Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Forgettable years, weatherwise.

Posted

2011. Absolutely dire with April being the only stand out month.

- Pretty much no wintry weather - just 4 days of lying snow which were actually two 36 hour falls not exceeding 3cm. February only recorded 17 hours below freezing.

- An outstanding lack of temperature variation in May with the lowest monthly max since 1983 despite mean max being 1C above average

- Pretty much the whole of May and June we were tortured with glorious sunny Fridays followed by washout Saturdays. There were in fact a ridiculous number of wet washout Saturdays throughout the year

- A rotten summer that resulted in the fewest number of days over 18C in any year since 1974. The 22nd June was the coldest day between 31st March and 7th October, inclusive - indicitive of how unvaried the temperatures were for a large part of the year. Dyce recorded no 70F temperatures after 3rd June (until late Sept)- an unprecedented run for summer.

- A disgusting autumn with ridiculously mild nights and low diurnal ranges. 23 days of rain in October despite the monthly total being well below normal and a completely frost free November. There was a complete lack of colour in the trees.

- Mildest Christmas on record with no frost during the last third of December.

- There was no thunder heard at all during the year.

1932, 1944 and 1968 stand out in the 20th century. Looking at the data they seemed very dull and boring years with poor summers and lots of anticyclonic gloom. 1968 did better for wintry weather than the other two years but September to December 1968, in my part of the country, was pretty much 4 months of solid anticyclonic gloom and a definite candidate for the most boring period of weather in recorded history.

Edited by Richard2901
  • Like 1

Posted

I think 2005 was pretty interesting with that exceptionally warm second half of June and that warm October with a notable warm spell late in the month. There was also that big turnaround in November which cold fans would have enjoyed with a very cold second half of the month following on from a mild first half. It was a year of some remarkable turnarounds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

2002,2007,2008 (apart from the april snow event), 2011, 2012 were very tedious and forgettable also.

Edited by BrightInBrighton

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

the thing is people rattle of forgettable years but then they can be that forgettable as you easily remember them..i mean 2007 as come up a lot but its is well remembered for the terrible wet summer. i would suggest a forgettable year is one when nothing in particular happened and you struggle to even remember that year for weather...that's why 2002 is a great example.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Re. 2007, I actually think that is an unforgettable year if only for June and July, both of which were notable to say the least given the record amounts of rain that fell across many parts over the duration of the two months. As well as that, there was the nationwide windstorm on January 18th that brought widespread gusts of 70-80mph across England and Wales. The period February 7-9th brought extensive and prolonged heavy snowfall over the West Midlands from a 'battleground' setup, with this particular region of Birmingham seeing around 6-8" falls. May 31st was a also a good day for thunderstorms across the Midlands.

Yes 2007 was an exciting year here. A severe wind storm in Jan, a large, heavy and wet snowfall in Feb which rapidly put down a few inches and caused all sorts of issues on the roads and an extremely convective summer in which I witnessed the heaviest thunderstorm I've ever seen. Never ever seen hail fall like that before, coupled with the blue tinged lightning which was virtually overhead. An excellent year for all my weather preferences!

There was more 'action' in 2007 than 2011 and 2012 combined here. The summer was so convective along with 2009. Hardly anything stormy of note since.

After typing this I'm struggling to comprehend just how bland 2011 and 2012 were!

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

the thing is people rattle of forgettable years but then they can be that forgettable as you easily remember them..i mean 2007 as come up a lot but its is well remembered for the terrible wet summer. i would suggest a forgettable year is one when nothing in particular happened and you struggle to even remember that year for weather...that's why 2002 is a great example.

My thoughts exactly. I can identify quite a few period of months where not much happened but even 2002 supplied some interest in my neck of the woods. There was a major switch-around from warmth and sunshine to a notable gale at the end of April, with waves lashing as far up the Severn Estuary as Clevedon. I watched possibly the longest rainless thunderstorm early on May 17th. I also witnessed a very good thunderstorm sometime near the start or middle of August when I went sailing for the first time on Cheddar reservoir. There was also a notable spell of gales towards the end of October. If I remember correctly, I also think there was a brief spell of snow around the 10th of December.

