Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 13th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I wonder whether people will see snow, temps are dropping quite fast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Pretty boring really (not) yet another channel low LOL, certainly a shift south, what will ECM come up with?

Yep - getting predictable isn't it lazy.giftongue.pngwink.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

http://www.meteociel...deles/ecmwf.php

gotta go out so will not post the ecm coming soon

link above if you want to post any

look at ukmo

at 120

UW120-21.GIF?17-17

has everything further south

and at 144

UW144-21.GIF?17-17

got a feeling a warm up is on ho;d

if the uppers are there that would be heavy .... rofl.gif

channel low

reckon ecm will be fun

back later with the fax charts

That looks like last week monday round two but with the heavier stuff further north.

Posted

Yep - getting predictable isn't it lazy.giftongue.pngwink.png

looking at my rain alarm could be a interesting few hours coming up with that channel low its not far from Brighton and coast country

Edited by tinybill

Posted

looking at my rain alarm could be a interesting few hours coming up with that channel low its not far from Brighton and coast country

Its close to Tamara country as wellunsure.png

Guest bjaykent

I'm the same as you and SL and Tom. I used to like storms actually till about four/five years ago. But having had two very unpleasant and scary experiences with them in fairly quick succession, I now hate themsad.pngdoh.gif . During the day isn't so bad because I escape to the shopsblum.gif , or I have may work to do anyway which means other people are around and I am distracted. But the only antidotes I have at night time are earplugs...and plenty of wine!laugh.pngwink.png That is the worst time when it is dark and there is no escape from themsmile.png

uff - actually on this subject there have been a rash of sferics on the French coast and it seems (so far) that the only thing stopping them is the channel...

http://www.meteox.co...&soort=satradar

I went to Turkey a couple of years ago at the end of the season and had a storm come up off the sea from nothing with very high winds that completely wrecked the beach bars, broke windows in all the hotels, trees down everywhere, no electricity for several hours and gave the most amazing overhead storm, the next building attached to our hotel got a direct hit, the loudest noise I have ever heard and caught fire. A very interesting couple of hours but I must say it hasn't dented my love of thunderstorms, I still stand outside in them! tease.gif

Edited by bjaykent

Posted

I went to Turkey a couple of years ago at the end of the season and had a storm come up off the sea from nothing with very high winds that completely wrecked the beach bars, broke window in all the hotels, trees down everywhere, no electricity for several hours and gave the most amazing overhead storm, the next building attached to our hotel got a direct hit, the loudest noise I have ever heard and caught fire. A very interesting couple of hours but I must say it hasn't dented my love of thunder storms, I still stand outside in them! tease.gif

We will have fun teasing each other this summer thentease.gifwink.png Amazing story about that storm in Turkey - sounds like it would have been paradise for merofl.gif The strange thing is though, they bother me less when I am not at home. F.e there were storms in Germany when I was on holiday there last May and I was far less bothered than at home. Wine definitely was a factor then too which helpeddrinks.gifbiggrin.png

The clouds are awesome to look at though - I still love watching them from a distance, if they are not coming this way

Edited by Tamara Road

Guest bjaykent

We will have fun teasing each other this summer thentease.gifwink.png Amazing story about that storm in Turkey - sounds like it would have been paradise for merofl.gif The strange thing is though, they bother me less when I am not at home. F.e there were storms in Germany when I was on holiday there last May and I was far less bothered than at home. Wine definitely was a factor then too which helpeddrinks.gifbiggrin.png

The clouds are awesome to look at though - I still love watching them from a distance, if they are not coming this way

Alcohol certainly does the trick, I think the only time thunderstorms ever worry me really is on a plane, had a very bumpy landing in Ibiza one year at the height of a thunderstorm, would be happy never to experience that again.good.gif

Posted

I'm the same as you and SL and Tom. I used to like storms actually till about four/five years ago. But having had two very unpleasant and scary experiences with them in fairly quick succession, I now hate themsad.pngdoh.gif . During the day isn't so bad because I escape to the shopsblum.gif , or I may have work to do anyway which means other people are around and I am distracted. But the only antidotes I have at night time are earplugs...and plenty of wine!laugh.pngwink.png That is the worst time when it is dark and there is no escape from themsmile.png

uff - actually on this subject there have been a rash of sferics on the French coast and it seems (so far) that the only thing stopping them is the channel...

