (which looks promising!).   As we still have two more winters to go there is every chance that the 2010s will compare favourably with the best that the 1960s and 70s had to offer especially if this winter turns out to be ‘very snowy’!   Anyway, its interesting to see how the climate appears to be affecting our winters in respect of snowfall….

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The stand-out event for me, besides the spectacular red sun in October, was probably the thunderstorm we had back in May when we had hail the size of two-pence coins, which I have never seen in real life. The rain was also incredible, and a few local stores had their roofs cave in.

We had another thunderstorm on the 23rd of August that lasted for several hours and caused flooding across Leeds. I remember looking at the rainfall radar and the thunderstorm just kept on expanding on its back edge. Just a day after my birthday a well - for some reason the 22-24 August period has been particularly thundery in recent years..

Edited by cheese

Posted
On 19-10-2014 at 21:06, snowstorm445 said:

2012 wasn't great, but some serious flooding in Cork in late June. I can recall the end of May being quite warm as well. A much more seasonal Autumn IMO. The highlight of the year was probably the hysteria following "THAT" ECM. :D

And a few 100km east in the Netherlands, February 2012 broke a few cold records, that was maybe the coldest I ever experienced, with temps (as measured by my car? but usually quite accurate ) of minus 24 C. 

Posted
On 27 November 2017 at 11:51, Sky Full said:

I have been looking at the incidence of snowy weather in each decade from the 1940s to the present just to see how badly or otherwise we are really doing compared to years ago.  This is a table showing the number and severity of snowy years in each decade from 1940 onwards (data courtesy of http://www.neforum2.co.uk/ferryhillweather )....

Number of years the UK had snow:

Little Snow

Average Snow

Snowy Year

Very Snowy Year

Points Total

1930S

1940S

1     (1946/47)

1950s

1960s

1     (1962/62)

1970s

1     (1978/79)

1980s

1990s

2000s

2010s

1      (2009/10)

(Points scored per year:   Little Snow = 1pt,  Average Snow = 2pt,  Snowy Year = 3pt,  Very Snowy Year = 4pt)

On this basis it is clear that we have been getting progressively fewer snowy years in each decade and that the 2000s were easily the least snowy decade since 1930.  However, the 2010s have already surpassed the 2000s for snow excluding this winter (which looks promising!).   As we still have two more winters to go there is every chance that the 2010s will compare favourably with the best that the 1960s and 70s had to offer especially if this winter turns out to be ‘very snowy’!   Anyway, its interesting to see how the climate appears to be affecting our winters in respect of snowfall….

I mentioned this before but I have questioned one or two Bonacina's analyses on the 1930s especially 1937-38

• Like 1