Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2012/2013

chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

What a load of rubbish. If this warming does occur, its fairly early in the season. Sorry to be to the point.

Agreed, the modelling of the strat has been pretty consistent and accurate so far with the timing not really changing at all since we started to see it coming on the horizon. Not to mention that the MJO phase isn't stuck for weeks at a time and is likely to move to a more favorable phase at some point in the next 4 weeks.

Posted

I think he is using reverse physcology Posted Image

To be fair some of the MJO forecasts aren't exactly favourable, take the ECM for example plumping for a higher amplitude phase 3/4 as we enter Jan.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Although if one takes a look at models they will note there's not only variability, but also most, as BA notes, keep fairly low amplitude.

http://raleighwx.ame...nuaryPhase4.gif

Although this is the strat not the MJO thread. Also i fail to see where this event is being pushed back, as evidenced by my post on the previous page!

Edited by Mark Bayley
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

Recretos - superb post there.

So maybe we can give this some credability. Last few GFS runs have really ramped up 1 hPa values at the end of the run. 12z for reference:

post-2478-0-57727400-1356290410_thumb.jp

Translated to the Berlin site, that would be close to going off the scale.

10 hPa warming is showing up around 7th/8th. Most effective downwellers showed a characteristic warming at the top layer of the stratosphere.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

How many cans of beer did that one take you Recretos?!!!!!

The main thing that I have noticed in the FI strat forecasts is that the warmings do tend to get watered down somewhat as they come into a more reliable timeframe and resolution - but also the exact positioning of the upper vortex is hard to model that far out. So we will se a trend of displacement followed by splitting for a few runs - then this will reverse back whilst the warming is maintained more or less.

At this point I am just sitting back and watching the stratosphere because at some point when the distorted vortex reaches the higher resolution we will be able to see what tropospheric affects that this may have.

• Like 9

Posted

The main thing that I have noticed in the FI strat forecasts is that the warmings do tend to get watered down somewhat as they come into a more reliable timeframe and resolution

i has noticed that ed but wondered if the stronger warming would be better maintained. mark made a post on the previous page showing the intensity of a strong warming being the same T348 down to T192.

Posted

i has noticed that ed but wondered if the stronger warming would be better maintained. mark made a post on the previous page showing the intensity of a strong warming being the same T348 down to T192.

It's definitely watered down ba. That is why I posted so many charts. One forecast suggested 10 hPa temps for the 29th of over 9ºC - no where near that in reality.

I think though there is a trend for a wave 2 split following a wave 1 displacement. I also (slightly) share your concern regarding the residual vortex positioning (remember the stage will be set but will the actors perform?). I think though that it is too early to be overly concerned by this yet though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Temperature at the 30hpa level on the rise again.

post-12721-0-13272300-1356293988_thumb.j

Posted

It's definitely watered down ba. That is why I posted so many charts. One forecast suggested 10 hPa temps for the 29th of over 9ºC - no where near that in reality.

I think though there is a trend for a wave 2 split following a wave 1 displacement. I also (slightly) share your concern regarding the residual vortex positioning (remember the stage will be set but will the actors perform?). I think though that it is too early to be overly concerned by this yet though.

Yes there has been some variability in intensity during the forecast period so far, although im going to keep saving charts for 31st to see how it changes. So far for those ones i've been keeping there seems to be some reasonable consistency.

For those interested you can view past models runs here

http://www.meteociel...ech=204&carte=1

Edited by Mark Bayley
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes there has been some variability in intensity during the forecast period so far, although im going to keep saving charts for 31st to see how it changes. So far for those ones i've been keeping there seems to be some reasonable consistency.

The 12Z probably wouldn't give a technical SSW and the vortex would reposition back over the pole if the run was to continue. In fact, I dont think that I have seen a run (haven't looked at them all) that has suggested a technical SSW yet - so I am still very cautious that we are dealing with long range forecasts. Yes, we are pretty guaranteed to see a warming, but we are no way guaranteed to see complete vortex disruption.
  • Like 2

Posted

you can see past 7 days runs on 'instantweathermaps.com' to make comparisons at all levels.

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks to Recretos and all the other contributors in this excellent thread, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

The concern is that allowing for the time lag of the various factors, the +ve NAO/AO set-up that we are seeing on the NWP will be strongly established, so whilst we could see a change in pattern it may not be enough to result in a reversal of pressure patterns.

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks to Recretos and all the other contributors in this excellent thread, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

The concern is that allowing for the time lag of the various factors, the +ve NAO/AO set-up that we are seeing on the NWP will be strongly established, so whilst we could see a change in pattern it may not be enough to result in a reversal of pressure patterns.

Over the whole NH, I think that we will see considerably different pressure patterns - even without a technical SSW.

