Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

Finally the Acer in my Mum and Dad's sheltered garden coped the wind and having been fully covered in red leaves yesterday, today is down to single leaves towards the bottom of the tree.

The tree at the end of the road has gone from 70% covered yesterday to 95% empty over night.

Now the Acer has gone, it's nearly winter.biggrin.png

Wow, I knew nature's calender runs later in the south-west, but I didn't know it was so much later. I can't remember when leaf fall began, but its end seems like a distant memory - late October perhaps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

To be honest Harve, it's extremely late for us- but then again we normally have a few gales in mid October which moves things along a lot more swiftly. The trees actually started changing earlier than past years but held on for longer- it was a lovely late display!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

19 years ago there were unusually cold minima in the south west for November

Do the daffodils really come out in November in the Isles of Scilly or is this forecast from february time?

I'm guessing easterlies are much less problematic up there having dried out a bit before reaching you. Now a Dec 2010 easterly is great - a proper cold source - but anything less than that and its just awful and gets even worse towards the coast.

Anything less will be a massive improvement on the current weather and people can still go out and about without worrying about being stuck in flood water.

Not sure where your cloudy easterly is on GFS 18Z, looks a clear slack northerly/northeasterly flow to me with lots of sunshine and crisp cold days. smile.png

Edited by Eugene

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Some true Autumn weather of late, especially across the south & more to come at the weekend.

Posted

Until recent days, apart from the system which brought gales just after the equinox autumn 2012 had been in the main a fairly quiet one for stormy weather. I was saying how the autumn has been a real mix of very traditional weather, with fog, frosty sunny conditions, early snowfalls in late oct/early nov, mild sunny weather early sept, and now we have seen some proper disturbed very wet windy weather with more forecast. In overview Autumn 2012 has been a real treat for those who like there seasons to be how they should be, it has reminded me of Autumn 2008 which saw a mix of all types of weather.

Not once this autumn have I got 'bored' of the weather, which is something that couldn't be said during the last three autumns which saw very lengthy homogenous spells of often abnormally mild benign conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Agreed - its been a very interesting autumn with just what you expect from it - a real mixed bag.

At least one season in 2012 got it right! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Sadly the warm and dry conditions didnt persist during the whole of September but it was a nice spell of weather while it lasted. Then the rest has been mostly cool and or wet which i dont mind that much considering all possibility of warmth has gone for the year. Although there have been 2 lovely sunny Sundays in a row.

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome

It's been a neat little Autumn with the weather suiting all preferences ...

I almost forgot about that nice warm sunny start to September though as Millhouse pointed out :p

The Wintry flavour at the end of October/start of November seems all but forgotten now, although it was of course interesting at the time with some notable frost and wintry precipitation for some.

November itself will be remembered by some users as perhaps a bit of a let down, in the fact that the start of November brought many excitement given the seasonably cool models and high hopes of an early start to Winter ... this however never truly materialized as some were expecting.

Instead of a possible Wintry-like November, we instead got some rather non-meaningful temperatures covered with notable extremes of rainfall, very sadly causing damaging floods and this was coupled with typical Autumn Gales which perhaps overshadowed the overall look back of Autumn 2012 as being a bit of a poor one, no doubt that in 20 years time it certainly won't be one to remember like 2011 was.

Anyway, this thread is becoming ever so quiet now ... most posts seem to be happening.. mhmm ... elsewhere. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

It's been a neat little Autumn with the weather suiting all preferences ...

I almost forgot about that nice warm sunny start to September though as Millhouse pointed out :p

The Wintry flavour at the end of October/start of November seems all but forgotten now, although it was of course interesting at the time with some notable frost and wintry precipitation for some.

November itself will be remembered by some users as perhaps a bit of a let down, in the fact that the start of November brought many excitement given the seasonably cool models and high hopes of an early start to Winter ... this however never truly materialized as some were expecting.

Instead of a possible Wintry-like November, we instead got some rather non-meaningful temperatures covered with notable extremes of rainfall, very sadly causing damaging floods and this was coupled with typical Autumn Gales which perhaps overshadowed the overall look back of Autumn 2012 as being a bit of a poor one, no doubt that in 20 years time it certainly won't be one to remember like 2011 was.

Anyway, this thread is becoming ever so quiet now ... most posts seem to be happening.. mhmm ... elsewhere. :p

It's a shame, Autumn is so underrated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome

It's a shame, Autumn is so underrated.

Although when most of it consists of rain and cool, it does get tiring. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Last nights temperatures;

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgicurrentgraph?CEL=C&ART=kartealle&LANG=en&JJ=2012&MM=11&TT=29&TIME=0530&TYP=temperatur&KEY=UK&LAND=UK&CONT=ukuk&TIME=1354168808

Looks like most places, with the exception of Anglia & SE England, got some sort of frost.

Rather nippy for late Autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yep its over, time to unpin this one...