Welcome To The Netweather Forum!

Sign In or Register for full access to the community - including the regional forums.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 17th July 2012>

lightning thunderstorm funnel cloud tornado

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1202 replies to this topic

#641 Coast

Coast

Rider on the storm

• Members
  • 33,294 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:06

Admittedly, not storm pics but very changeable out there, managed to catch this a few mins ago.

Great shot, could you just stick you location in your profile so we know roughly where it was taken please? :good:

SAAB Convertible

Posted Image

Now, you listen here:'e's not the Messiah,'e's a very naughty boy!
Views & opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own - but the voices made me do it

#642 citizenx

citizenx
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:16

Great shot, could you just stick you location in your profile so we know roughly where it was taken please? Posted Image

Thanks, yeah.. fair point. Done! For clarity, i'm on the north east (England) coast.

#643 Andy Bown

Andy Bown

Cumulonimbus over Westbury /\

• Members
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:36

More heavy rain last night adding another 30mm+ to the monthly total which now stands at 258.6mm. Was even treated to a a flash of lightning & two rumbles of thunder.

Staggering Steve, 60ish mm in Weston from 2 nights of Bristol Channel streamer showers while just 30 or so miles away 2mm from a few sharp showers in the
same time scale!
Warminster, Wiltshire

2 quotes by me:
-Nature is idyllic, you just need the time to stop and enjoy!
-Look up you never know what you may see!

#644 gottolovethisweather

gottolovethisweather

gottolovethisweather

• Regional Forum Host
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 14:38

Staggering Steve, 60ish mm in Weston from 2 nights of Bristol Channel streamer showers while just 30 or so miles away 2mm from a few sharp showers in the
same time scale!

60mm rainfall = 2 feet of snow in winter too. Posted Image

Formally STORMBOY, come visit my Blog http://naturestimeline.com/ to learn more about this slightly eccentric anorak, who goes by the name of Tony!

Finally, two quotes from two very different recent Winters.

"Wasn't it enough that we lived through the coldest December for over 100 years that no one alive has experienced?" and "Wasn't it enough that we lived through the wettest December - February for over 250 years that no one alive has experienced?"

#645 East_England_Stormchaser91

East_England_Stormchaser91

The Ace of Cambs!

• Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 17:42

Yet again Peterborough misses the showers on this direct West wind! They just all seem to travel along the A14 corridor on this type of setup. We seem to get the showers more often on a Southwesterly.

#646 rhip

rhip
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 19:35

See out in the Channel just off Dover this morning - my first funnel cloud - apologies for the quality taken on my phone while I was jumping up and down!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0106.jpg
  • IMAG0105.jpg
  • IMAG0107.jpg

#647 Liam J

Liam J
  • Severe Weather Forum Host
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 20:12

Caught a funnel today over the Solway whilst travelling to Carlisle. It doesn't look as impressive on the photo as I was using my mobile and zoomed in a little, but you can make it out.

Funnell.jpg

Edited by Liam J, 30 July 2012 - 20:21 .

#648 Sprites

Sprites
  • Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:22

Rhip good photos, in the pic with the boats, there seems to be a distant funnel between the masts?......two funnels in that pic...

#649 Keraunic

Keraunic

Oscar Boy.

• Members
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:34

Great images folks. Last time I saw a funnel cloud was August 1997.
Ad tua sui esse verum

.....every sky has it's beauty, and storms which whip the blood
do but make it pulse more vigorously. (George Gissing (1857-1903)

⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

#650 PerfectStorm

PerfectStorm

Armchair Critic.

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 22:42

Great images folks. Last time I saw a funnel cloud was August 1997.

Last time I saw a funnel cloud was when it dropped a tornado right in my back yard in June 2009, if anyone remembers that storm, it was when it suddenly brewed in the east and dropped 3-4 inches of hail and inevitably flooded everywhere, June 16th I believe, the worst storm I will probably ever see in this country.

http://www.hertfords...Buntingford.htm

Attached Thumbnails

• storm!.jpg

Edited by Perfect Storm, 30 July 2012 - 22:50 .

Paul Carter
Hometown: Buntingford, Hertfordshire (110 Metres ASL)
Uni Accommodation: Cottingham, Nr. Hull (5 Metres ASL)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my Facebook page below for regular weather updates!!

https://www.facebook...bookmark_t=page

#651 Keraunic

Keraunic

Oscar Boy.

