Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 6

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Okey Dokey, with the imminent explosive snow development for the West Midlands, also known by the Met Office as Operation 'Yourhavingalaugh' .... here's a new shiny thread for the overnight period, So makes yourselves comfy and carry on here.... :D

previous thread here ------------> http://forum.netweat...5/page__st__700

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Just repeating the post I made the moment before the last thread closed...

Apologies if this has already been posted, but a tweet from Chris Fawkes suggests it may be game over for us in the west -- though not for lucky easteners:

"looks like the east midlands will get 5cm+, can't see much for the west midlands"

http://twitter.com/_chrisfawkes

Posted

You know what? That pivot to the west is looking quite marked all of a sudden. It's too late to benefit here...still a non event for me I reckon. However, somewhere like Gloucester might be able to get in on some snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Is that a westward movement I see ?... is it ?....

I think my eyes are falling me. And if they're not, it's very slight.

Posted

Just repeating the post I made the moment before the last thread closed...

Apologies if this has already been posted, but a tweet from Chris Fawkes suggests it may be game over for us in the west -- though not for lucky easteners:

"looks like the east midlands will get 5cm+, can't see much for the west midlands"

http://twitter.com/_chrisfawkes

Here's my wound...have some salt.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

No sure why so many people are complaining of appalling forecasting. Snow events are hard enough to call as it is, even right up until a few hours away. East/west warm/cold battle zones are even harder to call with 0.5 degress and a few miles making all the difference.

Midlands today at 7pm showed Brum and the SW as the battle ground with some snow on the Shropshire/welsh hills which meant little or no snow for me. Bang on the money so far.

If my memory serves me correctly this event wasn't even forecast to happen this far west a couple of days ago with the cold and any snow risks staying well out East .

If I had a pound for every "possible" forecast snow event that never happened I'd be a rich man. I've learnt over many long years that If snow is forecast dont believe it till you actually see it falling out of the sky.

Edited by kar999

Posted

Is it strange that I'm still optimistic when lots of people seem to have given up. Maybe it's just because I'm hoping for some snow at all.

Posted

Aah a brand new thread ... its like treading in a freshly fallen field of snow.... shame that at the moment you'd barely be able to see your boot mark here in Nottingham if you went outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

There is no doubt in my mind its moving southwest now. All it needs is to either stall a bit on the pivot or hopefully precip will be enhanced whilst it pivots.

Think its going to stall here

Much more coming down then I expected

Posted

sadly its just the same old story with snow in the midlands. had 2/3cm last saturday but it barely lasted. just another disappointment you get used to. glad i had a good skiing week in january, with some 30/40cm at lower levels and 200cm at higher levels. you know a lot of things have to come together to get snow in lower lying locations exposed to the atlantic mildness, especially the further west you go. oh well, have to head out to the alpine resort of telford tonight, so its perhaps a blessing in disguise! EDIT: we should really have separate east and west midlands threads :lol:

Edited by azores92

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Just getting heavier and heavier. Could easily beat Saturday judging by whats to come on the radar.

I just cant get my head round how Northampton is doing so well. I've watched the radar, you're getting the same stuff that was over Leicester 30minutes to an hour ago, yet it did nothing here.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

I really cant understand the mood, it will pivot and develop over the next few hours your'l see, remember the fronts pushing back west.

Posted

Never mind folks. We've had 3 main shots at significant snow this winter. December 16th, February 4th and today. We've had a 1 out of 3 success rate that means. Not too bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I am now going to say that for me this is now over.....unless it shifts straight west for an hour and then back north! Oh well never mind, but it has pretty bad....but I was suspicious earlier when no amber warnings were issued!