Welcome To The Netweather Forum!

Sign In or Register for full access to the community - including the regional forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Stansted Airport drop off charges

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Habsish

Habsish
  • Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 19:31

Instead of being able to drive up to the main entrance to drop passengers off there is now a charge. A most stupid descision.

http://www.stansteda..._facilities.pdf

The original arrangements were fast, economic and straight forward.

There are plenty of reasons not to fly and this just adds to them.

#2 cheeky_monkey

cheeky_monkey
  • Members
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 19:37

Instead of being able to drive up to the main entrance to drop passengers off there is now a charge. A most stupid descision.

http://www.stansteda..._facilities.pdf

The original arrangements were fast, economic and straight forward.

There are plenty of reasons not to fly and this just adds to them.

Surely if your dropping of passengers then you are not flying anyway?
AIM HIGH YOU CAN REACH THE SKY...AIM LOW YOU HAVE NO WHERE ELSE TO GO

#3 pitwood

pitwood
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 20:17

Surely if your dropping of passengers then you are not flying anyway?

Not the point. It is just an additional cost of flying. If I am flying and was being dropped off someone has to pay and I would expect it to be me. What was straight forward and simple is no longer so.

H

#4 Dorsetbred

Dorsetbred
  • Members
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 21:08

Ha, welcome to the new world of flying!
The same debate has being going on in Bournemouth for ages, as they charge £2:50 to drop off, and then £2:50 pick up charge. The uproar has been continual, and guess what the numbers are falling at the airport (unlikely in Stansted however), as the airlines pull out until next March, due to the drop in footfall.
Wake up people, you can only screw people for so long, before they vote with their feet, and POCKET

Cheers
"Dorsetbred"

#5 mike Meehan

mike Meehan
  • Members
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 22:49

Last May I went via Luton Airport - to enter the drop off zone, it was necessary to obtain a ticket and if you were out again without 10 minutes, that ticket would get you out with a minimal charge of £1, obviously longer there would be a greater charge. This could apply to pick up as will if the passengers liaised with their driver.

Then when it comes to wanting a trolley you have to put a pound in a machine to get one. However Michael O' Reilly is educating us to travelling with less luggage, so trollies aren't so essential any more 'cos we all have little cases with wheels on. Posted Image

The problem is that with all the airports charging, it's a bit difficult to vote with your feet, or wheels in this case and even if you do find such an airport you could soon swallow up the saving on free parking with the extra fuel costs. Posted Image

I'm afraid it is a sad indictment on 'Rip Off Britain' - the only way we can get round it would be to stop travelling or live in a different country which would be impractical for a lot of people.

Edited by mike Meehan, 06 November 2012 - 22:58 .

I was standing by a lamp post at the corner of the street,
in case a little snow flake passes by,
oh me, oh my,
in case a little snow flake passes by

#6 Coast

Coast

Rider on the storm

• Members
  • 33,294 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:42

I always take a private jet from a convenient airfield with valet parking....

Posted Image

SAAB Convertible

Posted Image

Now, you listen here:'e's not the Messiah,'e's a very naughty boy!
Views & opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own - but the voices made me do it

#7 cheeky_monkey

cheeky_monkey
  • Members
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 15:28

Not the point. It is just an additional cost of flying. If I am flying and was being dropped off someone has to pay and I would expect it to be me. What was straight forward and simple is no longer so.

H

Get a taxi or a bus bet it cost a lot more or take your own car and park up for a day, week etc in the short/long stay car park for loads of money. So if you got to pay a couple squid then you wont bother flying anymore..or?

Edited by cheeky_monkey, 07 November 2012 - 15:28 .

AIM HIGH YOU CAN REACH THE SKY...AIM LOW YOU HAVE NO WHERE ELSE TO GO

#8 frogesque

frogesque
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 16:22

Fortunately we have a simple solution. Leave the car at the Inverkeithing Park and Ride (Free for up to 1 week or arrange for smeone to pick it up if away longer)) then get the Edinburgh Airport bus using our wrinklys' bus passes for free!

May the sand in your toes remind you of sunny days.

"Nac Mac Feegle! The Wee Free Men! Nae king! Nae quin! Nae laird! Nae Master! We willna be fooled again!"

-- (Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men)

#9 pitwood

pitwood
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 17:51

Fortunately we have a simple solution. Leave the car at the Inverkeithing Park and Ride (Free for up to 1 week or arrange for smeone to pick it up if away longer)) then get the Edinburgh Airport bus using our wrinklys' bus passes for free!

Brilliant!

One small problem is that I live and Stansted is in Essex.

#10 fUnKy

fUnKy
  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:37

I always take a private jet from a convenient airfield with valet parking....

Posted Image

Do you use the groupon vouchers? Some cracking deals on private planes.
Twitter: @funkydunk

#11 Joe

Joe
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 22:54

Petition on HM Gov website:

http://epetitions.di...petitions/41499