Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

It has been a dire season for many crops with the season so extremely short and so devoid of sunlight. A real shame about the apples - the garden has been a real struggle with everything running so late.

15.8c in the house this morning and I'm going to have to get the central heating fired up pretty soon. Done my best to hold off using the gas fire in the evening but its horrible getting up for work with everything freezing cold - especially putting on icy feeling clothes!

If I put it on soon that will make the shortest 'off season' I've ever had lasting only from June 3rd to mid September. Now even for this cold house that is a short warm season for a city centre in the Midlands!

Posted

Noticeable how many yellow leaves were coming down in the strong NWerly yesterday afternoon.

I was fishing in the canal and by the end it was covered in them - must be about a month earlier than recent years.

Posted

A real shame about the apples.......

15.8c in the house this morning and I'm going to have to get the central heating fired up pretty soon. Done my best to hold off using the gas fire in the evening but its horrible getting up for work with everything freezing cold - especially putting on icy feeling clothes!

Amazing how we differ - love the cold,dark mornings - but you already know that! Ah the apples... got 3 apple trees and 2 pears,been heavy-croppers in the three years I've been here but this time around there's nothing on the pears and 2 of the apples. The other one is laden.....?!

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

I suspect that it will last personally.

What we tend to see in spring is massive melt causing cold anomalies whilst warm anomalies in Autumn pre-freeze so the fact that we have such a pattern is encouraging to see.

Personally i find the PDO situation fascinating, rather than being moderated by a strengthening El Nino it looks as though the PDO may be comprehensively winning the battle and El Nino in areas 1 and 2 is fading.

This situation reminds of 1993. In that Summer and Autumn there was a big cold pool in the High-Latitude North Atlantic and at the same time a weak El Nino was being canceled out by a Negative PDO phase. This led to one of the coldest Autumns of the 20th Century and even the average CET for winter 1993/1994 masked the classic cold zonality of December 1993 and January 1994. February 1994 was a classic month with two big easterly cold spells! Edited by Craig Evans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Amazing how we differ - love the cold,dark mornings - but you already know that! Ah the apples... got 3 apple trees and 2 pears,been heavy-croppers in the three years I've been here but this time around there's nothing on the pears and 2 of the apples. The other one is laden.....?!

I do indeed! :) Count yourself lucky that your season is so much longer than mine - well temperature wise at least!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Weatherbell appear to be going for a slightly milder than normal Autumn for the UK

cfs_season_anom_t2m_globe_201209.png

Milder than average across pretty much the whole of the Northern Hemipshere there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

No but I've seen plenty of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

No

I saw a brief patch of grass frost this morning! I think last year I didn't see any frost until December.

On a seperate note, have you seen the GFS run this morning? Beginning of Oct is indicating snow for Scotland and a northerly airflow as the jetstream pushes south, bringing the colder air south also (increasing the risk of frost). With the stormy weather we will get in the next few days, it looks like Autumn could be quite erratic - quite different to last Autumn!

Posted

No sign of an 'Indian Summer' this year !!

Taking a stroll around the garden yesterday morning after me night shift, it sure was good to feel the frozen dew crunching underfoot.

Posted

Some models hinting at something warmer & drier in week 2, but nothing more than that currently, and to be honest, that's FI anyway.

Posted

No sign of an 'Indian Summer' this year !!

Well not yet but could easily happen in October or even November if we got a deep southerly flow. Warm weather now isn't an Indian summer anyway - need to get some frost first technically.

Certainly feels like autumn though - fire is much needed when in the house. Was 16.2c in here when we came down at half 10 this morning - it went straight on!

Posted

Well not yet but could easily happen in October or even November if we got a deep southerly flow. Warm weather now isn't an Indian summer anyway - need to get some frost first technically.

Certainly feels like autumn though - fire is much needed when in the house. Was 16.2c in here when we came down at half 10 this morning - it went straight on!

We had a frost Friday night/Saturday morning, surprised you didn't.

Anyhoo, looking forward to the rain. Off for a weeks fishing holiday tomorrow so the river looks like being freshened-up!

Posted

Far too early for frosts here unless it gets really cold as I'm very near to the city centre (albeit probably the coldest a city location can be due to ample trees, parks, big gardens, etc).

6.3c has been the lowest I've recorded so far (since May) and at 0622 on a Saturday morning - both too warm & too early for me to witness a frost!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

No frost here either sadly.. we've gotten down to 2C this month though, but the wind never died down, and the grass temperature remained above freezing.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

The leaves on the trees are starting to turn a deep red/yellow where I am. I love the colours that autumn brings. I think they are looking more vivid than last year. Lets hope we get a few fine, cold crisp mornings in October (It is looking like we will, last Autumn was rubbish). I like the feeling of crunching leaves underfoot and kicking them up in the air as I walk!

Posted

Already a lot of leaves down here with all this wind!

Posted

Autumn has certainly got going these last 4 days delivering some major contrasts - Saturday morning brought an air frost followed by a beautiful sunny autumn day, Sunday was one of those pleasant days with little happening, however, the last 2 days have brought stormy very wet conditions.

Posted

Autumn winds & rain here, along with cool temps at times.