Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

This is the end

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

I've been a member of Netweather since 2005.

In that time I've seen the idea of the sea temperatures over the Pacific having an influence on global weather patterns go from very doubtful to routinely accepted and monitored on a daily basis. The idea that the polar stratosphere exerts a huge influence on the hemispheric pattern in winter go from almost unspoken to now accepted long range guidance.

Regulars will know that I champion a non numerical weather model approach to long range weather forecasting - that in order to accept a model forecast you must first understand and form an opinion of how the global pattern is being driven. This has had its failures, but it's had its successes too. These successes have not gone un-noticed and I've been fortunate enough to have been offered a role with a large multinational providing consultative long range weather forecasts. A tremendous challenge but one I'm very keen on.

This requires complete dedication and precludes any public forecasting role.

Therefore, this posting will be my last on Netweather.

I would like to take this opportunity in thanking Paul for his support over the last few years and the platform that he's given me. I would also like to thank all those others who've attempted to understand my postings over the years, and those who we've shared ideas with, no matter how bonkers they seemed at the time. No doubt others will pick up and run with the approach that I've been keen to promote as the way forward.

You may see me lurking from time to time, but from me for now, I bid you adieu.

Best regards

Stewart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

:o big things for you then Stewart! I for one will be sad to see you leave but it was always destined to happen IMO (and I certainly did wonder if this may be the case when Paul posted that forecaster job). All the very best for the future Stewart, I wish you every success. Your shoes will be very big ones to fill!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Many thanks for your excellent forecast's Stewart, and I wish you all the luck for the future.

PM.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Congratulations GP, I wish you the best in your new job.

Their gain is our loss.

Posted

All the very best in your new venture and thankyou for all your hard work here on netweather

Kind regards,

Edited by hilldweller

Posted

Good luck, GP! I've only been on Netweather since the end of last year but in that time you have proven to be a fantastic forecaster with an astounding knowledge of global weather patterns and their impact on weather in the UK. You will be sorely missed by many on here.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Congratulations and good look.

Should you move on from the job i hope you will return.

Posted

bloody hell was what my reaction was

All the very best Stewart I am sure you will make a success of the job. It really is a great reflection on your work in the longer term forecast field.

It is of course a huge loss to Net Weather, gawd knows who has sufficient in depth knowledge which you gained to take over the job of predicting 3 months in advance, and the in depth ideas in shorter time scales you gave, but hope springs eternal, either from our present ranks or someone new.

Good luck Stewart; as a retired professional forecaster I have learned a lot from you.

Posted

All the very best Stewart, thank you for being such an entertaining and informative poster for all these years :)

Bish

Posted

Obviously all this has been said privately too, but I'd just like to publicly say thanks for all your work Stewart. We'll obviously miss you but wish you every success in the new role.

(PS CC, the recently advertised forecaster role is actually unrelated!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

All the best Stew! Your informative forecasts and posts on this forum has made me and i'm sure many others hooked on long range forecasting and what drives our weather. Netweather's loss is another companies gain. I wish you every success in your new job. drinks.gif

Posted

Many thanks for your excellent forecast's Stewart, and I wish you all the luck for the future.

PM.

Also your Winter Forecast for this year was spot on, Well done !

Posted

I wish you all the best for the future Stewart. Your fantastic input and forecasts will be greatly missed on here and many have learnt alot from your work.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

All the best, Stewart. And many thanks for the time and effort spent on education all of us all, on so many facets of meteorology.good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

All the very best Stewart. I have been convinced for sometime now that your non numerical way of longer range forecasting was the way forward and it is interesting to note that a large corporation has seen the value of this as well. You will I know be sadly missed here on Netweather by those with any decent level of meteorological understanding. I have followed your forecasts avidly over your time here and they have proved the most reliable I have come across. The very best of luck for the future.

Posted

All the best - i tried to understand your work as much as i could.

Is the multi national a weather co. or a co. that requires uptodate weather forecasts? Sorry if that's a bit nosey.

Oh...and best of luck with the horses...i'm a horse racing nut as well.

Regards BB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Good luck Stewart, thanks for your imput other the years have found your forecasts the must accurate on the web. Also have learned alot by watching your forecasts as they were always well explained and detailed. You will be missed on Netweather but wish you success in you new job.

Posted

so the only way we'll know what the season has in store is by judging if the gas prices are going up or down!!

tbh, i'm quite surprised this hadn't happened before. deserved reward indeed. (you don't have to be a complete stranger though - matt manages to pop in and out from time to time and i'm sure we would appreciate the fact that you couldn't post your thoughts in any detail).

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all the best Stewart.

I am very sorry to see that you will no longer be able to contribute to Netweather, but very pleased that your work is being recognised on a grander scale.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for all your postings and long range work since you have been on netweather. At first, this seemed like another language to me, but slowly, through your explanations there is a light for me and I presume many others at the end of the tunnel. So well done for bringing the concepts of large scale GWO seasonal long wave patterns to the masses.

So keep up the good work and perhaps one day we will see you again able to post publically once more with your musings.

All the best.

Ed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Will be a shame to see you go. You've been a great member who has provided some really amusing forecasts with a lot of useful information that people can learn from in regards to model forecasting and general weather predicting. Although weather forecasting is not always about getting it spot-on, I would honestly say you have been pretty accurate in your predictions in general, and even when errors may have occurred, I have liked the fact that you would explain why it went wrong. And is one other aspect I feel has made you a forecaster worth taking seriously. I wish you good luck with your future ambitions, and thanks a lot for your fab input on this site. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

Wow I wasnt expecting that! Congratulations Mr Point biggrin.png

Ive thoroughly enjoyed reading and not fully understanding your posts these past few years.

Very Best wishes to you.

Posted

I've followed your thoughts for many years Stewart and I realised a couple of years ago that you will no doubt be working for an Energy at some point (obviously I don't know if that is the case!) Especially after the respect you gained with your postings over on Easternuswx.

Good luck fella

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Won't be the same without you Stewart. I certainly don't envy whoever has to take your place, trying to live up the the legend!

Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat