Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How will the Winter of 2012/2013 be remembered?

Posted

Yes a very long winter with snow inches deep in October before the leaves were off.

It has been very difficult for feeding livestock even without the extended length, as the summer really caused havoc with making silage and hay - and concentrate pellets are all far more pricey as a result of reduced grain harvest here and abroad.

Doesn't look like any prospect of growth starting for weeks yet either.

Last year was exceptional but by late March there was ample grass for sheep and some cattle were out (then along came April but that's another story)

Edited by 4wd

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

I found winter by just waiting .. until March .

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Disappointing - although it snowed on a number of days it was mostly the wet variety at Watford.

Roll on spring now with some warm sunny weather - can't wait.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Fantastic winter here, although no extraordinary cold spells, there was lots of smaller ones all throughout the winter keeping me interested! Just the winter I was after after the last 2 which were mainly split into 2 halves. Most snow on the ground at one time was 23cm, the heaviest fall being 13cm in January. Most of the snow fell in frontal boundary's, not so much from convection. Current accumulation for the season stands at 48cm and could be more next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

7/10. We might not have seen amazing falls like Jan 2010 (28cm) & Dec 2010 (18cm) but still saw plenty of snow falling days and some decent snowfall on the 18th & 20st January. Sunday night a few weeks back saw the best snow i have seen in regards to a Rain-Snow event, wet surfaces that then had 4cm on a few hours later smile.png

Longevity of cold weather in recent weeks has been remarkable but during December,a few cold days followed Wet & Mild weather again over Xmas and into January. We never saw many nights of widespread temperatures like Jan/Feb 2012, but in all not a bad winter.

When i look back on this winter in a few years time i will see it as sucessful as i saw the most snowfall for just over 2 years!

Edited by Mark Neal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Maximum depth here was 25 cm on the 26nd of January, after a single fall of around 15 cm the following night. We had snow on the ground for 14 consecutive days, more days than that if you include patchy snow cover. February wasn't as good, but we did manage to get an 8 cm fall on one day with drifting, so certainly cannot complain.

But I think pictures speak louder than words..

iqY4dw6.png

c9c3ae7a0fc746e289e6a92.png

8232ec779f92427698916ba.png

SXIK6rE.png

db73a9297a2240249769e80.png

e9e79b4dd9fe475ab9b2543.png

WFEL3DC.png

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

If we can include March in our impressions then it ranks somewhere between a 7 and an 8 - some exceptional synoptics at points, lots of good but not exceptional snowfall, and with only one (so far) really severe event - that of last Sunday night/Monday when heavy showers of powder snow fell through the evening with temperatures dropping from 0C at 6pm to -5C by 7am the next morning, and maxing out at 1C in central Edinburgh, the coldest there in March since 2001 and the coldest mid March maximum temperature in its 40 year record. That would be the best event for me, although there were numerous bigger snowfalls in Freuchie (and one which was similarly deep in central Edinburgh) these were marked by excessive cloud cover and temperatures generally above 0C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

for me it's been a mix winter so much promis but so little came to fruition. Jan was good with ok snowfall. Febs cold sbell was nothing to sing about because it was cold and gray. Marks 5.5 out of 10.

Posted

Still pretty poor for me, if anything the rating has gone down.

I've only seen 1 proper day of snow the whole winter, and after missing the snowy week here in Jan (as I had predicted last summer since I knew about the trip happening as it always seems to happen to me), virtually all the snow has gone around me. I guess we had a brief wet 2cm in February. But then this place has always seemed boring for weather, more interesting at home in Devon.

Too much cloud and lack of frosts too, although at home due to topography I am more prone to frosts than this place just west of the M25. Although it has often felt like winter in terms of temperature.

The rating would probably be a bit better if I had been in the UK from the 19th-26th Jan, but for me, only 3 or 4 out of 10.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

Its not ended, woke up to about 2 inches of snow and it is still snowing heavily!! So far this winter has been great for snow, this is the 20th day of lying snow, not bad for 120m asl in middle England! Also had lying snow in December, January, February and now March, no idea the last time that happened!

Edited by DR Hosking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Its not ended, woke up to about 2 inches of snow and it is still snowing heavily!! So far this winter has been great for snow, this is the 20th day of lying snow, not bad for 120m asl in middle England! Also had lying snow in December, January, February and now March, no idea the last time that happened!

Yes was going to score 7/10 with two decent cold snaps and lots of snow , probably lack of real low minima didnt score it 8/10. Based on my experience of last 40 winters.

Given its snowing heavily now 3 inches and settled everywhere, guess I better put final evaluation when the 'winter is over'.

Posted

This winter's total as of today of 13 days with snow lying was beaten only once between 1986/7 and 2009/10; in 1995/6 which had 21 days. It was also beaten by 2009/10 (18) and 2010/11 (26).