Though I don't remember much in January and February besides a very cold start and a thunderstorm on January 28th. Equally, March and most of April were quite boring. Most of the summer and September must have been uneventful as I can't visualise a lot in that time (I associate many days and events by what the weather was doing lol). I do however remember November as I think there was a lot of sunshine and heavy squally shower days.

Posted

Past years that I have experienced that stuck in my memory, weatherwise

1985: cold wintry spells of January to March. Seeing snow fall at the end of April. A thunderstorm at night during May. The late May early June warmth. The poor August. The early October warmth, the cold Nocember and the snow at the end. The mild December and the cold last week. Memorable.

1986: the early and late January snowfalls, that cold February, the March storm, the cold April, the heat of second half of June, the bank holiday washout, the cold September. Memorable

1987: the bitter easterly of January, the March cold and snowfalls, the beautiful warm Good Friday of April, early May snow, the awful June, thunderstorms of late August, didn't experience the October storm but news coverage has stuck in the memory. Memorable.

1988: late January snowfall, February gale, diabolical July, late November snow, warm December. Pretty forgettable.

1989: really memorable, latter stages not.

1990: very memorable. Goes without saying.

1991: February snowfalls, chilly June. Back end of August, good. Pretty forgettable

1992: brilliant May and June with heat and storms, the cold October and the cold end to December. Fairly memorable.

1993: the stormy January, the late February snowfalls, the early June storms, the cold autumn and the wintry December at times. Pretty memorable.

1994: February snowfalls, the Easter snowfalls, the heat and thundery nature of the summer, that warm Novermber. Cold pre anticyclonic spell.

1995: fantastic year, unforgettable.

1996: wintry late January spell, the snowfalls of February, that cold May, decent summer, the cold November and December. Pretty memorable

1997: the early May wintry switharound and the May as whole, late June washout, the Christmas Eve storm. Pretty forgettable

1998: mid February warmth, mid April wintry, some heat in May. Pretty forgettable

1999: early February wintry spell, mid April wintry spell, the heat of May with thunder, the July, the poor August, the September heatwave. Fairly memorable

2000: early April wintry interlude, the autumn washout and late December snow. Up to autumn, it was forgettable.

2001: January to April wintry interludes, the warm October and late December wintry spells. Not particularly memorable

2002: forgettable

2003: the heat waves from April to September, the cold second half of October. Memorable heatwaves but little else

2004: early June heat, the thundery washout August, the white Christmas. Not particularly memorable.

2005: wintry mid February to mid March spell, the autumn with the turnaround during November. Not especially memorable

2006: March snow, the wet May, the hot July and September. Fairly memorable.

2007: the January gale, the warm April, the washout May to July. The last 4 months were forgettablr

2008: the sunny and temperature range of February, the wintry spells of late March-early April, the awful August, the wintry spells of late November-December. Fairly memorable

2009: the cold start to the year, the cold and snow of first half of February, the washout November, the wintry second half to December. Memorable events were either end but not a lot in between.

2010: very cold wintry start, March to mid November was forgettable. December was anything but unforgettable,

2011: pretty forgettable apart from Easter and late September-early October heatwave.

2012: the washout April and June but not much else.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

My own version is pretty similar though there are some differences, mainly due to regional variation:

1993- stormy January and wintry end to February but not a lot else in the first half, but October, November & December were all memorable

1994- mainly memorable for thundery southerly incursions in the summer (especially 3/4 August), also a snowy February

1995- had memorable events in every month apart from February, with the spring & summer months, October and December particularly memorable

1996- dullness of Jan & March, snowy February, cold May, dry and sunny yet quite varied summer, wintry spells Nov/Dec, overall quite memorable

1997- some statistically notable months but not much memorable day-to-day weather, the varied May, a fine spell late-September and a varied October stick out

1998- the exceptionally warm February, wet April with wintry spell midmonth, otherwise not much sticks out

1999- mainly memorable for convective events between May and September, also the wintry spells in 2nd week Feb and mid-April

2000- not a lot sticks out for me other than the wet October/November and post-Christmas cold spell, also a decent 2nd half of August

2001- mainly memorable for wintry spells in February, March, 8/9 November and late December, also a very fine May in Tyneside

2002- fine spells late-March and much of April, a wintry spell late-October with a gale, otherwise nothing much

2003- memorable for frequent noteworthy hot sunny spells, a few big thunderstorms (17 & 22 June, 10 August), quite enjoyed the September & October

