Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 4th August 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

nice little storm has fired up just to my east...a few rumbles from it, it's heading NEwards just to the east of Stafford

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Well the wigan storm shield has some power it stood its ground . nothing can break it just a few faint rumbles and thats yer lot

But.....I was having non of it , drove away from here, about 6 miles east where I saw a few vivid cg's spitting out from the storm and a few booms , the storm went towards manchester, it must have know it would be death for it at wigan

nice lightning in the dark clouds,

I said that about the North East shield, look whats happened in the last two months, 3 supercells converge on the north east and todays cell, I can say that our shield has finally been broken ;

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Very large Right moving possible Supercell to the South West of Norwich, anyone in this area chasing ?? Storm looks very severe for Uk Standards.

Theres nothing on the radar? Is the radar out or something as i have been listening to rumbles near Northallerton and just light rain on radar?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

Jealous of those over there in Wakefield!!!! Photo by Zertinan on Instagram.

165812_508315132518206_440026116_n.jpg

excellent picture!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Was at the beach earlier and could hear a few distant rumbles of thunder to my east. All over 5 miles away but there was what sounded like a +CG strike that was louder and very deep. It was sunny all throughout though and its been a dry afternoon. Quite anoyd that nothing got close to here.

Posted

Its there alright, between Ely and Norwich looks to have a hint of rotation to it and a strong upper inflow.

Posted

Theres nothing on the radar? Is the radar out or something as i have been listening to rumbles near Northallerton and just light rain on radar?

Lol was quite a bit out with my geography, nearer to Dereham in fact but cell died off in the last few scans, was very interesting as it turned hard right North of Ely (Cambs) and was making a beeline for Norwich.

Certainly some interesting cells around today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

A couple of rumbles from the shower, it did seem to pop up out of nowhere so i imagine it will intensify. Something else brewing to my west (i think, i'm struggling to tell which way i'm facing lol) Or it could be that thundery shower lol, who know's i'm a complete novice! Just had another crack of thunder...doesn't know what it wants to do lmao

Edited by Matt_in_Walsall

Posted

Don't winds go anticlockwise around LPs, Andy?

I always thought lows rotated "anti clockwise" !

Err yes! My mind is addled after a crazy weekend and with my area being a breeding ground today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Storm around Castleford it seems.. can hear the thunder.

Posted

Fizzled, again.

This has happened to every storm this year and it's doing my head in, the local topography should be enhancing thunderstorm activity not killing it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

more thunder to my east & south east (nr Walsall) and as posted in the Regionals, quite an active storm developing to the west of Worcester which is heading NEwards towards Birmingham, Wolverhampton & hopefully me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Spent about 3 hours at Sutton Bank, North Yorks today.

Saw a couple of storms passing by to my west and one forming very close, even saw a funnel and quite a lot of rotation. I have a short video and some pics which I'll try to upload later.

Still got to go through yesterdays pics yet.

Looks like another storm approaching here just east of York, but I will probably be sitting down to have tea with my girlfriends family around the time it's due to hit wallbash.gif

EDIT: Love that funnel pic! Very jealous. The one I saw was very small in comparison. I was in such a perfect location too, I was begging it to come down further.

Edited by multi cellular thunderstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

The storms earlier were wonderful lots of ic lightning. 6 year old daughter said the clouds were having a disco until there was one huge clap of thunder n she was off inside

Edited by paul m

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Lol was quite a bit out with my geography, nearer to Dereham in fact but cell died off in the last few scans, was very interesting as it turned hard right North of Ely (Cambs) and was making a beeline for Norwich.

Certainly some interesting cells around today!

That was near Peterborough, saw it brew from the start, amazing structure it had! About an hour ago, the wind suddenly gusted up from the west. Indicating that the low's movement further East is evident.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

what about this just now in Wakefield area? http://t.co/EiY0kYic

Fab funnel!!

Whilst up on the Moor above Hebden I was giving my lad and Lass an impromptu tutorial on how it would look if a Funnel cloud was to drop and, lo and behold, off to the left of the Emley mast a small one dropped and withdrew . i said "keep watching as if it drops again it will be bigger and, lo and behold, it dropped again this time bigger and looking more like a tornado in the making. Once again it withdrew and i said if it drops again I bet it'll reach the ground and , lo and behold it dropped again and went so low as to be behind the hill over Halifax way and look like a fully fledged tornado!

What result! never witnessed a funnel before but was able to show my kids both what to look for and how one looks!!! Took me 49 years to see my first and , now ,they've seen one at 12 and 10 years old!!!

I just hope the goddess doesn't oblige me with my predictions for the Arctic storm over the coming week!!!

Posted

Caught under the line of cells. Heavy rain, the odd lightning flash and thunder.

That about sums up the experience here, but 3 hours worth of protracted storm watching (15:00 - 18:00).

No strikes within a mile though and It's all over here today, the sun has come out !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather.

There is a fair bit of ML Cape around overnight, are conditions right for overnight storms? Thats my only hope at the min lol

Posted

Areas of Manchester, particularly north Manchester have seen some dangerous weather today with flash flooding.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I think I'm going to call it a day today. Yesterday was an example of Bristol's convective days of old, and today has been example of Bristol's convective days of now - a virtual non-event. Tomorrow's looking like a further northeast jobby so all eyes on next weekend now.

Posted

Well it's been an interesting day so far, loads of very severe cells around, some possibly even supercells.

Here's a video of a funnel in Wakefield:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAIOKKUvyZg

This is a picture of the same funnel:

Azi21zdCYAAl-0N.jpg

And this is the flooding in Newcastle:

AzjWn4ACYAAAaDv.jpg

As for me in Cardiff I've just had the odd heavy shower.

Edited by CardiffStorm

Posted

Storm around Castleford it seems.. can hear the thunder.

Just missed Castleford by about a mile sorry.gif can still hear the thunder tho...

Posted

Successfully managed to avoid thunderstorms again today, and to be honest I'm more than happy with this outcome, as a ) thunder does nowt for me, and b ) we've had more than enough torrential downpours this summer already.

Edited by paul tall