Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Russian Meteorite and weather patterns

Posted

Afternoon all, Wondering if some of the more experienced folks could give me there thoughts on an idea i've been thinking about.

Considering the cold weather blast we now have forecast, I'm wondering if something triggered this quick change. I've been following with interest the ssw talk and it's very refreshing to see this site being so ahead of the game with this new science. I remember well the Thames streamer a few years ago on the very night we had a 30deg rise in the upper atmos linked to a ssw. I may be mistaken but i have read a lot of comments about a 2 week or so propagation of this working down the into the lower atmos.

So my thoughts are, surely this Meteor on Feb 15th in Russia has had an effect on all of the atmosphere. Has anyone been looking at the effect of shockwaves on weather patterns etc? This registered on Nuclear reading sites all across the world including the south pole.

http://youtu.be/90Omh7_I8vI

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

am no scientist but i doubt that there was enough power to change weather systems,yet after the tunguska event in 1908,which was much bigger and flattened a forest the size inside the m25 thtew dust into the atmosphere giving very light nights in england some almost bordering on daylight for a few weeks..................this may have had an effect on weather at the time

Posted

I was thinking the heat causing a warming in the upper atmos. May have to go digging for those dates. I was on a flight that day and there was some very strange turbulance, fly a lot and that day was very different. Didn't know about the meteor till after.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Well they say the after shock spread around the world three times in the upper atmos........ so who's to say that it did or did'nt do somethink to the upper atmos

we many never know

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

i think only larger meteorites (> 1km diameter) can have impacts on the environment like ozone destruction, acid rain, earthquakes, hurricanes etc but something as small as what hit Russia its highly unlikely (about 15m diameter).

there must have been some very small scale effects on earth but these appear to be inconsequential

Posted

I'm thinking wether it would effect the strat like a ssw. Just had a look in the strat thread and there seems to be some warming recently. The energy given off with this was massive, energy is heat. I can only see cause and effect happening. Will ask there for some thoughts too.

Posted

I would think the heating effect higher up not much more than for example launching a satellite which happens every other day just about.

It would likely dissipate in a matter of hours considering the extreme cold at altitude.

Posted

No way was the heat released in about a minute dropping through the atmosphere equal to multiple nuclear blasts.

Posted

Have you looked into it 4wd? Some info from Nasa on the details of energy released. (Hiroshima was equivalent of 16kilotons of TNT).

Here's the details of what was released into the atmos that day from Nasa.

Altitude of maximum brightness:

23.3 km (14.5 miles)

Velocity at peak brightness:

18.6 km/s (11.6 miles/s)

Approximate total radiated energy of fireball:

3.75 x 1014 Joules. This is the equivalent of about 90 kilotons of TNT explosives, but it does not represent the total impact energy, which is several times larger than the observed total radiated energy.

Approximate total impact energy of the fireball in kilotons of TNT explosives (the energy parameter usually quoted for a fireball):

440 kilotons.

This thing was epic...

Edited by mesocyclone

It would seem logical to have an effect on the atmosphere with the release of 3.75 x 10e14 joules, but on the balance of things the incoming solar radiation is 173 petawatts which is the equivalent to 461 of this meteorite every second so on a global scale the influence is probably negligible.