Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 16th August 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Torrential shower, also had one last night. So much for the 'few light showers' I went for in my weekly guide!

Posted

Just had our first very heavy shower go through here , torrential rain with some hail thrown in , no thunder or lightning though. sad.png

Now its cleared away and the sun is trying to come back out , those showers over Ireland just now look tasty.

Edit: Looks like that shower has pepped up big time , possible storm headed towards Livingston.

Edited by todd1970

Posted

Just had our first very heavy shower go through here , torrential rain with some hail thrown in , no thunder or lightning though. sad.png

Now its cleared away and the sun is trying to come back out , those showers over Ireland just now look tasty.

Edit: Looks like that shower has pepped up big time , possible storm headed towards Livingston.

Under that shower now and not that heavy here infact blue sky appearing now

Posted

Big blobs of rain falling here. Showers developing nicely! Scuppering my gardening though!

Edited by Darren Bown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

Just had a rumble of thunder and skys look threatening but TBH I think anything half decent is sliding off to my SE. Stuff over N Ireland looks good.

Posted

I'm hoping today and possibly over the next hour, could be what I've been waiting for, ie. some lightning :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Just had a rumble of thunder and skys look threatening but TBH I think anything half decent is sliding off to my SE. Stuff over N Ireland looks good.

Doesn't it ever, some pretty good action over there and Eastern parts of Ireland too, within the last couple of hours, many a sferic.

Posted

Not really been an active a day as I expected here so far. Still got the afternoon to come though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Doesn't it ever, some pretty good action over there and Eastern parts of Ireland too, within the last couple of hours, many a sferic.

I'm hoping today and possibly over the next hour, could be what I've been waiting for, ie. some lightning smile.png

In fact, if things hold it together over the Irish Sea from the Eastern parts of Northern Ireland and the Republic, you could be in a good position. It seems to me that things are pepping up in quite a few places, more especially out West. All in line with Nick F's earlier forecast, it must be said.

Edit: parts of Scotland getting some action as well.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Quite interesting/impressive radar in some places particularly Northern Ireland from those thunderstorms. I notice N.I. seems to be able to develop thunderstorms more easily than parts of the UK and my region in this set up.. as I have noticed decent storms there from these 'thundery shower' set up's off the Atlantic several times.

Posted

In fact, if things hold it together over the Irish Sea from the Eastern parts of Northern Ireland and the Republic, you could be in a good position. It seems to me that things are pepping up in quite a few places, more especially out West. All in line with Nick F's earlier forecast, it must be said.

Excellent. My currently location is BL5 need to update it when I finally move!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I wonder if Derby is in with a chance as this is where I am. Tbh I think the best conditions will be further north with the NW looking especially prone. Never know though, stranger things have happened.

Northern Ireland getting one or two sferics right now :D

Posted

A very convective day, from innocuous looking charts. Third torrential shower recently, 17mm for the day so far.

Fine line of Cb's along the coast. No sferics around though.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Interesting 12z radiosonde ascent at Castor Bay - N Ireland, winds backed SE'erly towards the surface from the general SW'erly flow further up. Would suggest enhanced tornado potential with that line of storms stretching down to E Ireland:

post-1052-0-64791800-1345555163_thumb.gi

Also see the backed winds on recent wind obs: http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Posted

Interesting 12z radiosonde ascent at Castor Bay - N Ireland, winds backed SE'erly towards the surface from the general SW'erly flow further up. Would suggest enhanced tornado potential with that line of storms stretching down to E Ireland:

post-1052-0-64791800-1345555163_thumb.gi

Also see the backed winds on recent wind obs: http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

The backing of winds has been very important in several cases recently, it seems. good.gif Most places that didn't get backing winds or certain other local effects appeared to miss the showers/storms. As an aside, one day, I'll get around to reading those links that JH posted and hopefully understand the radiosonde readings and Coast's daily analysis too.

Recent sferics showing up Southwest of Crewe and also East of Liverpool.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Quite a line of cells moving NEwards out of Exmoor at the moment, seemed to pop up out of nowhere but with some hefty radar returns. I wonder if these turn electrical at all.

Posted

Thought I heard thunder while

In sainsburys, but no lightning seen since I've been out, just a hell of a lot of rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Quite a line of cells moving NEwards out of Exmoor at the moment, seemed to pop up out of nowhere but with some hefty radar returns. I wonder if these turn electrical at all.

Yes, a line of cells stretching from Weston to Exeter currently. Torrential rain within them.

Heading towards Bristol in the next half hour or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Storms very close to where I live in Queensbury but no sferic producers near where I am as yet. Although heavy shower in south Staffordshire could have my name on it if it turns thundery.

Posted

Storms very close to where I live in Queensbury but no sferic producers near where I am as yet. Although heavy shower in south Staffordshire could have my name on it if it turns thundery.

nothing in my view... anything heading for me or?...

Posted

Just had absolutely torrential rain here but no thunder or lightning. Sky signal has been knocked out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Looks like some very heavy stuff down over Taunton too. Surprised there's no hail, thunder or lightning reported down that way yet. Looks very black to the south here but no rain as of yet.