All these winters have had their "bad" point:

2010/11: no snow at all after Jan 7th. December 2010's 21 snow lying days rivals the snowiest winter seasons.

2009/10: never more than 6cm depth. Everything just seemed to miss this area that season, it was maddening!

1995/96: never more than 4 days in a row with snow cover, despite plenty of ice days, cold nights and 15cm max depth.

2012/13: lack of cold! Despite all the snow, nothing below -5 even despite low maxima, lack of clear nights a real problem.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

From my experience over here in the Central Eastern Alps this has been the coldest since I have been here. The local informs me the best ski-ing season for decades. Since early Novembers we have full snow cover and retention. The cold has been prolonged if not intense. One notible feature is the amount of cloud cover and many ice days. Still the snowfalls and we expect a bumper Easter with winter extending its influence well into the spring this year.

Funny enough, when I returned for visit to West Sussex early last week we a notible snowfall in Worthing . Must follow me!

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

This post is based on my location and not that of the UK

This winter / extended winter (into spring) for me has been a cold one (only a few milder spells early January and late February spring to mind) but it hasn't been a winter of "disruptive" snow (so far) I can only remember one night of heavy snow can't remember the exact date but i know it was a Friday night / Saturday morning and it dumped about 8cm down (think it was in January) other than that its been 2 or 3cm here and there the odd fall of 4cm but other than that the snow fall has been nothing like 2010. Of course higher ground has had significant falls but lower levels have mostly escaped so far

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think "by winter, do we mean Dec/Jan/Feb, or the 2012/13 season as a whole?" is proving to be an increasingly significant question for me- my score for Dec/Jan/Feb remains firmly at 6.5/10, but with those unexpected snowfalls of 26/27 October and the various surprises that March has thrown up so far (e.g. a dramatic day of sunshine and snow showers on the 11th and a max of just 0.9C in spite of the sunshine), the seasonal score would be higher- probably around 7.5 for now, with potential to rise to 8 depending on whether we get any more major events in the next few weeks or so.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Snow in October, cold first half to December, two weeks of lying snow in January with a snowy breakdown, two notable snowfalls in February and so far a cold and snowy March ( Lying snow as i speak in co.durham 0

Posted

I see the neo-Bonacina catalogue has been updated to 2011: I nearly choked when I saw 2009/10 was down as "very snowy"! Sorry but to me it was far less snowy than 1995/6 or 2010/11, and the depths were much less than this winter's. The events it listed for that winter are nearly all in Scotland.

2011/12 must be a "Little"; this winter is a good "Average" so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I see the neo-Bonacina catalogue has been updated to 2011: I nearly choked when I saw 2009/10 was down as "very snowy"! Sorry but to me it was far less snowy than 1995/6 or 2010/11, and the depths were much less than this winter's. The events it listed for that winter are nearly all in Scotland.

There is always going to be local variations though, 2009/10 easily beats 2012/13 for my location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I recall you admitting though that your location largely missed most of the big snow events of the 2009/10 season. That classification is a UK-wide one and is not meant to be representative of an individual location.

Even the winter of 1946/47 wasn't particularly snowy over certain areas of the British Isles such as parts of north-west Scotland.

Posted

I recall you admitting though that your location largely missed most of the big snow events of the 2009/10 season. That classification is a UK-wide one and is not meant to be representative of an individual location.

Even the winter of 1946/47 wasn't particularly snowy over certain areas of the British Isles such as parts of north-west Scotland.

We did miss all of the heavy stuff that winter, but even for the UK it's a strange classification. It was only the period 5-15 Jan where most of the UK was snow covered, not whole months like 47, 63 etc. Dec and Feb had very little lying snow over large areas of the Midlands and south- only Scotland could have been called "very snowy".

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

We did miss all of the heavy stuff that winter, but even for the UK it's a strange classification. It was only the period 5-15 Jan where most of the UK was snow covered, not whole months like 47, 63 etc. Dec and Feb had very little lying snow over large areas of the Midlands and south- only Scotland could have been called "very snowy".

its amazing how varied it is in different parts december 81 was colder and much more snow here than dec 2010.this year parts of the east have had good amounts of snow yet west and the lakes have had little.march 47 gives 1.75 deg average for here prob freezing over the hills!!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The 17th-18th was good for eastern England too I believe but certainly December 2009 was execptionally snowy for Scotland, with no breakdown from the 17th when the snow started falling through to the 15th January and snow falling here on almost every day.

Posted

Dec 09 was a snowy month in many locations, we had 10 inches lying on the morning of 21st. Admittedly the West midlands saw little snow during the month, but for the country as à whole it has to tank as snowy. Overall it was a snowy winter, the most snowy since 95/96 and coldest since 78/79.