Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - February To March 2012 Onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A new thread to discuss the potential threat of some lively weather as the upcoming week is looking quite disturbed especially for the north and west of the country as the Atlantic stirs into action firing some active depressions over our shores. On the face of it'll be fairly mild with west or south westerly winds, which will be strong at times with gales likely for some of us.

Very heavy rainfall and gusty winds passing south through the country this morning associated with a cold front which has worked it's way down from the north introducing cooler conditions as it does so.

Wind gust of 47mph here around 6.30am.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Yup a breezy week coming up but at the moment not looking as lively as Jan where we gusted over 60 on a couple of occasions.

47 mph max gust here averaging 25 mph. Good example of the rain shadow effect on the radar with the rainfall struggling to get over the pennines. So I may have to rinse my car after all as those bright echoes to the west and north west keep disappearing as they approach. :doh: :doh: I was hoping for a free rinse.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Very windy this afternoon with near gales force westerly winds and gusts around 50mph, the windchill is severe and very noteable on bare skin.

Posted

Looking pretty lively tomorrow for the north and west as we see yet more wet and windy conditions affecting the UK thanks to a deep area of low pressure. Gusts around 50-60mph affecting many northern and western locations, 40-50mph inland quite possible.

All accompanied by very heavy rainfall, quite worrying as the ground is already saturated here with many fields now looking like ponds or mini lakes as river levels continue to rise.

post-9615-0-73061600-1329861721_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Quite windy up North and in Scotland today with a turn around in wind direction mid-afternoon bringing things a little further to the South:

12_21.gif

hir_stp_eur15.png

hir_srh_eur15.png

hir_gusts_eur15.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

60mph gusts this morning in some exposed parts of Northern England for a time this morning (think Shap, Spadeadam, exposed parts of the North Pennines), and 40-50mph gusts more generally, although they're much lighter now. I got less than 2mm of rain though!

Posted

Surprised at the lack of mention of today's wind speeds - Albemarle (nr Newcastle) reported a 47mph gust at 13:00, and places much further north in Scotland are seeing 60-70mph gusts. It's been getting much windier in the past hour so it'll be interesting to see how high these gusts get. I just wish I'd known before hand as I'd have tied everything down in the back garden!

Posted

Are the Shetlands in for a thrashing on Monday??????

post-6667-0-30442300-1330168538_thumb.pn

Posted

Are the Shetlands in for a thrashing on Monday??????

post-6667-0-30442300-1330168538_thumb.pn

The Faroes certainly are! Shetland and N Scotland look equally windy to me.

It's actually still pretty windy here today, I'm getting rather tired of the wind now.

Edited by Alza 2

Posted

The Faroes certainly are! Shetland and N Scotland look equally windy to me.

Sorry, yes!!!! Geography not my strong point!!!!! :rofl: Apologies to those incorrectly identified as being in the main zone, it is indeed the Faroes that look to get blown into Norway!

Posted

Looks like it may just pass to the North of the Faroes according to HiRLEM:

post-6667-0-19247800-1330249017_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-08290800-1330249023_thumb.pn

GFS also showing it on a more Northerly track, banging straight into Iceland with a major wallop!

post-6667-0-49721600-1330249068_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-78573400-1330249120_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-94874900-1330249126_thumb.pn

May be some windy side effects for Scotland and the North Sea?

Posted

I know its March now, but there isn't a thread yet...

Both the GFS and ECM are showing a pretty stormy pattern in FI, so we might start to get some interest in this thread in around a week. March often delivers a good Atlantic storm or two, so hopefully this year won't be the exception. If the ECM came off there'd also be severe drifting snow by +240 for the North Pennines and the Scottish Highlands. Its amazing how few storms we've had this winter despite the mild airflow!

Edited by Alza 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Could be a windy spell for Northern Scotland and North east England Tueswednesday next week and possible a more wider windy spell next Thursday effecting more of Northern part of the uk. Still in FI so plenty of time for it all to change. At the moment it's looking like Marcvh could be quite blowly for Scotland. For the south theres a small risk of some windy weather this Sunday according to this mornings forecast. GFS has it all too south so unlikely. Otherwise little or no action for the south of the country with High pressure well in charge mostly.

Posted

Still uncertain about this low on Sunday as mentioned above the GFS 00z run had it South not really giving any wind but now the 06z is showing some windy weather.

Sunday 3pm

If this came off gales for Ireland and Wales meanwhile severe gales for the South West of England where average wind speeds are set to over 50mph.

Edited by weathermaster

Posted

Windy day here with top gusts reaching 51mph and just recently I see Stornoway has hit 60mph BBC weather did mention yesterday Western and Northern parts could reach 60mph gusts.

The wind should ease off tonight across all parts but it looks to get windy again on Wednesday afternoon into Thursday morning all Western and Northern parts of the UK will experience strong winds I wouldn't rule out gusts of 65mph over Western Scotland. It will also become wintry across Scotland tomorrow with the strong wind.

Edited by weathermaster

Posted

wild night here!

Sure is and just checked the swell charts and it shows a 40ft swell in the Atlantic tomorrow!

Posted

Hang on up there tonight folks!

24_21.gif

hir_gusts_eur21.png

hir_srhl_eur21.png

hir_srh_eur21.png

Posted

Is it be or is that front pushing though the UK gaining some strength?

Max speeds generally seem to be forecast for later today, here's a current overview:

post-6667-0-16192600-1331114688_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-29951300-1331114691_thumb.jp

Posted

Several fronts moving through today:

LOC_20120307_0900.png

ASII_20120307_0930.png

Posted

Something of a broken squall line along the Cold Front at the moment and a surprising squall line appearance on the following Occlusion.

Although the Cold Front should have passed through here the temperature is still at its' highest so far at 10.1c, I'm expecting it to drop after

the Occlusion.

Posted

The front passed over me early this morning brought very heavy hail and strong gusty winds for about 2 or 3 minutes.

Looks like its a windy day for most places reaching 30 to 40mph gusts some exposed coasts and hills recording over 50mph gusts.

Edited by weathermaster