Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible Ball Lightning Cumbria

suffolkboy_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Can't seem to find this reported anywhere so thought I would share and see if anyone else experienced it.

Last night my Dad and some friends were driving up to Cumbria for a long weekend away.

At about 10.30pm near Grizedale Forest they hit torrential rain, and then about a minute later witnessed the "brightest lightning I'd ever seen" which "lit the whole area like daylight".

Around a second later they experienced a tremendous boom which was enough to shake my Dad's 2 tonne Mitsubushi L200.

In discussion today with locals around Grizedale (around 3 miles from where they witnessed it), many people apparently witnessed the flash and the very loud boom. A couple said they witnessed a ball of light shoot across the sky.

Did anyone else witness this or has anyone else heard about it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

i heard a very loud boom and flash about 5.30pm

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ALL WEATHER, NOT THE PETTY POLITICS OF MODS IN THIS SITE

Ball lightning is quiet though! well, at least the one I saw was and it lasts longer than a split second. mine was about four or five seconds.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Ball lightning is quiet though! well, at least the one I saw was and it lasts longer than a split second. mine was about four or five seconds.

what is ball lightening,is that a fireball,have googled it and it's debatable wether it exists or not.about 3 years ago i was haymaking on a lovely summers day.it was dark about 1.00 am when i witnessed a ball of fire flash across the sky very close probably less than a mile away looking like it was heading for the ground have never witnessed anything like it but i couldn't hear anything as i was stood next to a running tractor but it was definately a flame like ball!!!!!!!!!!!