Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

where i cant see biggrin.png

Sorry, i meant my own one lol

Regular beeps at 12 to 24 miles, and a couple at 6 to 12 miles. :D

Not heard any thunder yet though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Well there may not be any sheet lightning over Birmingham city centre this afternoon.....however there certainly will be some sheet music.....

Keen of eye may be able to spot a farcical event happening in the skies above

Four military helicopters will be used to help stage a version of Mittwoch aus Licht by Karlheinz Stockhausen, produced by Birmingham Opera Company

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-17343181

fool.gif

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted

where i cant see biggrin.png

Channel Islands and heading this way - about where the earlier SatRep interpretation had the occluded front!

post-6667-0-34551000-1345816473_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Really is looking good for my area tomorrow!

post-12721-0-90712600-1345814893_thumb.gpost-12721-0-77328900-1345814910_thumb.p

Looking forward to it! clapping.gifclapping.gif

Tomorrow is looking good, hoping for some lively storms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Why do people say rain is turning thundery when they just mean with big drops like you would see in a thunderstorm. Rain isn't thundery unless it has sferics with in it. Shorely convective rain would be a better description?

Posted

Why do people say rain is turning thundery when they just mean with big drops like you would see in a thunderstorm. Rain isn't thundery unless it has sferics with in it. Shorely convective rain would be a better description?

Because the rain that was falling had the same characteristics as rain that falls during a thunderstorm.

Thundery rain to me doesn't have to mean there's thunder, there could be a rumble or two mixed in, but the meaning of it is not indicative towards thunder, it's the rain in question.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I have the option of chasing tomorrow but with two children aged 8 and 5 years. They too haven't passed their driving tests... bloody kids nowadays, they don't know they've been born :D

Although I may have to be willing to make a bit of a trek to see anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I have the option of chasing tomorrow but with two children aged 8 and 5 years. They too haven't passed their driving tests... bloody kids nowadays, they don't know they've been born :D

Although I may have to be willing to make a bit of a trek to see anything.

No point looking at any data, save you the bother just head to Lincolnshire mate! Lo!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Sat24 is looking good over south into mid Wales.

Everywhere apart from here (RG14) is looking good if I'm honest, okay a slight exaggeration. cray.gif Nevertheless, tis every days and things do seem to pepping along the CF. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I understand what you are saying about thundery rain, but I still feel it is not the correct expression unless the rain contains electrical activity. It's like saying large flakes of snow is thunder snow even though there is no lightning in it.

Posted

Lots of activity around South Wales now - seems to be a line of heavier thundery acitivity organising itself over South West England too and heading this way!

Posted

I understand what you are saying about thundery rain, but I still feel it is not the correct expression unless the rain contains electrical activity. It's like saying large flakes of snow is thunder snow even though there is no lightning in it.

Well i'm not going to argue about it, but after Googling it, it turns out i was correct.

As i said, it's not referring to thunder at all, it's referring to rain.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Can we leave there please and get back to the general convection discussion. good.gif

Well i'm not going to argue about it, but after Googling it, it turns out i was correct.

Now some convective discussion please. good.gif

Posted

No worries! :)

My lightning detector has gone off quite a bit this afternoon, it's quietened now though.

The radar has been interesting today, within each 5 minute update, it's intensified and then weakened and then intensified again quite a lot.

Posted

UK selected warning

Rain

Issued at: 1453 on Fri 24 Aug 2012

Valid from: 1700 on Fri 24 Aug 2012

Valid to: 2200 on Fri 24 Aug 2012

Rain spreading across the region this afternoon and evening will be heavy and perhaps thundery in places.

The public should be aware of a low risk of localised flooding due to surface water runoff and potential for minor disruption to travel.

post-6667-0-59734900-1345821474.png

Tomorrow:

Rain

Issued at: 1133 on Fri 24 Aug 2012

Valid from: 0005 on Sat 25 Aug 2012

Valid to: 2355 on Sat 25 Aug 2012

Spells of heavy rain and thundery showers have the potential to cause disruption during Saturday. The public should be aware of the risk of localised surface water flooding, with strong to gale force winds an additional hazard for southern counties.

post-6667-0-50616400-1345821589.png

http://www.metoffice...ather/warnings/

post-6667-0-59734900-1345821474_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-50616400-1345821589_thumb.pn

Posted

Fun tomorrow in the SE!

hir_cape_eur33.png

hir_icape_eur33.png

hir_layer_eur33.png

hir_prec_eur33.png

Another day with a potential tornado threat too:

hir_stp_eur33.png

But here's some symbols we like!

30_20.gif

Posted

Well what a day! Had some beefy rain this morning, 18.2mm in total today so far. Seen some sferics on just off the north cornwall coast - these have died down now, but seems to be a lot going on across the water - as always!. 790 strikes recorded today - not as high as i was expecting....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Those storms over the Channel Islands are really kicking into life with loads of sferics. The southeast could be in for some fun and games if that continues on the same path and does not lose intensity.

Some sferics over Mid Wales. They could hit NW England and just tease me, but will likely miss to my west :(

Posted

Dry and overcast here ATM, looking forward to something tomorrow. Sorry for going off topic earlier, I guess I was wrong. It's not like I'm a professional anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Had a distant rumble of thunder a while ago and then some heavy rain, but thats all we got today! I hope tomorrow will be better!

Edit: Just had another short but deep rumble, although I don't know where it came from... actually just had another rumble and noticed its coming from a storm to the south thats going to go to the west of me by the look of it!

Edited by DeepSnow

Posted

Had a distant rumble of thunder a while ago and then some heavy rain, but thats all we got today! I hope tomorrow will be better!

Edit: Just had another short but deep rumble, although I don't know where it came from... actually just had another rumble and noticed its coming from a storm to the south thats going to go to the west of me by the look of it!

i think it's coming straight at ya - are the rumbles getting louder?