Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club (NSC) 2014 Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

here I am again. Not very impressed!  :aggressive:

It split on its way to us, then re-joined on the other side of town and formed a squall line!!! :( very disappointing AGAIN.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

It split on its way to us, then re-joined on the other side of town and formed a squall line!!! :( very disappointing AGAIN

So annoying. 

But anyways days like this are my favorite, hot, humid clouds building storms all around. Could smell the rainy smell from the pasting storm so not all is lost.

Next time!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Still bl**** waiting.Guildford hit by best storm since 1999 early on Saturday morning - 18 hours before I arrived back from holiday.I posted back in May about this incessant bad luck of missing events at home when away on holiday - This annoyance and curse never seems to go away.Back for the summer now - so it's probably back to weeks of boring humid muck without storms here while the usual (Lincolnshire) areas get the 'goods'.Absolutely livid.Fed up with people saying, "did you see the storm"?. No I bl**** didn't - nothing severe happens in Guildford when I'm here.Why can't I have a holiday which;(a) Is not ruined by poor weather (eg. drizzle, cloud, wind and lack of sunshine). 2013.(b) Is not ruined by missing some exciting event at home while away, having had to sit through garbage, like that suffered in May where everywhere else gets the storms and Guildford misses out completely. 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014.© Produces an interesting event at the holiday destination at the time when I am there - not the night before I arrive (2013, 2014) or week later after I depart (2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2013) etc. Seems most other people have an exciting event when they holiday and they DON'T MISS ANY EVENTS AT HOME WHILE AWAY.Hopefully the abomination that has cursed me with this endless run of bad luck associated with sods law and never being in the right area at the right time, might get hit by a +ve CG and destroyed. I can then finally witness a decent thunder event where more normal statistical odds operate meaning a greater chance of being in the right area at the right time.Sorry for the rant but I have had a gut-full of this type of letdown in recent years - lousy thunder-free summers like 2010 and 2011, thundery summers like 2012 and 2013 where local areas missed everything, horrid days like 28th June 2012 seeing the usual eastern areas and much of northern England get USA-mid-west style storms while all Guildford sees is a pathetic puff of wind and the humid filth reduced in the fresher post-cold front air-mass, impressive rainfall events while away on holiday as in 2011, 2012 (and now 2014) where the rest of the summer yielded nothing.Let's hope 2014 can deliver - for everyone else here it already has - last time I saw anything worthwhile was in 2009 and really back as far as 1999 for anything prolonged (missed the main storms in 2006, the last above average year for thunder days here - as usual).

Was the 1999 event on the 3rd of July that year? Im pretty certain that the whole of East Anglia and the South/SouthEast was under a huge electrically active MCS that night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

The 1999 event I was referring to was the night of the 1st / 2nd June.

I measured 39.5 mm rain overnight from 3 separate periods of torrential rain and thunder.

Below is my report for that night, copied from the June 1999 station notes.

"Wednesday June 2nd: Very stormy night. Three main areas of activity, preceded by light rain and slight thunderstorm at 2300 GMT (1/6) to 2330 GMT. Torrential rain and thunderstorm, 0120 GMT to 0210 GMT with overhead lightning at 0147 GMT. Extremely heavy rain with much surface water 0350 GMT to 0410 GMT, notably vivid lightning. Last burst at 0525 GMT to 0540 GMT. Torrential rain with little thunder. Daily rainfall total 39.5mm (1.56ins), where 35.5mm (1.40ins) fell 2300 GMT (1/6) to 0600 GMT, and 4mm (0.16ins) fell in heavy squally shower at 1236 GMT to 1244 GMT."

Before this storm arrived - my bedside lamp was making odd clicking and fizzing noises suggesting much charge in the air and a portent of the excitement coming over the next few hours.

1999 was an excellent year for thunderstorms and although I missed events while away on holiday in August, I still witnessed the main events in that year. 2006 was also a thundery year (23 days in '99 and '06) but the events were not as spectacular as in '99. I also (yet again) missed the years severest event on 13th August '06 while away in Cornwall.

I therefore firmly state that 1999 was the last good year for storms in this area. There were good thunder events on;

19th May

29th May

2nd June

3rd July - lightning and thunder only (Fleet, Hants) and only distant lightning at Guildford.

1st August

9th August - missed event while on holiday (told it was more 'thundery rain' than a thunderstorm.

