Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussions 17th January 2013 onwards

The watcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Majority of the ensembles looking to continue the cold into next week, to Thursday at least.

P17 is particularly nice, with cold and snow for the majority of the run! http://www.meteociel...&mode=1&carte=0

Posted

Eagle what accumulations would the east be looking at

Depends on how far inland from the coast you are i'd imagine. Your area has a bigger risk than mine (I am near Malahide right on the coast) but if we are lucky (or unlucky depending on your perspective!) we could be looking at 2 - 5 cm tomorrow morning but it's so hard to tell because of still slight modelling differences. Hopefully the 18z GFS falls more in line with NAE and ECM (it's gradually getting there) but if the NAE was spot on, in your location for example, 2 - 5 cm fairly comfortably i'd imagine. However ground temperatures might be a little high and thus stubborn to fall. Preferably in a situation like this you would want icey roads for significant accumulation.

Keep in mind hi res NAE/WRF shows snow to low levels in the east from around 3 am. You would be able to tell quickly from then what way the wind is blowing from reports in this part of the world )pardon the pun).

In 24 hrs we have gone from no chance to being well in there with a shout.

Posted

BBC weather @ 6.30 didn't go last tomorrow evening on their graphics and usually they give a full weekend forecast so uncertainty about details I think over the weekend!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Depends on how far inland from the coast you are i'd imagine. Your area has a bigger risk than mine (I am near Malahide right on the coast) but if we are lucky (or unlucky depending on your perspective!) we could be looking at 2 - 5 cm tomorrow morning but it's so hard to tell because of still slight modelling differences. Hopefully the 18z GFS falls more in line with NAE and ECM (it's gradually getting there) but if the NAE was spot on, in your location for example, 2 - 5 cm fairly comfortably i'd imagine. However ground temperatures might be a little high and thus stubborn to fall. Preferably in a situation like this you would want icey roads for significant accumulation.

Keep in mind hi res NAE/WRF shows snow to low levels in the east from around 3 am. You would be able to tell quickly from then what way the wind is blowing from reports in this part of the world )pardon the pun).

THE 18Zgfs HAS PUSHED EVERYTHING WEST LAST 2 RUNS AT LEAST WERE IN THE MIX!

Thanks eagle hopefully the 18z will fall in to line!

Posted

Well the met office warning for snow in Derry is now gone!! What the hell is that all about?? Not happy!!!

Editing this... Our amber warning for Derry has now appeared again! Lol! Very strange!!

Edited by ronan

Posted

temp is currently 6.3c here. are they expected to fall quickly or what? wont be getting any snow at this rate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

wind really picking up here.clouds look very ominous. should be raining soon me thinks.

good luck to all of yee who get some snow. get a;;your stocks and suppliesin for the ready.good.gif

Posted

Well bara best forecast on newsline was as useless as, well I'm not saying it! Don't want to offend him! As much as 25 cms over high ground and SEVERAL cms on low ground!! Hardly warrants an amber warning!! Utv gave 10cms low lying! WTF!

Posted

Doesn't look good for us on the north coast, might stay mostly dry here! Typical if it was rain it would be heaviest here!

Posted

It will vary wildy across Ulster though from nothing on some coastal areas to bucket loads over the hills.

Dont panic.

Anything between -6 and -7 and coastal areas needn't worry about a lack of snow

13011812_1712.gif

Though at times undoubtedly getting marginal on wind ward coasts.

The boundary between cold and (relatively) mild is a very thin line. Steep thermal gradient.

Edited by The Eagle

Posted

Unfortunately most people are low lying or near sea level. I'm at about 80 metres and 10 miles from coast so hope i see more than a few cms out of this! Just strange utv say 10cms low lying and bbc say Several Huge difference there.

Posted

Looks like an interesting few days coming up.

Hard to imagine right now as it really does feel quite balmy down here.

No real trigger either just a gradual cooling from the East

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Yep, just feels like a typical mild and drizzly winters evening in Cork.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Welcome back have you seen ecm gfs for sunday even Cork will see snow

Edited by snowice