Welcome To The Netweather Forum!

Sign In or Register for full access to the community - including the regional forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Wimbledon Championships Start Date Moved From 2015

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Summer Sun

Summer Sun
  • Members(10)
  • 16,648 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 14:50

Wimbledon's position on the tennis calendar will be moved back by one week, starting from 2015.

The change of dates has been mooted for a while and will finally create a three-week gap between the French Open and Wimbledon.

It will also allow the players a longer grasscourt build-up and should give the traditional Wimbledon warm-up tournament at Queen's Club a better chance of attracting the top stars.

All England Club chairman Philip Brook said: "The best interests of tennis will be served by allowing the players more time to recuperate and to adjust from the clay of Roland Garros to the grass at Wimbledon.

"All our research indicates that there is widespread support within the game for extending the gap between the French Open and Wimbledon and, importantly, we think most players will welcome the prospect of a longer grass court season and spending more time on the softer surface of grass.

"In making this change from 2015 we recognise that there will be some important consequences for the overall tennis calendar and enough time needs to be given to allow us all to plan accordingly."

Wimbledon 2015 will run from Monday, June 29 to Sunday, July 12.

http://www1.skysport...edon-moved-back

3596892559.png

#2 Andy Bown

Andy Bown

Cumulonimbus over Westbury /\

• Members
  • 12,561 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 15:07

Thanks for that, I listened to Tim Henman talking about it being a likely occurence but why does it have to wait 3 years!
Warminster, Wiltshire

2 quotes by me:
-Nature is idyllic, you just need the time to stop and enjoy!
-Look up you never know what you may see!

#3 Robbie Garrett

Robbie Garrett

Qualified Private Pilot

• Members
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 22:43

Thanks for that, I listened to Tim Henman talking about it being a likely occurence but why does it have to wait 3 years!

Politics. It's always the way with things.

Regards
Robbie 
Follow me on Twitter | @PilotRobbie

websignature2.jpg
Visit our Concorde Legacy website, or our first Project Concorde Flight...
Weather Extremes London 2008+ -
2008 - 1 Snowfall, n/a Thunderstorms 
29.7°C, 2009 - 5 Snowfalls, 6 Thunderstorms, 32.0 °C, -6 °C 2010 - 5 Snowfalls, 4 Thunderstorms, 31.7 °C, -9 °C 2011 - , 1 Snowfall, 3 Thunderstorms, 33.1 °C, -2 °C 2012, 3 Snowfalls, 21 Thunderstorms31.1°C, -7 °C   2013 - 11 Snowfalls, 16 (7 on 23rd July) Thunderstorms34.1°C, -5 °C2014 - 0 Snowfalls, 31 Thunderstorms, 31.9°C, -2 °C..