2004- notable, if short-lived, snowfalls in late Jan and late Feb, wet thundery August, missed out on a white Christmas, otherwise not a lot

2005- a few sharp temperature switches, some noteworthy fine spells and thunderstorms in the summer, also easterly end of Dec was memorable

2006- memorable mainly for the snowy March and the hot sunny spells on 1-12 June and a large majority of July, with occasional big thunderstorms

2007- a remarkable April and wet early to mid summer with unusually frequent thunder in Tyneside, otherwise not a lot

2008- that sunny anticyclonic spell in February, wintry late March/early April, fine spell in early May, wintry at times Oct-Dec

2009- wintry first half of February, some potent thundery activity in the summer, very wet November, cold snowy late Dec

2010- memorable for cold and snow in Jan, Nov and Dec, and temperature switches in May, also a fine spell late June, not a lot in the other months

2011- memorable fine spells in April and late Sep/early Oct, a thundery spell late June/early July in Tyneside, otherwise not a lot

2012- memorable fine spells late March and late May, some good storms early August, also my first proper October snowfall, otherwise my main memory is the incredible amounts of frontal rain and lack of a decent summer.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

2012 was very poor in terms of warm sunshine, very wet most of the time, I remember 2008 being very boring too, but 2009/10 brought some good snowfall. The night of June 25/26 2009(date Michael Jackson died) brought a very heavy thunderstorm which I will always remember !

• Like 1

Posted

Here is mine Posted Image

1985: cold January and February into March..cool wet summer hot first week of October..cold snowy mid November warm Chrimbo

1986: Very cold February into March March cold wet April, non discript summer, bank holiday washout, warm Chrimbo

1987: Very Cold mid January, cold March, warm Easter, another non discrpt summer the October storm, failed December easterly..wet Chrimbo

1988: Mild winter months..stormy June very wet July, August hot spell first week late November snow, warm Chrimbo

1989: Very Mild and dry winter cold snowy start to April hot summer big storms end of June another mild Chrimbo

1990: Another very mild dry winter..record breaking warmth mid February..big gales January..very sunny and hot May, June was Italia '90..record breaking heat first week of August..very warm mid October..cold mid December big snow storm 8-10th..mild Chrimbo

1991: Very cold first two weeks of February very snowy, cold June. hot August esp last two weeks...Autumn non discript another mild Chrimbo

1992: Very forgettable winter hot sunny May, fairly wet and average summer dont even remember the last 6 months of 92..cold foggy Chrimbo

1993: Much of a muchness winter same of spring summer started ok went downhill at beginning of July the cold November and a flip flop December..white Chrimbo..just.

1994: Some February snowfalls, non descript spring.. the hot July, record breaking warm November. damp mild Chrimbo

1995: Mild wet winter..snowy early to mid March..hottest driest summer of my lifetime..June July and August all hot and sunny..hot spell mid October..Cold December..very cold dry Chrimbo

1996: Average Jan and Feb cold wet May, Thundery June (Euro 96), the cold December. very cold dry Chrimbo

1997: Average winter sunny and dry April, wet June Hot August, mid December easterly and snow..mild wet Chrimbo

1998: February warmth, dry warm March snowy Easter big storms in May. cool dull summer, wet autumn...mild Chrimbo

1999: February cold spell, stormy May, warm July, the poor August,(Eclipse) average Autumn. very windy Chrimbo

2000: Non discript winter, Spring and summer, record breaking wet Autumn..cold last week of December ..white Chrimbo

2001: Rather cold and wet winter average spring cool dry summer, Autumn pretty average and coldish last 2 weeks of December rather cold Chrimbo

2002: Wet and mild winter..that's it

2003: Cold snowy start to Jan warm April , Warm June and July record breaking heat in August, cold October average Chrimbo

2004: Non discript winter and spring..cold mid July, wet and warm August. coldish second half of December green Chrimbo

2005: Cold end of Feb and beginning of March, non discript Spring..very sunny warm June some big storms mild autumn up to the last 2 weeks of November. Average Chrinbo

2006: Rather Cold dry winter, average spring, hot and sunny July cool dull August record breaking warm Autumn wet and mild December, foggy Chrimbo