• Members
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 23:10

Hmm, looking at that image above, Norwich probably got something that day too. I'm racking my brains to remember. The photo of the tornado is a good one.
Ad tua sui esse verum

.....every sky has it's beauty, and storms which whip the blood
do but make it pulse more vigorously. (George Gissing (1857-1903)

⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

#652 Coast

Coast

Rider on the storm

• Members
  • 33,294 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:05

Quiet for a while but maybe building towards the end of the weekend?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

SAAB Convertible

Posted Image

Views & opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own - but the voices made me do it

#653 Chris R

Chris R
  • Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:13

Looks like ther''s some potential tomorrow here as well as on friday and saturday. Metoffice also going for heavy thundery showers although I keeppp letting my self be taken in by these forecasts when they have hardly ever been correct this year

Crosby, north of the city of liverpool, situated on the Sefton coast at the boundary between the Mersey estuary and the Irish sea. . 

http://en.wikipedia....sby,_Merseyside

I live just to the east of Crosby village, in usually quite a sheltered area, about 1.5 miles inland from Crosby beach. 

53.490° n, -3.019° W

winter 2013/14, observational statistics. 

Number of air frosts: 1; 26/12/13, @ 06:00. 

Total number of air frosts in season since last equinox: 4; (4/11, 23/11, 25/11 and 26/12). 

Number of days with confirmed falling snow: 0

Number of days with confirmed lying snow: 0

Maximum snow depth? N/A

Number of days with falling wintry mix precipitation events: 3; 05/12/13, 11/1/14, and 11/2/14. 

Number of notable Gail events: 3; 05/12/13, 27/12/13 and 12/2/14. 

Number of ice days: 0

Lowest recorded temperature: -0.6 ºC; 2013/12/26 @0600

Number of thunder  events: 1; 11/1/2014 @07:30; (small rumble of distant thunder associated with heavy hail shower). 

Highest recorded lightning strike rate reached: N/A

_______

#654 Coast

Coast

Rider on the storm

• Members
  • 33,294 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:21

Looks like ther''s some potential tomorrow here as well as on friday and saturday. Metoffice also going for heavy thundery showers although I keeppp letting my self be taken in by these forecasts when they have hardly ever been correct this year

Hmmm, it's not a massive potential according to GFS, but they may be on to something:

Posted Image

Posted Image

But it's certainly in your area!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's the interesting bit though.....

Posted Image

SAAB Convertible

Posted Image

#655 Stuart

Stuart
  • Members
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:47

look Quiet tell the weekend for storm Lovers

website

http://www.ardersier-weather.co.uk/

3018269201.png

#656 legritter

legritter
  • Members
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:12

Any thoughts on the potential Fri to Sunday? Tomorrow could see some action as a cold front attemps to move east, then Thurs well at the moment looks a quieter day then friday convection kicks off could a change of month bring some storms to those who have missed out so far.

I will be watching todays updated faxes especially the later ones s the human input could give us some clues. A lot depends on what temp is dragged in tomorrow behind that cold front and what air pressure we finish up with. But still with a good strong sun, lets hope something gets fired up. I've now loaded my camera as i dont want to miss any good magical moments like i did Sunday morning - 5.30 am rising sun catching storm clouds moving in from west ,beutifull orangy yellow sky.

Cheers gang Posted Image

#657 Karl83

Karl83
  • Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:44

Rmgfs1236.gif

More chance of flying to moon I reckon. Just watch it wither from the west and drift east.

edit: How do I post images instead of links?

edit 2: Edited a few times to keep up with recent runs and I've now just posted my first picture.

Edited by Thunder_Bolt, 31 July 2012 - 17:09 .

#658 SimonP

SimonP
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:22

edit: How do I post images instead of links?

Download the image(s) to your 'puter.. Then upload them as attachments in your post (click the 'image' toolbar button in the post editor).

#659 legritter

legritter
  • Members
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:01

regards tomorrows COLD FRONT ,at present the advancing front is much more organised and already showing nicely ,i think we have two possible options on offer ,it comes through with vigour or is just a little wimp ,breaking up as it crosses good old uk , i prefer the first option but timing will be critical . it could surprise us all ,or as i said a wimp . tonights sat view at about 7.30 pm should provide us with some clues ,as angle of sun will be about right to bring out detail ,gone muggy here with patchy light rain ,cheers

#660 Karl83

Karl83
  • Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:03

Download the image(s) to your 'puter.. Then upload them as attachments in your post (click the 'image' toolbar button in the post editor).

Many many thanks.