Hi Tamara,

Yes I agree, night times are definitely the worst. I had a bad electric shock when I was 9 and that started the phobia. To this day I cant even change a light bulb.

I equate lightning to electricity so that's the problem

Posted

Alcohol certainly does the trick, I think the only time thunderstorms ever worry me really is on a plane, had a very bumpy landing in Ibiza one year at the height of a thunderstorm, would be happy never to experience that again.good.gif

My memory plays tricks with my great old age but I still remember when I flew home from New York many years back and there was a storm at La guardia airport at take off. Very very bumpyohmy.png Spectacular light show from the plane window - it could have been a scene from Airplane for a while with the passengers all stressed out as they were and the Cabin crew trying to re-assure everybodybiggrin.png

250px-Airplane_screenshot_Haggerty_Nielsen.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

You guys are scaring me just reading all of this!

Jan, I put my lights on during the day and close my blinds at night! But you should always "Put your lights on", if you're a Brontophobe.

I wouldnt say I hate thunder but I'm the only person I know who listens to The Doors, "Riders' on the storm", with the volume turned off! I really like

The Doors too.

Really pouring down now, outside the office, in Croydon. Is there any thunder about at the moment?

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

My memory plays tricks with my great old age but I still remember when I flew home from New York many years back and there was a storm at La guardia airport at take off. Very very bumpyohmy.png Spectacular light show from the plane window - it could have been a scene from Airplane for a while with the passengers all stressed out as they were and the Cabin crew trying to re-assure everybodybiggrin.png

Shirley not? blum.gif

Posted

Hi Tamara,

Yes I agree, night times are definitely the worst. I had a bad electric shock when I was 9 and that started the phobia. To this day I cant even change a light bulb.

I equate lightning to electricity so that's the problem

I guess in that respect I have been fortunate that mine began later in life as it hassmile.png Variations on a theme but I also am wary of a similar thing in terms of electricity and lightning. The second experience I had which further put me off storms there was a crackling sound and a blinding flash. I thought that the house had been struck by lightning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Shirley not? blum.gif

There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

rofl.gif

Edited by PerfectStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Hmmm Interesting. Complete opposite looking out the window.

Moderate Snow

2°C Feels Like: 2° Wind Chill: 2° Ceiling: 700 Heat Index: 2° Visibility: 4mi Dew Point: 1° Wind: 0mph Humidity: 93% Direction: NA NA Pressure: 29.15" Gusts: NA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Shirley not? blum.gif

Rapunzel, to the radar and dont forget there's a sale on at Maceys!

Look stop it guys, I'm trying to work! nonono.gif

Tom.

Guest bjaykent

Funny! the only thing I remember about my bumpy landing was that all the passengers broke out in to applause when we finally touched down, including myself which is a measure of how bad it was as normally, people clapping on landing is something that annoys me!

As for poor Jan Bromley, I do feel for you, that doesn't sound nice having an electric shock at any age, the only similar phobia I ever had was bursting balloons, thanks to someone popping one right behind me when I was about 7 or 8, took me until I had my own children and needed to blow up party balloons to get over it! tease.gif

I'm the same as you and SL and Tom. I used to like storms actually till about four/five years ago. But having had two very unpleasant and scary experiences with them in fairly quick succession, I now hate themsad.pngdoh.gif . During the day isn't so bad because I escape to the shopsblum.gif , or I may have work to do anyway which means other people are around and I am distracted. But the only antidotes I have at night time are earplugs...and plenty of wine!laugh.pngwink.png That is the worst time when it is dark and there is no escape from themsmile.png

agree night time is the worst :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

post-10773-0-34835500-1363544259_thumb.j

How about a nice new phobia free thread ?

I'll post a link shortly .............

Edited by MKsnowangel