2007: Very Mild and wet winter, very sunny dry April..wettest summer i can remember..rest of the year non discript..average Chrimbo

2008: Non discript mild winter snowy start to April another wet and cool summer snow at the end of October..average Chrimbo

2009: Cold snowy first two weeks of Feb, average spring, hot spell last week of June first week of July the wintry cold December with snow in the run up to Xmas..cold dry Chrimbo

2010: Now living full time in Canada mild Jan through to end of April..cold May with lots of snow..snow at start of June..cool wet summer until mid August..huge amounts of storms..dry warm spell mid Sep - mid October very cold snowy November..Cold December..white Chrimbo

2011: Very snowy and cold Jan and Feb..record breaking cold March..cold wet spring cool stormy June and July dry sunny and warm autumn very dry and mild Nov and December..white Chrimbo

2012: Very Milld and sunny Jan. Feb Mar..wet and cold April and May..hot, dry and sunny summer..hot sunny Sept..very cold and snowy last 3weeks of October (white Halloween) cold and snowy November..average December..white Chrimbo

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 2

Posted

In recent years, 2002 and 2011 probably the least memorable. Indeed 2002 probably the least memorable of my lifetime, hardly recall anything noteworthy all year. 2011 had its moments in the warm April and warmth of late Sept early October, otherwise it was an exceptionally tedious year with very few extremes.

Going a bit further back, 2000 other than the notable wetness of the autumn and the very wintry last week, was by and large preety devoid of interest. 1992 was also a very non-descript year apart from a few decent thunderstorms in the summer and the cold autumn in general.

1995, 2005, 2009 and 2010 certainly go down in my book as the most varied and interesting years of recent times. The first 7 months of 2006 were also exceptionally varied for cold and heat, but the year as a whole was let down by the mind dumblingly dull last 5 months with anomalous warmth continuing in September.

1993 was also a very contrasting year like 2006 but with a much milder first half compared to a very chilly second half.

I like my years to have a bit of everything with extremes, i.e. cold snowy weather at times - or even better lengthy cold snowy periods, switcharounds in spring from cold to warmth, thundery downpours in summer interspersed with dry heatwaves, mixed autumns with a mix of everything i.e. fog, frost, wet weather. 2010 was nearly the perfect year in this regard albeit let down by the lack of switcharound conditions in spring and lack of heatwaves and thunder in summer... 2009 perhaps is a better match with decent thundery weather in the summer and greater levels of heat, with a more varied autumn. 2005 was a good year in this respect but let down by lack of cold weather in the winter, probably have to go back to 1995 for such a year indeed bookend the period April 95-March 96 and you'd have my ideal year.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted

There seems to be a consensus developing for 2002- I think we're all struggling to come up with anything memorable about that year! Two minor things I can recall- a warmish settled spell in late March and I also recall a very warm start to October with glorious sunshine in the Manchester area at the start of the month. There was also a decent warm spell in late July which coincided with the start of the Commonwealth Games. I really can't recall much else.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

My own version (last 20 years, since the age of 9 in Birmingham up to December 2009, then since in Portland, Dorset) -

1984 - Stormy at times January, some snowfall, very cold spell in February, warm and sunny Easter, poor late May / early June, hot July, mixed autumn, quite memorable.

1985 - February blizzards, followed by hard frosts and ice days, mixed March, then quite a poor, wet year, but then an October heatwave, and very cold late November, quite memorable.

1986 - Mild start, cold February and March with hard frosts, poor April, quite good May, fairly poor summer but mainly dry and sunny later but cool. Mild and wet late autumn, fairly forgettable.

1987 - Severe snow mid January, more snow at times in February and early March, otherwise often dry and dull. Excellent warm and fine mid to late April, some thunder in May, terribly wet June, nice early July and mid August, but otherwise a boring summer, Mixed autumn, very mild, dull and dry December, quite memorable.

1988 - Mild, boring winter and spring, apart from oone snowfall on 22nd January. Boring summer, dry autumn, sunny and frosty end October, some snow just after mid November, awfully mild and dry December. Forgettable overall.

1989 - Spring like winter, winter like Easter, Warm May, very thundery later. Renewed hot weather in June and July, spectacular thunderstorms 7th July. Unsettled August, fairly kind autumn, frost and fog mid November, some snow mid December, and thunder on 21st December, memorable.

