Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 17th Januray 2013, 12z Onwards

Brad lough

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

As for PJ party, never worn 'em, so umm yeah

Rain / sleet horrible muck in north devon this morning, so bring on the proper stuff

Had a shock earlier, went to met office site... red warning for Wales

Crickey, Reds are not issued very often

Posted

Nmm has some good totals from the run that's coming out now. 10-20cm widely upto 7.00pm tomorrow.

Difficult to see sorry about that

Looked a bit progressive to me for later in the day and those of us in the west - poss snow to rain for more? Or am i showing signs of pre-match nerves?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Guys this is already a fair event for me , snowing with biggish flakes , and a good centimetre just over , it's mad , the bbc weather has also caught up and now shows snow over England this evening up until about 1am so I have a feeling I could have a good inch or even more , before the event, il try an take pictures but I have no street lights in my village , I'm in a beautifull village and I feel like I'm on a holiday about the be snowed in !!

Posted

It looks ok to me. Nmm tends to under precip so am very surprised at its totals there.

Meto update to heavy snow for me in Dorset on Monday so they are continuing to upgrade Monday run by run

Posted

Guys this is already a fair event for me , snowing with biggish flakes , and a good centimetre just over , it's mad , the bbc weather has also caught up and now shows snow over England this evening up until about 1am so I have a feeling I could have a good inch or even more , before the event, il try an take pictures but I have no street lights in my village , I'm in a beautifull village and I feel like I'm on a holiday about the be snowed in !!

Rub it in why not?! LOL

It looks ok to me. Nmm tends to under precip so am very surprised at its totals there.

Meto update to heavy snow for me in Dorset on Monday so they are continuing to upgrade Monday run by run

Monday? That's strange - doesnt that go against their own chart for Monday?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Hi iceberg, where in Dorset are you?

Cheers

Karl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Right then, a quick broad brush summary based on the NMM 12z projections out to t+24 (Friday 18th January, 12pm)

I am being naughty here, as the following charts are provided under a netweather Full Subscription basis. ph34r.png

I will in each case, pay special attention to precipitation type (pink is forecasted as SNOW) and 850s, complete with slp (sea level pressure) readings during three hourly interludes.

When looking at the 850s over your patch, you should check to see if precipitation is forecast at the timeframe indicated. Should you be in a blue zone, broadly speaking, you can anticipate SNOW to fall, assuming you possess a pink blob. drinks.gif

Firstly looking at the timeframe of Friday 18th January, 12am.

post-7183-0-30080200-1358446305_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-44542800-1358446301_thumb.pn

Now moving on some 3 hours later to Friday 18th January, 3am.

post-7183-0-74387000-1358446304_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-50038000-1358446300_thumb.pn

Now moving on a further 3 hours to Friday 18th January, 6am.

post-7183-0-29192200-1358446304_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-91193600-1358446299_thumb.pn

By the time its rush hour, it should be looking as follows, come Friday 18th January, 9am.

post-7183-0-82268500-1358446303_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-18961600-1358446299_thumb.pn

Finally, come the height of the day, Friday 18th January, 12pm.

post-7183-0-81918600-1358446302_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-41411100-1358446302_thumb.pn

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Looks good for me, I'm in horringford. (Just up from arreton )

The valley there where the station used to be, if the forecast is right you'll be snowed in by 0800.

If its raining here I bet I get to work but cant get back lol

Posted

Looked a bit progressive to me for later in the day and those of us in the west - poss snow to rain for more? Or am i showing signs of pre-match nerves?

Dont panic, Mr Mannering ! acute.gif (o.k. it was Mainwaring)

Its gonna be a big event for sure - for many of us !

Actually I reckon a bit of gospel is in order

"And the lord said ..Let it Snow !!"

"Do you hear me lord ?"

"Lord are you there ?"

"I said.. Let it Snow !"

"Lord - I'll say it louder"

"LET IT SNOW !!"

I feel so much better now blum.gif

John in Gloucester (Quedgeley - low down)

p.s. And the lord responded with at least 3 flurries under lamp post. True. (there is a lord !)

Not bad coming from an agnostic (er... hope I havent offended anybody here......)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Settled now on cars and grass now all covered over, a few pics took a few minutes back..

post-15543-0-70484700-1358447178_thumb.j

post-15543-0-50539400-1358447179_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear Skies

Just east of southampton and north of fareham.. holding a good 3-4C and very very light sleet. Anybody know where I put my gloves?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Wow, nice forecast on the National BBC news :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Light snow falling here but too light to settle sadly. never mind bring out the big guns in the early hours... clapping.gifclapping.gif

Posted

The valley there where the station used to be, if the forecast is right you'll be snowed in by 0800.

If its raining here I bet I get to work but cant get back lol

well I'm in Lymington & it's raining!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Settled now on cars and grass now all covered over, a few pics took a few minutes back..

Just about to say the same thing.. Settling on cars..

Posted

Wow, nice forecast on the National BBC news :-)

That's what I thought! It has settled me a bit, as it showed NO RAIN after the snow!!!!!!!! :D (IMBY perspective :) )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Have you read book " The Blizzard that buried Dorset" Might be able write sequel after this??????????

Posted

Moderate snow between Stokenchurch and Watlington, this is the Chilterns area, 200m+ elevation hence higher precip intensity. Arrived home in Thame and still snowing lighlty currently with a dusting on the ground. Will be a good base for the main course later.

Posted

Okay, thank you smile.png well this is me on google maps...

http://maps.google.c...ved=0CBoQ8gEwAA

I'm about 30m asl, and as you say, quite far inland, but quite far west.

Most likely scenario will be a snow to rain event for you region it seems, as you are quite far west. But then again, you're inland so could just be snow for the whole event!

Either way, good luck!

SM