Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk General Convective Discussion & Forecasts, 10th October 2012>

Jane Louise

Posted

Latest NW free radar shows the stuff moving East, but I can't seen any supercells?

post-6667-0-09633500-1350485250_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

I was watching the one further south (of the two cells over Yorkshire on your radar screenshot) which is the one that started here - it just looked to be growing into something significant on the satellite image but now looks more like a very active 'normal' cell rather than a supercell, though it is still going strongly over Yorkshire (as is the one to the north).

Some big old Cb's still passing here too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

An unexpected minor thunderstorm at Sandhutton (N Yorks)- had four rumbles of thunder so far, and seen fork lightning out to the west- caught me rather by surprise!

Edit: thunder every minute or so now.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Very rapid development over Dorset and Wiltshire this afternoon too, cells firing just on the South Coast and racing NNE while still developing

providing downpours and squally wind gusts in Warminster in the last half hour.

Posted

Got very dark here on Teesside about half an hour ago and then we had a decent hail shower along with thunder. Still thundering now but no more hail.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Proper rotating scud in the rear inflow of that cell just gone over reading :D that was unexpected, might have to take a trip outside if that other stuff holds together!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

Just seen some rotation on a cell that just passed through Reading.Sky is still very threatning hopefully the cells to our south may give us a light show :D

Posted

Just seen some rotation on a cell that just passed through Reading.Sky is still very threatning hopefully the cells to our south may give us a light show biggrin.png

Hopefully we have some video of that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

If by We you mean me then no! battery was flat on the camera :( on charge now. I hope you got some, i didnt have the best view from here but it was very apparent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

Sweeet!! I got a small amount but was on my phone and i dont think the quality is very good

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Certainly some suspect radar signatures coming from that cell on recent imagery- the precip being "fanned out" ahead of the heavy core and counter-clockwise curvature on the SW flank of the storm. Conditions more than favourable for rotating updrafts today given relatively light S'erly sfc winds and strong SW jet winds aloft.

Was meaning to produce a post about the potential but Supacell highlighted it first yesterday. Good call. biggrin.png

Well thank you. It's nice to get it right on occasion smile.png

However, I wished I had listened to my own advice now and taken the day off to head up north into that Yorkshire cell. Having said that those lightning strikes around CS England nearing Reading area? Question is, can these last into the night as that whole mass of showers and storms is moving NE towards the East Midlands (within driving distance for me to do a chase).

If its feeding off the shear and helicity there is then it bodes fairly well I think. Hmmm, October night time storms though - that's out my knowledge zone...do they happen??? :D

Edited by Supacell

Posted

Wasn't expecting anything to happen today, but about half hour ago we suddenly had a torrential downpour with a flash of lightning. Seem to end within a couple of minutes though; managed to knock out the Sky box!

Location is nr LTN airport.

Posted

I am amazed at the lack of posts in here!

A real rash of thundery showers have been developing and moving inland from the South coast from mid pm onwards and will

continue to do so for some time yet.

Lightning has been detected in Hampshire, Dorset, S.Wiltshire, Somerset and Devon with some intense downpours moving quickly

NNE. I'm not quite sure why these have formed so readily today? And can't help but wonder how severe they may have been between

May-early September!?

Since the downpour here around 16.30 it has been dry with downpours missing to the E and W, however there are some on track to

reach here in an hour or so.

Edit : ah Tornadoman, great to hear from you!

Edited by Andy Bown

Posted

Well by the look of the radar, there's a cell approaching swindon which will hit around 8:30. I'm going to be out picking up my missus at that time so I'll report back with any interesting developments!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Very fast moving showers driven by the strong southerly wind today, in spite of the angry looking clouds and Cb's passing nearby, the speed of travel meant that none of the showers lasted above 5 to 10 minutes, so no large rain totals today. Just had a solitary but brilliant flash to the east at 1955, the low rumble of thunder coming some 30 seconds later, so 6 miles away, as confirmed by the netweather radar. Tracked the cell which formed over the Gower 1900, so travelled 40 miles in one hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Does anyone know if these storms will survive as they push north into the Midlands?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Saw a great large rotating cell this morning, well I say rotating,it looked like cloud racing across a storm front moving from left to right and curving in front of me in a large ark. Hope that makes sense, hopefully pic attached, poor quality as taken on my phone. Location, Princes parade on hythe seafront.

post-6273-0-86667300-1350502738_thumb.jppost-6273-0-86667300-1350502738_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Interesting watching the radar looks like some unexpected showers developing as the evening goes on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Torrential downpour here at the moment. Unexpected I must say. Radar seems to have burst into life tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Torrential downpour here at the moment. Unexpected I must say. Radar seems to have burst into life tonight.

Same here, looks like a line of showers from Shrewsbury south

Posted

Oh YES!

What a cell it was fantastic.

Traditional light rain, became heavier, and then the thunder kicked in & all HELL broke loose.

Still lightning now, but the interesting thing was watching the trees as the rush of air being pushed towards us by the rainfall suddenly arrived.

The trees started to bend, dustbins falling all over the place, car alarms going off, and the rain hit, my god it was torrential for about 4minutes.

Absolutely fabulous cell.