1990 - Stormy early part, often spring-like in March, lovely late April and early May, soggy June, very hot July, and hot August (most of the month spent in Italy, where very hot and very dry indeed). Lack of thunder that summer. Warmish autumn, boring November, blizzards and thunder on 8th December, very windy later that month with hail and thunder on Christmas Day. Memorable

1991 - Very dry start, severe frosts and deep snowfall early to mid February. Cold April, cold, dry May, cool, wet June. Severe thunderstorms in early hours of 6th July, then a mixed July with warm spells. Warm August and early Septmeber. Average autumn, heavy rime frosts during the December fine spell. Quite memorable.

1992 - Very boring first few months, then a very warm May, lots of thunderstorms later. Thundery early June, fine and warm later. Increasingly poor summer, dire August, average September with big thunderstorms early on 18th. Cold, wet October, very wet early December, much frost and fog over Xmas. Memorable.

1993 - Boring start, then some snowfall and sharp frosts late February- early March. A turn around to a fine, warm mid-March. A mixed, mild spring, with frequent easterly winds in the second half, accompanied by overnight mist and periodic thundery rain. Hot for a short time early June, then severe thunderstorms, then cool, mixed, but warm and fine later. July, dry start then downhill, poor August, cool dry early Septmember then very unsettled and into early October. Then much colder, frosty, sunny, then anticyclonic gloom later and into early November. Briefly unsettled towards mid-month, then cold and frosty with some light snow, then a very mixed December indeed, with some snow, and some severe gales and heavy rain. Very memorable.

1994 - Mild January, cold February with lots of snow later, average but very windy March, poorish April, not a bad May, increasingly warm and muggy in June, with thunder later, often hot and humd in July, very thundery early August, then mixed until an Indian summer in October, warm November, mild December but a cold end, fairly memorable.

1995 - Very memorable indeed, very mixed winter with some heavy snowfalls, dry and mild spring bar a couple of really wet, cold days, boring early June, hot, dry summer with occasional violent thunderstorms, windy late August, poor September, but otherwise a nice autumn, very cold December with some snow, and very severe frosts after Xmas.

1996 - Memorable, spells of very cold easterly winds winter and spring, freezing rain 24th January, blizzards on 6th February. Snowfall mid March and mid April. Mainly dry spring, more northerly in May, warmer and wetter later. Hot, humid spell early June then violent thunderstorms on 7th, much of the summer then often warm and humid, with regular thundery spells. Dry September, cool and windy easterly later, nice autumn, but gales late October, some snow mid November, and lots of fog early to mid December, Very cold end to the year with some snow and severe frosts.

1997 - Cold start, mild, windy February, nice spring, wet June, hot and humid July and August, fine autumn, but cold late October, dull November, brieft snowfall mid December, stormy Xmas, fairly forgettable.

I shall do 1998 - 2012 tomorrow :)

• Like 1

Posted

I'd like to add a vote for 2002. The only thing remotely interesting I remember about that year was a warm, thundery spell which occurred when the Commonwealth Games were going on in Manchester.

2011 is saved thanks to that exceptional late autumn heatwave, otherwise it was a waste of warm synoptics (I think that April has been overrated, though obviously fascinating from a purely meteorological perspective). Of course even the second warmest year since 1659 couldn't stop all three summer months being below the 1659-present day average. A frustrating year.

2012 was at least interesting in its appallingness.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

Continued from my above post (1984 - 2012)

1998 - Memorable in the early part, then forgettable - Very warm spell in February, some wet snow at Easter, very wet April, some warm days in May, quite a drab summer and a wet autumn, mild and very windy Xmas.

1999 - Memorable, especially the first half - although the winter was quite boring, spring gave us quite a few spectacular thunderstorms, esp May and early June. Further storms in early July. Mainly very hot, dry July, drab August, wonderful warm September, cold and sunny October, some snow and ice before Xmas.

2000 - Quite forgettable, a very boring mild winter, nice March, soggy April, with some snow early on. A fairly drab year, with the only excitment provided by the late October stormy weather and severe cold and snow after Xmas.

2001 - Memorable at first, increasingly forgettable - Some cold, snowy spells January to March, nice late spring, mixed summer with some hot, humid spells, very dry and calm autumn apart from the warm and wet early to mid October. Heavy snowfall at end December.

