Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

oh no, models getting interesting again lol.

Still it does go to show that all those who were pretty much writing off the rest of December were talking rubbish to say that because lets face it, the models can flip at any time, I do get the impression that some are very quick to take a mild outlook as gospel yet they're very quick to dismiss a cold outlook.

Definite positive signs today, here's hoping they continue with the 18z later.

only believe it when it starts falling from the sky, save yourself the pain and the prozac

fromey

Posted

Thanks for the ensemble plots gtltw. Looks very much from the Icelandic charts like a positive NAO to set in. I'm not too disheartened by this, however. I liked the anomaly chart posted in the main model thread by Tom W about how the models are struggling especially around the BI at the moment. Not surprising, really, being at the boundary of such opposing pressure and temperature differences.

I'm also happy to see, when I do my own mini minutiae studies, that the models are not all they're cracked up to be even hours within them coming out when juxtaposed against REALITY.

hehe - couple of posts in the model thread about GFS 18z perturbation 17 are worth a look at.

ECM 12z trending towards those ensemble members that TEITs and Matty M highlighted last night. Here we go again!!

ECH1-216.GIF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

only believe it when it starts falling from the sky, save yourself the pain and the prozac

fromey

When it does start to fall from the sky you need to ask your self one thing... how many prozac have you taken!? biggrin.png

Posted

When it does start to fall from the sky you need to ask your self one thing... how many prozac have you taken!? biggrin.png

then its a rapid Detox to be able to enjoy it!!

Just check my temp it actually 0.4c not 1.5c and there something falling, its like a thick drizzle but of ice, the little balls of them bouncing off the car windscreen.

very odd

fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I know Ian F has kind of put the kibosh on this particular scenario, but you never know, I nay have been onto something remotely possible, yesterday evening. A continuing trend it is, but we still need it to firm up for a few more days yet.

http://forum.netweat...20#entry2445505

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

I know Ian F has kind of put the kibosh on this particular scenario, but you never know if I was onto something remotely possible, yesterday evening. A continuing trend, it is but we still need a few days yet.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75230-southwest-central-southern-england-regional-discussion/page__st__420#entry2445505

I think this view is perfectly valid.

We're an island which is influenced by the Atlantic predominately but why shouldnt factors to the East influence now and again.

From my simple take on the situ currently is that the UK is smack bang in the middle of an East meets West scenario in weather terms, that will fluctuate over next few weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I think this view is perfectly valid.

We're an island which is influenced by the Atlantic predominately but why shouldnt factors to the East influence now and again.

From my simple take on the situ currently is that the UK is smack bang in the middle of an East meets West scenario in weather terms, that will fluctuate over next few weeks.

Thank you Bristle boy. Which way it goes, is still firmly up in the air but I suppose, we must remember that the MetO have a lot more armoury at their disposal too.

Posted

And not forgetting this summary was based on yesterday's GFS 12z data.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75230-southwest-central-southern-england-regional-discussion/page__st__420#entry2445564

This was subsequently largely backed up by a few more of today's runs. search.gif

Posted

Some light patchy rain down here in the last hour, not visible on radar, but visible on windscreen!

Of course the night to go seeking the meteorite shower, it's as cloudy as helldiablo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

fromey

Oh I ain't buying into what the models are showing at the moment but my point is valid about some who see a zonal pattern shown right out into the depths of fi and then take it as gospel as a dead cert to happen, compared to the last few days the models have suddenly flipped to show undercutting lp's and you never know, it may happen, but if it doesn't I won't lose any sleep over it, there's plenty of winter left to see some of the white stuff.

Posted

ECM 12z trending towards those ensemble members that TEITs and Matty M highlighted last night. Here we go again!!

Pain killers at the ready,

Alcohol implants at the ready.

Dark sunglasses at the ready

Check

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Oh I ain't buying into what the models are showing at the moment but my point is valid about some who see a zonal pattern shown right out into the depths of fi and then take it as gospel as a dead cert to happen, compared to the last few days the models have suddenly flipped to show undercutting lp's and you never know, it may happen, but if it doesn't I won't lose any sleep over it, there's plenty of winter left to see some of the white stuff.

you absolutely right, and as a bonus you get to keep your sanity, and as you say there's plenty of time left.

fromey

Posted

No I haven't - indeed you need to watch my forecast again from this evening on our Facebook page. I was quite clear in how I viewed any supposed 'done deal' re a zonal right through to Christmas. Granted, I'm going against latest UKMO guidance but it's my forecast - my view.

hey Ian, whats the facebook page called.

cheers fromey

dont worry found it!!!

