Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heavy Rain, Flooding, High Winds - 21st November onward

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

It's worth remembering that even if your local river or stream levels are falling, or at least aren't rising yet, it takes time, often hours and hours before the groundwater gets into river systems - high tides, debris in the watercourse can also be a factor. Best to keep track of the Environment Agency flood warnings just to be on the safe side.

http://www.environme...oods/31618.aspx

As of 20 minutes ago, there was one severe flood warning, 80 flood warnings and 200 flood alerts in place across England and Wales. High Tide in the SW, SE and East Anglia is between 1-3am, and although the tides aren't especially high, the strength of the on-shore wind (in the SE in particular, depending on where you are) might mean there are some issues with tidal locking of watercourses. I suspect it's going to be a long old night.

*EDIT*

Two severe flood warnings now, The River Pol in Polperro and the River Cader in Helston.

Edited by Just Before Dawn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Hard to believe that we are possibly within 3 to 4 hours of potentially damaging gusts of wind, I do hope this is the calm before the storm whilst of course wishing that everyone stays safe! I do hope this dosn't just fizzle out into a damp squib like that so called storm that was supposed to arrive sometime last year but ended up missing us to the south and the strongest winds stayed over France!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Gusting 30mph now here in North-Herts, stay safe everyone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

No doubt most of the news reports will be about the flooding tomorrow, can't see these gales making much headlines!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

A sferic off the southwest coast of Wales.

Some heavy rain just to my south on the radar and loads of it across the SW. I take it this system is moving SW to NE and so I can expect a bit of a deluge tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

not looking good for us down in the SW....PPN is really wrapping around the LP centre and said mass is starting to push NEwards back into Somerset/Gloucester/Wilts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

No doubt most of the news reports will be about the flooding tomorrow, can't see these gales making much headlines!

With good reason, severe and unprecedented flooding is likely to occur in a number of catchment areas. I just hope that everybody likely to be affected has listened to the authorities and taking all of the necessary precautions.

More & more flood warnings coming in and there are currently 2 severe flood warnings in force - http://www.shoothill.com/FloodMap/

Posted

Wind has strengthened markedly in the past hour or so. Very wild out. Weather station says 58 degrees C at the mo - I think it's having a mid-life crisis.

Posted

Three severe flood warnings and 50 flood warnings in the SW at present. With high tide to come, that number is going to rise.

Posted

A few radar grabs from the V6 premium showing the current rainfall with temp overlay and the current air pressure. Frost setting in over the highlands away from all the action.

post-9615-0-24853800-1353798810_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-70935900-1353798826_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Rain really picked up here in past hour. Lane is completely flooded and water starting to gush off fields.

"The flooding situation in Polperro is now significant and serious. River levels are rising and expected to continue to flood, causing significant flooding. This flooding is happening now so please take appropriate action by moving higher up and not taking any risks."

"River Cober At Helston including St Johns Road, St Johns Close, Coronation Park and Loe Pool:

River levels are rising and expected to flood out into the lower areas of the town causing significant hazard. This flooding is imminent take the appropriate action now."

Doesn't sound good, more severe flood warnings to come I expect.

(from Environment Agency)

Posted

The area of moors inland from Plymouth has now seen ove 120mm of rain for the 24 hrs period. I wouldn't fancy a road trip to Plymouth tonight on the A38 and it's still torrential

Posted

A few radar grabs from the V6 premium showing the current rainfall with temp overlay and the current air pressure. Frost setting in over the highlands away from all the action.

post-9615-0-24853800-1353798810_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-70935900-1353798826_thumb.pn

Is the centre of the low moving northeast?

Posted

Is the centre of the low moving northeast?

Yes, the depression is moving in a NE'ly direction more or more less and the centre will pass close to Norfolk during tomorrow morning.

This chart shows the current postition of the low centre and the expected track.

post-9615-0-03427800-1353799910_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted

It's quite concerning how rapidly the situation in the SW is worsening - the number of flood warnings is increasing every 15 minutes - there were 50 at 11pm, when it last updated at 23:25, there were 60.

Posted

What is most worrying is all the water that has still got to make its way into the river/stream systems.

Local news yesterday had a feature about emergency water/sewage release onto beaches to help ease drainage near populated areas.

Yuck.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

3 hours ago my local weather station was recording 9.2mm for the whole of Saturday up to that point. Its now risen to 22.7mm since then and by the looks of intensifying rain to the SW of Bristol...its going to continue rising fairly rapidly until its forecast to move on by approx 0200-0300hrs.

I don't think the country lanes surrounding here will be passable in the morning!

Edited by Chris K