Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion 09/03/13 21z---->

A.J

Posted

Looks like some interesting weather heading our way from the south in the coming hours.

As for next week,well.....ohmy.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Looks like some interesting weather heading our way from the south in the coming hours.

As for next week,well.....ohmy.png

wow yeah these some intense rainfall in that gunna check the regionals to see if these any thunderstorms/thundersnow Edited by Boro Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Lets just get it all out of the way now.better now than a visit mid-late May.

Agreed last year was rubbish from April onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

It seems that this winter is the gift that just keeps on giving.

Obviously not anywhere near as good as the epic cold spells of 2009 and 2010 but I have to say we've seen a good number of snowfalls and snow events this winter, stretching right back to October!

Spring is clearly going to be shorter this year and we may end up just going straight into summer at this rate.

Posted

It seems that this winter is the gift that just keeps on giving.

Obviously not anywhere near as good as the epic cold spells of 2009 and 2010 but I have to say we've seen a good number of snowfalls and snow events this winter, stretching right back to October!

Spring is clearly going to be shorter this year and we may end up just going straight into summer at this rate.

This winter / extended winter for me has been a cold one (only a few milder spells early January and late February spring to mind) but it hasn't been a winter of "disruptive" snow (so far) I can only remember one night of heavy snow can't remember the exact date but i know it was a Friday night / Saturday morning and it dumped about 8cm down (think it was in January) other than that its been 2 or 3cm here and there the odd fall of 4cm but other than that the snow fall has been nothing like 2010. Of course higher ground has had significant falls but lower levels have mostly escaped so far

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

This winter / extended winter for me has been a cold one (only a few milder spells early January and late February spring to mind) but it hasn't been a winter of "disruptive" snow (so far) I can only remember one night of heavy snow can't remember the exact date but i know it was a Friday night / Saturday morning and it dumped about 8cm down (think it was in January) other than that its been 2 or 3cm here and there the odd fall of 4cm but other than that the snow fall has been nothing like 2010. Of course higher ground has had significant falls but lower levels have mostly escaped so far

dont u think dec 2009 was better than 2010

Posted

dont u think dec 2009 was better than 2010

I'm struggling to remember back to 2009 I know 2010 brought lots of snow here and deep cold the snow was above my rigger boots when I was through at Shildon every week day for the bulk of December it just kept falling and falling just when it seemed to start melting it got topped up again that year was the north sea delivering with out doubt

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Yes I think you sum the winter up pretty well there Gav.

It's been a strange winter in the sense that I've seen snow on occasions when I personally felt the temperature wasn't that cold. To that end I think this winter has taught me that temperatures don't have to be as low as I thought for snow to fall if that makes any sense. I'm assuming dewpoints were lower to enable this to be possible.

How you can't remember the epic cold spell of 2009 is beyond me mind! It was unbelievable, I still have a picture of my car thermometer at 7:30am showing -9c and here in Newcastle (a mile or so from the city centre) we'd had 9" of snow fall overnight and the roads were horrendous.

Happy days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I think December 2009 wasn't spectacular, we had about 2 inches here, but it came during the run up to Christmas and the temperatures were very low. January 2010 was when nearly a foot of snow accumulated in Newcastle. November and December 2010 were by far the snowiest with several 4-6 inch snowfalls over the period of a week.

This January we had more than half a foot / 15cm, and significant snow fell in all three winter months, so I don't really think we can complain about it. Other than 09/10 and 10/11 it has been one of the better winters in the past two decades for snow, and it might not even be over with some marginal snowfalls possible this week.

I would certainly expect somewhere in the NE quadrant of the UK to get a big fall on Tuesday, whether that ends up being NE England or E Scotland is yet to be seen. The 18z GFS has downgraded the risk for low levels in NE England, but that could easily change again on the 0z. We do still get -10 uppers later in the week so some North Sea snow would be possible if we miss out on the Tuesday event.

Posted

I'm struggling to remember back to 2009 I know 2010 brought lots of snow here and deep cold the snow was above my rigger boots when I was through at Shildon every week day for the bulk of December it just kept falling and falling just when it seemed to start melting it got topped up again that year was the north sea delivering with out doubt

no way dec 2009 was fantastic about 8/9 inches of snow n the temps on a morning when i was driving through to thornaby at 7am was -10, and xmas day night it snowed which is why its my fav snow spell, and it lasted weeks, happy days Edited by Boro Snow

Posted

I think December 2009 wasn't spectacular, we had about 2 inches here, but it came during the run up to Christmas and the temperatures were very low. January 2010 was when nearly a foot of snow accumulated in Newcastle. November and December 2010 were by far the snowiest with several 4-6 inch snowfalls over the period of a week.