The difficulty, Ian, is whether or not the change of pattern will benefit our small island. Currently we have seen a few runs suggesting a displaced vortex that splits down to the troposphere. I don't think that the initial split that is forecast presently to be favourable - but with any split we do not know where the stronger vortex remnants will be positioned after that.

We know from previous work such as Cohens, that Greenland will be a favourable area for blocking if we do see a SSW.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Quick question, to help with my knowledge.

What we are seeing now is not a SSW (Sudden Stratospheric Warming) which won't show up on the models, but a possible Major Warming event?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Quick question, to help with my knowledge.

What we are seeing now is not a SSW (Sudden Stratospheric Warming) which won't show up on the models, but a possible Major Warming event?

We are not currently seeing a SSW and is forecasted to happen on the 2nd week of January (not certain and if this warming occurs it should be seen on the models) and yes we are seeing a major warming event now/happening. Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

excelent posts over the last cuppal of days recretos.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

I think we all need to order in some Slovenian Beers ! More fantastic work Recretos. Nothing as technical from me am afraid just a couple of charts from JMA and NOAA..

First EP Flux looking a little more favourable recently and indicative of a poleward shift.

post-7292-0-49281000-1356326058_thumb.gi post-7292-0-01214600-1356326071_thumb.gi

A better looking height chart at 100mb, clear ridge in play this at 240 hours.

post-7292-0-16569900-1356326119_thumb.gi

And, of course the temperature charts which are in themselves a thing of beauty..

post-7292-0-84605800-1356326207_thumb.gipost-7292-0-09543000-1356326217_thumb.gipost-7292-0-14712300-1356326227_thumb.gipost-7292-0-33962400-1356326238_thumb.gi

Within this am wondering if there is a second wave of top down warming following the first beginning at the top of the strat, another pulse of warming visible south of the US on the 1 hpa run working it's way round.

Have not reviewed these specifically for a few days but the largest sections of the atmosphere now being suitably carved up by the warming.

post-7292-0-66883300-1356326263_thumb.gipost-7292-0-63535100-1356326273_thumb.gipost-7292-0-08239500-1356326286_thumb.gi

Leads me to wonder whether this is displace then split, looking more likely for a split also now.

In terms of where the chips fall after the warming event in terms of blocks, yes there is some luck involved and no one in this thread has said, look it is guaranteed easterly, guaranteed Northerly, guaranteed increased chances - yes. Looking at previous displace warmings of which there is a small dataset couple of things in Nino years.

1 Lowering of Pacific heights. 2 Increase in greenland heights. 3 2/3 main troughs of cold in NH.

Might have to go looking through split events also now to see what signature if any they created.. Am thinking that +ve NAO outlook on NWP is a definite red herring, it looks like a stayer but come Boxing Day FI will leave us wondering what we were actually seeing..

• Like 6

Posted

i think it might be better to forget the warming i really think its to late in the season.

i also feel this warming is not coming any closer and as has been noted the mjo is against us i think winter 12/13 needs to be forgotten as a so close but no cigar.

Do you by any chance live near or under a bridge. Why would you want to try and damage this discussion the same way that others here have been?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

I am not very good with the strat etc...but is that goodbye Mr Vortex if you run the sequence on meteociel?

http://modeles.meteo...nh-10-264.png?0

http://www.meteociel...mode=10&carte=1

Posted

very strong wave 1 coming into the top of the strat early jan whilst the activity centred around 15hpa continues throughout the upcoming 10 days.

Also some wave 2 continues to be progged and although not particularly strong, it may well be enough to split what will be left of a weaker vortex (as latter ncep output shows)

whilst the initial warming may not resut in a technical SSW, this new warming coming into the top of the strat may well cause that to happen by mid jan.

• Like 1

Posted

very strong wave 1 coming into the top of the strat early jan whilst the activity centred around 15hpa continues throughout the upcoming 10 days.

Also some wave 2 continues to be progged and although not particularly strong, it may well be enough to split what will be left of a weaker vortex (as latter ncep output shows)

whilst the initial warming may not resut in a technical SSW, this new warming coming into the top of the strat may well cause that to happen by mid jan.

Im a complete novice when it comes to the strat, what is the significance of wave 1 and wave 2? Many thanks GSL

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

@GSL Both waves have their own characteristics on how they affect the Vortex.

Wave 1 - displacement Polar Vortex

Wave 2 - split Polar Vortex

Although if a warming continues apace then there may be little left to displace or split. Vortex = shredded.

Or we could achieve the outcome no one wants . Vortex = all but shredded - with just the tiniest fragment of Vortex parked above the UK stopping blocks. This kind of sums up the lottery and why we are sitting back and watching things unfold.

I think the fact that we are even examining the outcomes of the fallout and what is predicted tropospherically shows how much this thread has moved along this winter.

• Like 6