2002 - Quite forgettable - Mild and stormy winter, dry and bland April, then very boring apart from some good thunderstorms early August. Dry and bland autumn until stormy late October, then mild and wet, but colder and drier mid December.

2003 - Memorable - Some good cold and snowy spells, then excellent sunny, mild March, and a lot of dry and sunny weather for months on end (apart from a mixed May), very hot at times during summer, and very oppressive early to mid August. Dry autumn, mild and damp later and in December.

2004 - Memorable - Very diverse winter, quite a poor spring but some thundery weather, and a very good late May and early June. Awful, wet late June and early July. Hot later July, a VERY thundery August indeed, mixed autumn but often warm, then very dry from Hallowe'en, a light snow dusting from the north-west later on Xmas Day.

2005 - Memorable - Very stormy 2nd week January, then often dry, windy and mild, Very cold with frequent snow showers late Feb and early March. Very wet just after Easter, a mixed spring, overnight thunder and hail early on 1st May. Mixed June, warmer and thundery later. A decent, mixed summer, similar to 1996, with some hot spells and thunderstorms, not forgetting the 28th July tornado in central south Birmingham. The second half of the year tended to exhibit a north-westerly tendency with HP over central Atlantic, often mild and cloudy, but a few wet cyclonic spells, also very cold late November, and again late December with some snow.

2006 - Memorable - Very dry and cold, then a poor spring and wet May, then hot June and July, mixed August with much thunder later, and that famous warm autumn which became very wet indeed.

2007 - Memorable, less so later - Mild and dry winter, but heavy snowfall 7 - 9 February. Very warm and dry April, very wet second half May, June and July with a couple of violent thunderstorms...often persistent periods of rain. Dry, cool August, dry and bland autumn.

2008 - Fairly forgettable, often dull and wet with a poor summer, but a heavy snowfall on 6th April, a warm first half of May, and unusually early snowfall on 28 October which froze overnight and remained on ground the next day. February, a very sunny month, apart from some freezing fog, saw some spectacular sunsets.

2009 - Memorable, my last year in Birmingham - The first half of February with the snowfalls, then the spring-like second half. Not a bad spring, though increasingly unsettled. Decent June, awful July, kind but cloudy August, decent autumn then very wet and very windy November. Much colder in run up to Xmas, moved to Portland on 18 December - there cold and mixed, back in Brum lying snow on Xmas Day.

2010 - Quite memorable - A cold winter, some slight snow but nothing compared to inland. Very dry first half of the year, glorious June and early July, then downhill, fairly wet autumn, unusual snowfalls for Portland in December, generally very cold and unsually frosty for this part of the world.

2011 - Fairly forgettable - Cold start, then mild and damp February, excellent spring and glorious April (good thunderstorms early May), then a bland mixture, but a good September and early October for warmth (and sea fog at times too). Very boring later in year.

2012 - Fairly forgettable - Very dry and bland, exceelent warm March, then awfully cloudy and wet for much of the year, though late May and late July saw hot spells, and August not a bad month.

2013 - Quite a dull winter, two unsual snowfalls on 18 January and 11 March, very cold March indeed, more changeable and warming April so far ...

Posted

2002 and 1988 get my vote overall for forgettablity.

I wouldn't say, personally, that April 2011 is overrated - it was a truly spectacular month here, astonishingly warm considering we jut out into the Channel, surrounded by cold seas at this time of year. The almost continuous sunshine and little wind, or gentle easterly to north-easterly winds of course were responsible for the remarkable consistency of warmth (or heat) that month.

• Like 1

Posted

2002 and 1988 get my vote overall for forgettablity.

I wouldn't say, personally, that April 2011 is overrated - it was a truly spectacular month here, astonishingly warm considering we jut out into the Channel, surrounded by cold seas at this time of year. The almost continuous sunshine and little wind, or gentle easterly to north-easterly winds of course were responsible for the remarkable consistency of warmth (or heat) that month.

