Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Patches On Scottish Mountains

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Thats just the top of the ski lift SS, but yes the sprinkling we had in September would of only lasted a day or two max.

Thats the highest the camera goes I believe?

http://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/webcams.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Anyway... Over the course of the weekend I visited most of the extant snow patches in Scotland. As mentioned by PM above, Blair Fyffe visited Ben Nevis and found a few patches. All told there were (at the time of the visits) 7 patches in Scotland. The biggest of which is the one linked to above, on Aonach Beag (situated, amazingly, at around 3000ft, here). A good picture of the depth of this snow can be found in my picture, here. The patch measured 50.7 metres long on Sunday and is a certainty for survival to winter.

So we have moved from 81 patches down now to 7 ?

How many do you think will survive 4/5 ?

What was the last year we had no snow patches at the end of the season ?

So we have moved from 81 patches down now to 7 ?

How many do you think will survive 4/5 ?

What was the last year we had no snow patches at the end of the season ?

Yup. Now 7, down from 81. That's not unusual for late September/early October. We're down to the snow-patch season proper now!

It's so hard to say. Minimum of 3 I'd say. Maximum probably of 5.

2006 all snow melted in Scotland. If memory serves me correctly the final snow melted that year on 1st October.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Off topic a little but does anyone know a final melt date for England this year (excluding the possibility of Eldon Hole)? I seem to recall some remaining snow on the Cheviot in June?

Off topic a little but does anyone know a final melt date for England this year (excluding the possibility of Eldon Hole)? I seem to recall some remaining snow on the Cheviot in June?

The last snow was Eldon Hole, which persisted well into July AT LEAST. The latest above ground snow was on The Cheviot, which melted around the 2nd July. Quite late by English standards.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

The last snow was Eldon Hole, which persisted well into July AT LEAST. The latest above ground snow was on The Cheviot, which melted around the 2nd July. Quite late by English standards.

Thanks for that, very interesting. :) A shame that Eldon Hole didn't make it the whole year. Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
Congrats to Guinness record breaker Helen Rennie for four years of consecutive months of skiing in Scotland...! Trip over to the a' Chul Choire snow patch below Aonach Beag today to put in some October turns, Still about 5 feet thick at the upper edge so should last a while yet.

post-12319-0-57161500-1381065539_thumb.j

post-12319-0-62403000-1381065580_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It did in 2010.

I think that Eldon hole is a unique case,although there is something similar at nevis,i still think they cannot be compared the same as above ground.I believe the rich gentry in times gone by had under ground bunkers they would pack with snow and ice in winter to keep fresh produce through summer !

• 1 month later...
Posted

As you may be aware, there has been a noticeable drop-off in temperature and some significant snowfall over the tops of most parts of the Highlands recently, and so hopefully Firefly won't mind me quoting his post on WinterHighland of the final 'scores' with regard to lasting snow patches:

"A total of six patches survived through to the new season of 2013-14. Breakdown as follows:Ben Nevis - three patches (Point 5 Gully, Observatory Gully x 2)Aonach Beag - one patchBraeriach - two patchesThis year was notable for the massive SE storm which blew on 22-24 March. This filled in a lot of NW and west facing hollows. But for a very mild summer, these hollows could have held lasting snow (Coire Loch nan Eun of Lochnagar! Ciste Mhearad of Carn Ban Mòr). We saw huge wreaths on unusual west-facing aspects right through until August and September, and remarkably snow persisted into June on the Lammermuirs."

It's worth reading (in particular) the last couple of pages of the thread at WinterHighland for detailed reports and photos:

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,154638,page=29

Hats off again to Firefly and the others who were intrepid enough to visit the long-lasting snow sites late in the season, when the patches become small and difficult to reach, requiring serious effort and commitment (not to mention resilience to cold!)

Edited by spindrift1980
  • Like 2

I don't mind at all, PM!

Yes, the recent heavy snow has buried all the old snow at Nevis and Garbh Choire Mòr. I did a trip on Sunday to see if the Ben Nevis patches were visible. They weren't, so we were obliged to dig down to find them! An idea of the conditions can be seen in this video: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28183399@N03/10653340576/in/set-72157637273642103

The full set is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28183399@N03/sets/72157637273642103/

I hope this thread has been of interest to you all this year, and sorry I didn't post as often as the previous year. Here's to 2014!

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
Posted

The storm on Thursday has caused more damage to Glencoe

Damage report

Currently not as bad as the previous major storm but the recently replaced roof on the building at the bottom of the Cliffy has again been ripped of and both the Poma and the Cliffy have been derailed. Staff are currently assessing the damage.

They also don't have enough snow to open the runs

Snow Report

While there are substantial gains of snow in some places other areas of the mountain are completely windscoured and with milder temperatures forecast for the weekend we still do not have enough snow to open for skiing.

http://hosted-p0.vresp.com/578510/8c3fba9064/ARCHIVE

The only webcam updating currently is the one at the entrance (1200ft)

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Snow has made it down to the base of Glencoe now

Posted Image

Quite a bit has built up at 3600ft in places but in other parts its all clear

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

There's a massive snow patch this morning on the Scottish Mountains.