Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Weather Discussion Part 5

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Racing grifters aye! that takes me back

0.jpg

have just asked husband (Thornaby boy kid racer) what a grifter was. He's gone all misty eyed nostalgicie like....

you know when they say a) it's as easy as riding a bike..... Or, B) you never forget how to ride a bike.... a) no it isn't and B) yes you can..... Bruised derrière and scraped knees testify to that.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Doing my preliminary look at the models for next week, although we have generally NW winds, they are not going to be cold, in fact they will be bringing a fairly mild 9c mid week. Chance of a colder plunge by the weekend, but again temperatures are not that cold, although there would be wintry showers, with GFS at least.

Indeed as per my analysis of next week, in above snow forecast for the Alps, it does like the winds may be Tropical Maritime from the Mid Atlantic.

Synoptic Summary

Currently the Siberian High continues to dominate the weather in Europe, with very cold conditions generally, with only really the Iberian peninsula, parts of the UK and to an extent Northern Scandinavia missing out on the very cold conditions.

Over the weekend there are signs of the high pressure finally retreating back east, however staying very cold over most of Europe and turning colder even over parts of Spain, and Northern Scandinavia, the UK remains milder as a mini HP cell bring tropical maritime air from the south west.

For the mid of next week, a NW flow tries to push in over the UK, with a trough also pushing in through Scandinavia, cold over most of Europe, only the far west inc parts of the Uk missing out. Possibly turning a little milder over the UK from the north, As tropical maritime air feeds in around the HP.

Towards the end of the week, this milder air over the UK, may start to feed in over the continent, including the Alps, lessening the bitterly cold spell.

GFS does suggest it turning colder thereafter, but that's a long time away and the models are likely to change before then.

Posted

Yes indeed Julian, I tracked the flow back around the high and it has come around from near NW Africa (via the south of Iceland!)

Posted

are we supposed to have proper snow about midnight tonight or is the netweather forcast wrong for my postcode ???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

-1c and freezing drizzle...coating of ice over everything now.

Posted

Freezing cold, grey and not snowy or frosty but WET. Just about the most depressing weather imaginable.

Posted

have just asked husband (Thornaby boy kid racer) what a grifter was. He's gone all misty eyed nostalgicie like....

you know when they say a) it's as easy as riding a bike..... Or, B) you never forget how to ride a bike.... a) no it isn't and B) yes you can..... Bruised derrière and scraped knees testify to that.

Ye. No knee pads and helmets back then. Twas a dangerous game

I was a Chopper man myself

I think I actually had a budgie. I think it was a poor mans chopper. It used to regularly catapult me over the handle bars

Anyway. Back to the weather. Stunning day here. -5c at 08:00. Ice inside window in my utility 1st time since Dec 2010

Edited by Cwmbran Eira

Posted

Cloudy and misty this morning. Dusting of snow on the ground.

Ovenight min: -0.9c

Current temp: 0.5c

Posted

Weather guide Sunday 12th to Saturday 18th February (west Wales and central Midlands specific)

Headline: Milder with plenty of dry weather

The cold spell is on it's way out now, having brought heavy snow to the East this week, and with last night temperatures as low as -18c over the snow fields of Eastern England. Although winds are coming from a generally North-westerly direction this coming week, the air is greatly modified and it will not be cold.

The cold hangs on tonight with another hard frost for the Midlands. Sunday sees high pressure moving west across the UK, but with weak frontal systems within this. It's a similar picture for Monday too, with the high ending up to the west of Ireland. Bands of cloud will be tracking south across England and Wales on these two days, and perhaps bringing a little light rain or drizzle in places, with some sunny intervals too, especially later on Monday. There may be a touch of frost by night if skies are clear enough. Feeling chilly in the NW breeze, but temperatures reaching close to the February average of 6 to 8c, so much milder than the past week! Tuesday should be a dry, bright day but with a chilly north wind.