This January we had more than half a foot / 15cm, and significant snow fell in all three winter months, so I don't really think we can complain about it. Other than 09/10 and 10/11 it has been one of the better winters in the past two decades for snow, and it might not even be over with some marginal snowfalls possible this week.

I would certainly expect somewhere in the NE quadrant of the UK to get a big fall on Tuesday, whether that ends up being NE England or E Scotland is yet to be seen. The 18z GFS has downgraded the risk for low levels in NE England, but that could easily change again on the 0z. We do still get -10 uppers later in the week so some North Sea snow would be possible if we miss out on the Tuesday event.

Eh???!!!

The November/December 2009 cold spell produced more than 2" of snow! We had 9" snow before November was out.

Posted

Eh???!!!

The November/December 2009 cold spell produced more than 2" of snow! We had 9" snow before November was out.

The 2009 spell was Dec/Jan, wasn't it? The Nov/Dec spell was 2010.

Posted

Eh???!!!

Climb into the weather tardis and look again.biggrin.png

Meteociel - Archives des analyses NCEP de 1871 à aujourd'hui

Posted

The 2009 spell was Dec/Jan, wasn't it? The Nov/Dec spell was 2010.

we had very heavy snow in nov 09 then a slight warm up then the last 2 3rds of dec was epic

actually i might be wrong i think nov 2009 was were they was major flooding all over the uk

Edited by Boro Snow

Posted

Last from the met office is suggesting Tuesday's event (based on Darlo) will start off as heavy rain before turning to sleet and then light snow from later in the afternoon before dying out during the evening.

Wednesday and Thursday are both cloudy and dry with some brighter spells

Tuesday's warning is unchanged and still covers Durham & Northumberland only

Posted

Awoken to à light snow cover here, v Surprised. The Hills are covered thick, v trough walking conditions. Its a v wintry feeling morning, certainly not springlike. Its noteworthy how the met warnings for snow fri eve on low ground were unnecessary, snow only at 500m they were way off the mark, yet no warnings for lady night, they were obviously caught out by the lower uppers. It all bodes well for low level snow across the régionnext week as uppers and thicknesses and dewpoints will be more conducive for snow comparéd to the current marginal conditions, as these are producing the goods. Im loosing count of the number of mini snow events this season.

Posted

The NAE seems keen for snow across higher parts of the region tonight,and also mentioned

on latest beeb forecast.

Posted

Yellow Warning of Snow17 Mar 2013, 21:00Issued at - 17 Mar 2013, 11:42

Valid from - 17 Mar 2013, 21:00

Valid to - 18 Mar 2013, 10:00

Showery outbreaks of rain and sleet with hill snow, will turn increasingly back to snow on Sunday night and the first part of Monday, particularly over hills across Northern England and parts of Scotland.

At lower levels, many places will probably see little or no snow, but a few areas could catch 1 to 4 cm. Above about 250 metres, such amounts will be more likely, with a few places seeing between 4 and 10 cm of snowfall. Ice will be an additional hazard where skies clear later in the night.

The public should be aware of these wintry hazards while traveling later on Sunday, and especially around the Monday morning peak travel times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The NAE also shows heavy snow down to sea level by Monday night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

when did we get the snow this time last year?it came after i planted my onions out i remember.

I remember heavy wet snow near the Tyne and Wear coast during the first few days of April, which provided a covering in inland/upland areas.

Posted

when did we get the snow this time last year?it came after i planted my onions out i remember.

It was the 3rd of April peter,took this pic of the front garden.

Cherry blossom looking a bit sorry for itself.

Posted

BBC Weather for the week ahead shows Tuesdays event for lower levels been on of Rain turning to snow so I can't see much settling at lower levels thankfully. Not much snow after Tuesday remaining cold highs around 4c at best (milder midlands south 5c to 8c) with the Atlantic pushing in to the south west by Friday and the winds shift to a South easterly direction

EDIT

Tuesdays snow warning has just been removed by the met office Mondays remains in place

Edited by Gavin.