Edited by fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

No I haven't - indeed you need to watch my forecast again from this evening on our Facebook page. I was quite clear in how I viewed any supposed 'done deal' re a zonal right through to Christmas. Granted, I'm going against latest UKMO guidance but it's my forecast - my view.

Hello Ian.

Will the Met Office be doing an updated analysis of the next 14 days this evening?

If so, would love to hear of any changes that they might mention if you have time? See what they think of the latest runs.

In the meantime however, still on course for a spell of wet & windy weather, the first lot not far off Cornwall now.

Posted

Hello Ian.

Will the Met Office be doing an updated analysis of the next 14 days this evening?

If so, would love to hear of any changes that they might mention if you have time? See what they think of the latest runs.

In the meantime however, still on course for a spell of wet & windy weather, the first lot not far off Cornwall now.

They prepare these twice every day - and I'd imagine wish they didn't have to, because responding to ever 00z / 12z set of output is a mug's game when trying to offer prognoses every 10-15 days ahead. It would be better if prepared every 2-3 days or so. 12z longer MR (6-15d) analysis due with us around midnight.

hey Ian, whats the facebook page called.

cheers fromey

dont worry found it!!!

BBC Points West. Forecast is uploaded every evening.

Posted

I haven't watched your forecasts and I'm not located in your region to get it, assuming you mean the tv stuff. I stick to the views on here and would include yours as one to absolutely follow. Intriguingly, I was referring to your post from earlier, http://forum.netweat...60#entry2446219 where you state in-house MOGREPS (?) data. Having said that, even then you mention the probability of a Northeasterly flow, albeit affecting regions further North.

It is precisely on this (the NE'rly), on which I am resting some hope of a little wintriness come Xmas.

Good stuff and please keep the updates coming.

If you can, please link the facebook page on here, as I'm sure many folk will be interested in that too. good.gif

Posted

I haven't watched your forecasts and I'm not located in your region to get it, assuming you mean the tv stuff. I stick to the views on here and would include yours as one to absolutely follow. Intriguingly, I was referring to your post from earlier, http://forum.netweat...60#entry2446219 where you state in-house MOGREPS (?) data. Having said that, even then you mention the probability of a Northeasterly flow, albeit affecting regions further North. It is on precisely this, on which I am resting some hope of a little wintriness come Xmas.

Good stuff and please keep the updates coming.

If you can, please link the facebook page on here, as I'm sure many folk will be interested in that too. good.gif

We've yet to see how today's MOGREPS output shapes-up but will hear later. Clearly, broad story can't change on one (12z) EC run alone. But runs over next 2-3 days could be instructive.

Posted

We've yet to see how today's MOGREPS output shapes-up but will hear later. Clearly, broad story can't change on one (12z) EC run alone. But runs over next 2-3 days could be instructive.

Indeed, I like to follow the day to day runs and then by analysing them, see if one can achieve some sort of consensus on a trend. good.gif

Please never forget that this place is about sharing all our thoughts and there are many folk with different areas of interest and expertise in here as well.

I do like the way you stick your neck out at times against what the powerful MetO guidance might be suggesting at t+48, T+144 or whatever. Nothing is set in stone in this game and it is just that, which keeps all the netweather members flocking back to these forums each and every model run. search.gif

Keep the posts coming. smiliz19.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Where can I find this forecast Ian?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Cheers mate.

Just watched that and thought, wow what a professional forecast.

How come you guys get Ian and we get a couple of absolute amateurs? :(

Posted

Cheers mate.

Just watched that and thought, wow what a professional forecast.

How come you guys get Ian and we get a couple of absolute amateurs? :(

Because the south west is where it's at!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Because we are very lucky :) if I could do a sticky out tongue emoticon on my phone I would! Lol!

Edited by khodds