Cant forget the rubbish wet cool summer of 1988.i got other reasons to remember summer 1988..not least England's woeful performance at Euro 88..and other things not allowed to mention on herePosted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I'd like to add a vote for 2002. The only thing remotely interesting I remember about that year was a warm, thundery spell which occurred when the Commonwealth Games were going on in Manchester.2011 is saved thanks to that exceptional late autumn heatwave, otherwise it was a waste of warm synoptics (I think that April has been overrated, though obviously fascinating from a purely meteorological perspective). Of course even the second warmest year since 1659 couldn't stop all three summer months being below the 1659-present day average. A frustrating year.2012 was at least interesting in its appallingness.

Indeed you're right there mate, 2002, July 30th I believe saw a series of awesome thunderstorms migrate their way up Eastern England, one of which had everyone down Bridge Street in Peterborough sheltering under the shops as the main street became a river and everywhere completely flooded, and the lightning above became absolutely insane! I'd never seen anything like it in all honesty, it was fr*gging awesome! Storms moved N-NNE but with a NNE wind going the opposite way to what the storms were travelling. And then that night, we had brilliant lightning with a NW Wind in the middle of the night (very unusual indeed) it had to be one of the best stormiest periods of my memory, despite the overall year being quite poor overall. I think this thundery spell, along with July 3rd 1999, July 4-5th 2001, June 24th and 28th 2005, August 31st 2005 and 26th July 2006 were the best days/periods for storms as far as I can remember.Here is a forecast I have found in actual fact to show this very potent thundery period!

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

• 3 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Indeed you're right there mate, 2002, July 30th I believe saw a series of awesome thunderstorms migrate their way up Eastern England, one of which had everyone down Bridge Street in Peterborough sheltering under the shops as the main street became a river and everywhere completely flooded, and the lightning above became absolutely insane! I'd never seen anything like it in all honesty, it was fr*gging awesome! Storms moved N-NNE but with a NNE wind going the opposite way to what the storms were travelling. And then that night, we had brilliant lightning with a NW Wind in the middle of the night (very unusual indeed) it had to be one of the best stormiest periods of my memory, despite the overall year being quite poor overall. I think this thundery spell, along with July 3rd 1999, July 4-5th 2001, June 24th and 28th 2005, August 31st 2005 and 26th July 2006 were the best days/periods for storms as far as I can remember.

Here is a forecast I have found in actual fact to show this very potent thundery period!

I remember this very well, after a hot spell of weather, some very good storms developed over Eastern England.

Was gutted though as I was on holiday in Cornwall at the time, and had to endure the torture of being updated about the weather at homePosted Image