5th September (no rain)

22nd September

• Like 1

Posted

The 1999 event I was referring to was the night of the 1st / 2nd June.I measured 39.5 mm rain overnight from 3 separate periods of torrential rain and thunder.Below is my report for that night, copied from the June 1999 station notes."Wednesday June 2nd: Very stormy night. Three main areas of activity, preceded by light rain and slight thunderstorm at 2300 GMT (1/6) to 2330 GMT. Torrential rain and thunderstorm, 0120 GMT to 0210 GMT with overhead lightning at 0147 GMT. Extremely heavy rain with much surface water 0350 GMT to 0410 GMT, notably vivid lightning. Last burst at 0525 GMT to 0540 GMT. Torrential rain with little thunder. Daily rainfall total 39.5mm (1.56ins), where 35.5mm (1.40ins) fell 2300 GMT (1/6) to 0600 GMT, and 4mm (0.16ins) fell in heavy squally shower at 1236 GMT to 1244 GMT."Before this storm arrived - my bedside lamp was making odd clicking and fizzing noises suggesting much charge in the air and a portent of the excitement coming over the next few hours.1999 was an excellent year for thunderstorms and although I missed events while away on holiday in August, I still witnessed the main events in that year. 2006 was also a thundery year (23 days in '99 and '06) but the events were not as spectacular as in '99. I also (yet again) missed the years severest event on 13th August '06 while away in Cornwall.I therefore firmly state that 1999 was the last good year for storms in this area. There were good thunder events on;19th May29th May2nd June3rd July - lightning and thunder only (Fleet, Hants) and only distant lightning at Guildford.1st August9th August - missed event while on holiday (told it was more 'thundery rain' than a thunderstorm.5th September (no rain)22nd September

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Sigh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

This is bleeding sod's law at it's finest isn't it? On 30 June and 1 July, there is a 64% and 72% thunderstorm risk in Failsworth respectively, but I won't even be here! I'll be in Aberystwyth.I will actually bet that the best thunderstorm in years will come rolling through between Monday and Thursday next week.Bleedin' typical!

long way out that! bloody 'ell! may end up with a storm in aberystwyth,

Posted

This is bleeding sod's law at it's finest isn't it? On 30 June and 1 July, there is a 64% and 72% thunderstorm risk in Failsworth respectively, but I won't even be here! I'll be in Aberystwyth.I will actually bet that the best thunderstorm in years will come rolling through between Monday and Thursday next week.Bleedin' typical!

According to the latest Met Office warnings, looks like we are going to miss out again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Believe you me, I seem to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time! Almost as if someone out of touch is deliberately spiting me lol. Really irritates me to see where I was the other day get a storm, then when I go there instead of where I previously was, they get a stonker instead!!

Not to mention that some of my family who arent even remotely interested in weather always rub salt in the wounds and say how groundshaking the thunder was etc !! Gaaaaaaahhh  :wallbash:  :rofl:

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted

This year I saw a storm literally split in half and then rejoin once it had passed my area. That is the strength of the Medway Storm Shield.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Oops posted in wrong thread.

Edited by SnowJoke

Posted

Looks like today is yet another one in the long list of stormless days for Chelmsford, i just can't figure out why we don't get them over here anymore :(

Posted

The Met Office's lightning strike map for June is going to be interesting, it's going to show a big hole over a good part of Greater Manchester.

And there you go! http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/anomactsLooking at the chart, London area has missed out and central east Dorset up to Wiltshire as well. Edited by Weather-history

Posted

There's a hole over Medway too!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Still 'ere too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

here I am again wooohooohoo :nea: . catch me if you can woohoohoo. :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Big hole on the lightning map over Guildford, Surrey in July too no doubt. Bet a months wages that Guildford will get through July without a single discharge - just like in May when the storms were 'there and everywhere' but here.

These evenings 'performance' is typical - high thundery potential for the weekend downgraded as the usual Atlantic dross makes a come-back when it is least wanted, wasn't supposed to have done so, and is only active enough to reduce convective potential with those pathetic weak fronts. At the last minute - areas just to the east get the 'surprise' and the excitement while Guildford misses out - just like last year.

Why can't annoyances like tonight happen when I am on holiday - and 'best storm for decades' (Saturday 14th June) occur when I am at home and can actually watch and appreciate the action? BTW - the promised CCTV footage of the aforementioned storm which I missed was missing from the HDD. Security guard colleague was most upset he could not help me on this matter! Typically 'convenient' as data was wiped from 1715 Friday 13th to 0832 Saturday 14th June.

I really feel there is a higher force that does not want me to enjoy thunderstorms.

This summer is becoming painful and reverting to the annoying rubbish suffered since 2006 onwards generally (really since 1999 for Guildford) - June 2014 had promise and now it is just fizzling out. In other years when I have missed good events when away on holiday there has ALWAYS been another comparable event during the summer - bet 2014 won't bring any other worthwhile thunder event here. Blew it and it wasn't even my fault that I was on holiday - feel I am being punished.

As for the humid muck - wish it would just produce storms here or roll on autumn and have some nice sunny dry clear N.W.lys with NOBODY getting any storms!!

Posted

Grumble, grumble.