Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Supercell And Tornado Photo's - Report Chase Day 20 Oklahoma

Paul Sherman

Posted

A simply incredible and fun chase today for the Netweather Team which ended with us being only 1 of a few people who witnessed the Piedmont Tornado just before Sunset tonight, in fact it is being dubbed the "Infamous Piedmont Tornado"

Left Wichita Falls with a chase target of Canton (Oklahoma) and the first cell of the day intitiated over the top of that town, at first it struggled as it rolled along first ENE & Then eastwards, it took on some great LP Supercell structure near Hennessey.

This cell was always the Tail end Charlie and knowing what I know about these things I stuck with it and never left it's side for the next 5 hours. We were so close to the rain free base it felt like we were all rotating with this Supercell. At times brief spin ups and insane motion were almost above our heads. Lightning was also becoming a big hazard with numerous cornfield fires getting ignited by these strikes, we dialed 911 to a fire from a strike which landed just 500 yards in front of us.

The storm was now transitioning into a Classic Supercell and just South of Dover we watched in amazement as a corkscrew updraught rotated above our heads, Tornado Sirens were blaring out in the nearby town. A large wall cloud formed and a very large funnel descended half way to the ground, me and Arron and Tom looked on in bemusement at how it never touched down at that point as the rotation was easily near 150mph!

Then the chase was really on, we went along a series of red dirt Oklahoma roads, criss crossing the Dow Trucks getting more shots of the insane structure, once again at Kingfisher the Sirens were blaring and the motion was insane. We then found ourselves near the Outskirts of Northern Oklahoma City near Piedmont, reports of injuries sustained by Hail were coming over the radio along with grapefruit sized hail and larger. Some radios were saying over $100 Million of property damage was being caused.

Then at 8pm a clear slot developed about 1 mile to our North West and bang the Funnel which was over our heads touched down, there were no more than a few of us on that road to see this Tornado, we then had to dodge 80mph winds and Softball Sized Hail and negotiate a way back to the Hotel.

Incredible Chase Day and one that will live long in the memory!

Paul S

post-24-0-75905300-1338359442_thumb.jpg - Storm Initiation over Canton (Oklahoma) LP Supercell

post-24-0-11945600-1338359478_thumb.jpg - Fire from a Cg Lightning Strike

post-24-0-49021900-1338359501_thumb.jpg - Insane Structure South of Dover (Oklahoma)

post-24-0-88613600-1338359549_thumb.jpg - Beautiful Classic Supercell North of Piedmont

post-24-0-85417100-1338359586_thumb.jpg - 5" Hail In This coming straight at us

post-24-0-65046900-1338359614_thumb.jpg - Piedmont Tornado Touching Down!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

Not.Jealous.At.All

It even posed over a harvested corn field for you. Aswesome stuff.

Posted

Great pix and videos ... Wednesday also looks volatile. As dry as it has been in western OK and parts of TX/NM could see this next phase bringing some exceptionally heavy rainfalls a bit further east. It certainly is a region of contrasts.

Edited by Roger J Smith

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Fantastic photos, amazing structures and a tornado to top it all.. Incredible hail too... well done..!!post-5386-0-00587100-1338360840_thumb.jp

Posted

Great structure pics Paul,

http://newsok.com/severe-storms-graze-swath-across-oklahoma-over-two-days/article/3679611

some local reports from yesterday,

Team well placed for todays threat too

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

Edited by dallas

Posted

Just being looking at the Netweather US charts, I'm Paul will be drooling at the mega cape on offer today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

Amazaballs, jealously levels are rapidly increasing! sorry.gif

Posted

Absolutely brilliant, great shots and well done. Lets hope the run of well seasoned postioning continues.

(I was gonna say luck but Paul hates that word....)

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

More good news for the team

PUBLIC SEVERE WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0419 AM CDT WED MAY 30 2012

...SIGNIFICANT SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS EXPECTED OVER PARTS OF THE

CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN PLAINS LATER TODAY AND TONIGHT...

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER IN NORMAN OK IS FORECASTING THE

DEVELOPMENT OF LARGE...DESTRUCTIVE HAIL...A FEW TORNADOES...AND

POTENTIALLY WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS OVER PARTS OF THE CENTRAL AND

SOUTHERN PLAINS LATER TODAY AND TONIGHT.

THE AREAS MOST LIKELY TO EXPERIENCE THIS ACTIVITY INCLUDE

SOUTHERN KANSAS

WESTERN AND CENTRAL OKLAHOMA

NORTHERN TEXAS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Boring! ;) LOL :D Absolutely insane photos! Very jealous, as ever. Keep 'em coming - wishing you luck for the rest of the tour (s)

Posted

Some snaps from me :D I have to say I think this was probably my best chase day ever and the structure and rotation was unreal, How it never dropped in the various fields we watched it roll over I'll never know. I have plenty video, but yet again the internet is awful :(

post-4649-0-64406000-1338389773_thumb.jppost-4649-0-50051200-1338389598_thumb.jppost-4649-0-19602600-1338389608_thumb.jp

post-4649-0-43823400-1338389787_thumb.jppost-4649-0-42496500-1338389667_thumb.jppost-4649-0-83553800-1338389796_thumb.jp

post-4649-0-41989700-1338389704_thumb.jppost-4649-0-84241700-1338389804_thumb.jppost-4649-0-05296700-1338389823_thumb.jp

post-4649-0-23301200-1338389859_thumb.jppost-4649-0-76104900-1338389868_thumb.jppost-4649-0-62349400-1338389469_thumb.jp

Tornado shots from the wife!

post-4649-0-61174500-1338389488_thumb.jppost-4649-0-97457100-1338389513_thumb.jppost-4649-0-78074600-1338389540_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

This is one of those instances when I'm torn between loving watching the storms but also being afraid for the people living there, as I know someone who lives on a farm in Piedmont, so it's a terrible worry. The sheer power of those storms I can't begin to imagine, I don't know how they live with them! So I'll wish you all luck but hope any tornadoes or damage stays clear of the residents, as I'm sure you all do as well. :)

Posted

Cracking pics from Mr+Mrs Smokes

Posted

This is Tom on Johns lappy

another good chase day and increased stress levels - we stayed right under that thing for what felt like hours. Will try to post more video footage later.

Tom

Posted

Managed to upload a video of a close lightning strike next to the supercell. Perfect timing as I'd just turned the camera on biggrin.png Not long after there was another to the left hand side which set file to a field help.gif

Posted

Our Position on when the Piedmont Tornado dropped, we were about 2 Miles South West of Piedmont with 4 to 5" Hail pounding to our east and west.

We were right in the hook a few hundred yards from Tim Marshall.

post-24-0-78149700-1338392439_thumb.jpg

Posted

Nice radar grab, I hope you get loads today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

I don't think I could go greener if I tried :D Great stuff, loving it all good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Another shot of the mother ship heading into Oklahoma City. You can hear the tornado sirens in the background. Then trying to fight our way through the traffic and avoid trucks being blown over.

Tom

Edited by Tom Lynch