In Cornwall it was cool with light rain, arrggg!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Continued from my above post (1984 - 2012)1998 - Memorable in the early part, then forgettable - Very warm spell in February, some wet snow at Easter, very wet April, some warm days in May, quite a drab summer and a wet autumn, mild and very windy Xmas.1999 - Memorable, especially the first half - although the winter was quite boring, spring gave us quite a few spectacular thunderstorms, esp May and early June. Further storms in early July. Mainly very hot, dry July, drab August, wonderful warm September, cold and sunny October, some snow and ice before Xmas.2000 - Quite forgettable, a very boring mild winter, nice March, soggy April, with some snow early on. A fairly drab year, with the only excitment provided by the late October stormy weather and severe cold and snow after Xmas.2001 - Memorable at first, increasingly forgettable - Some cold, snowy spells January to March, nice late spring, mixed summer with some hot, humid spells, very dry and calm autumn apart from the warm and wet early to mid October. Heavy snowfall at end December.2002 - Quite forgettable - Mild and stormy winter, dry and bland April, then very boring apart from some good thunderstorms early August. Dry and bland autumn until stormy late October, then mild and wet, but colder and drier mid December.2003 - Memorable - Some good cold and snowy spells, then excellent sunny, mild March, and a lot of dry and sunny weather for months on end (apart from a mixed May), very hot at times during summer, and very oppressive early to mid August. Dry autumn, mild and damp later and in December.2004 - Memorable - Very diverse winter, quite a poor spring but some thundery weather, and a very good late May and early June. Awful, wet late June and early July. Hot later July, a VERY thundery August indeed, mixed autumn but often warm, then very dry from Hallowe'en, a light snow dusting from the north-west later on Xmas Day.2005 - Memorable - Very stormy 2nd week January, then often dry, windy and mild, Very cold with frequent snow showers late Feb and early March. Very wet just after Easter, a mixed spring, overnight thunder and hail early on 1st May. Mixed June, warmer and thundery later. A decent, mixed summer, similar to 1996, with some hot spells and thunderstorms, not forgetting the 28th July tornado in central south Birmingham. The second half of the year tended to exhibit a north-westerly tendency with HP over central Atlantic, often mild and cloudy, but a few wet cyclonic spells, also very cold late November, and again late December with some snow.2006 - Memorable - Very dry and cold, then a poor spring and wet May, then hot June and July, mixed August with much thunder later, and that famous warm autumn which became very wet indeed.2007 - Memorable, less so later - Mild and dry winter, but heavy snowfall 7 - 9 February. Very warm and dry April, very wet second half May, June and July with a couple of violent thunderstorms...often persistent periods of rain. Dry, cool August, dry and bland autumn.2008 - Fairly forgettable, often dull and wet with a poor summer, but a heavy snowfall on 6th April, a warm first half of May, and unusually early snowfall on 28 October which froze overnight and remained on ground the next day. February, a very sunny month, apart from some freezing fog, saw some spectacular sunsets.2009 - Memorable, my last year in Birmingham - The first half of February with the snowfalls, then the spring-like second half. Not a bad spring, though increasingly unsettled. Decent June, awful July, kind but cloudy August, decent autumn then very wet and very windy November. Much colder in run up to Xmas, moved to Portland on 18 December - there cold and mixed, back in Brum lying snow on Xmas Day.2010 - Quite memorable - A cold winter, some slight snow but nothing compared to inland. Very dry first half of the year, glorious June and early July, then downhill, fairly wet autumn, unusual snowfalls for Portland in December, generally very cold and unsually frosty for this part of the world.2011 - Fairly forgettable - Cold start, then mild and damp February, excellent spring and glorious April (good thunderstorms early May), then a bland mixture, but a good September and early October for warmth (and sea fog at times too). Very boring later in year.2012 - Fairly forgettable - Very dry and bland, exceelent warm March, then awfully cloudy and wet for much of the year, though late May and late July saw hot spells, and August not a bad month.2013 - Quite a dull winter, two unsual snowfalls on 18 January and 11 March, very cold March indeed, more changeable and warming April so far ...

am guessing that you get weather far different to us here in the pennines,your descriptions seem to make light of long hot summers and the severe winters.I guess it is everyone has their own memories.2000 here for example had quite a decent summer and a terribly wet autumn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I remember this very well, after a hot spell of weather, some very good storms developed over Eastern England.

Was gutted though as I was on holiday in Cornwall at the time, and had to endure the torture of being updated about the weather at homePosted Image

In Cornwall it was cool with light rain, arrggg!

Ah gutted mate, honestly, you would've been amazed. Can still remember it now! 

I read a report about that day that St Ives got majorly flash flooded that day and ranked up with one of the highest totals of rain too (something silly like 60 odd mm in a very short period). Quite exceptional.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heatwaves & thunderstorms

I have to agree 2002 was a forgettable year weather wise, especially Christmas which felt unseasonable. 17C where I was on Christmas Eve!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

2013 so far is shaping up to be one of the more memorable years recently, with a cold winter with hefty falls of snow, a very cold, snowy March, a cold, frosty April and one of the warmest July's on record.

2012 was similar to 2007 with some very wet months, April was also very cold and had some snow early in the month, and a cold first half to February with lows here getting to -12C.

2011 was extremely forgettable. Its only saving grace is the record high of 29C we recorded here on the first of October. April was also very dry with less than 1mm.

2010 was a very memorable year to me and will always be associated with the cold months of January, November and December.

2009 had some great thunderstorms too, and decent snowfalls in February and December, and a very wet November.

2008 and 2007 were definitely not forgettable in my eyes, February 2008 was exceptionally sunny and had an interesting freezing fog period, while 2007 had some great thunderstorms and exceptional rainfall totals. 2007 will never be forgotten, but for the wrong reasons mostly (flooding etc).

2006 - very hot July, a very warm June, a very cold first half to March.

2005 - I don't remember much from this year, but we had a snowy period in Feb/Mar.

2004 - some great thunderstorms.

2003 - a warm August, but nothing exceptional, and not a patch on 1995 or 1990 IMO.

2002 - nothing sticks out.

Edited by cheese