post-2595-0-47703100-1328958711_thumb.gi post-2595-0-70244900-1328958739_thumb.gi

During Wednesday and Thursday the high pressure is positioned well south- west of Ireland, and the feed of air, although still from the NW, has tracked all around the high from the mild Azores region of the Atlantic, so that in spite of the wind direction, it will be a fairly mild couple of days. Due to the lengthy sea track of the air, it will be a rather cloudy spell this, but with a few sunny intervals, and frost is unlikely mid week, with afternoons reaching 8 to 10c. Dry for most, bar a spot of drizzle at times for west Wales.

post-2595-0-16107000-1328958814_thumb.gi post-2595-0-87302200-1328958863_thumb.pn post-2595-0-34825600-1328958842_thumb.gi

By the end of the week, it looks like a low pressure passing close to Iceland and then into Scandinavia will influence us, the high edging further south-west into the Atlantic and away from the UK. A more unsettled theme for Friday and the weekend then, with bands of rain and some showers affecting the UK, most of the showers over west Wales. Although turning colder, temperatures are not far from average, reaching 5 to 8c, so any sleet or snow will be confined to the higher ground of Wales. Slight frosts will occur by night given clearances.

post-2595-0-39453300-1328958900_thumb.gi post-2595-0-69425300-1328958916_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

Weather guide Sunday 12th to Saturday 18th February (west Wales and central Midlands specific)

Headline: Milder with plenty of dry weather

The cold spell is on it's way out now, having brought heavy snow to the East this week, and with last night temperatures as low as -18c over the snow fields of Eastern England. Although winds are coming from a generally North-westerly direction this coming week, the air is greatly modified and it will not be cold.

The cold hangs on tonight with another hard frost for the Midlands. Sunday sees high pressure moving west across the UK, but with weak frontal systems within this. It's a similar picture for Monday too, with the high ending up to the west of Ireland. Bands of cloud will be tracking south across England and Wales on these two days, and perhaps bringing a little light rain or drizzle in places, with some sunny intervals too, especially later on Monday. There may be a touch of frost by night if skies are clear enough. Feeling chilly in the NW breeze, but temperatures reaching close to the February average of 6 to 8c, so much milder than the past week! Tuesday should be a dry, bright day but with a chilly north wind.

post-2595-0-47703100-1328958711_thumb.gi post-2595-0-70244900-1328958739_thumb.gi

During Wednesday and Thursday the high pressure is positioned well south- west of Ireland, and the feed of air, although still from the NW, has tracked all around the high from the mild Azores region of the Atlantic, so that in spite of the wind direction, it will be a fairly mild couple of days. Due to the lengthy sea track of the air, it will be a rather cloudy spell this, but with a few sunny intervals, and frost is unlikely mid week, with afternoons reaching 8 to 10c. Dry for most, bar a spot of drizzle at times for west Wales.

post-2595-0-16107000-1328958814_thumb.gi post-2595-0-87302200-1328958863_thumb.pn post-2595-0-34825600-1328958842_thumb.gi

By the end of the week, it looks like a low pressure passing close to Iceland and then into Scandinavia will influence us, the high edging further south-west into the Atlantic and away from the UK. A more unsettled theme for Friday and the weekend then, with bands of rain and some showers affecting the UK, most of the showers over west Wales. Although turning colder, temperatures are not far from average, reaching 5 to 8c, so any sleet or snow will be confined to the higher ground of Wales. Slight frosts will occur by night given clearances.

post-2595-0-39453300-1328958900_thumb.gi post-2595-0-69425300-1328958916_thumb.pn

Thanks for that Tony :D

Posted

It's turned into a mucky, miserable day. The dusting of snow we had yesterday has melted, it's overcast, dull and misty.

Current temp: 2.0c after a max so far of 2.2c

Posted

very dissapointing winter for north wales :(

think that might just change within the next 7 days - a northerly should sort your winter blues out!

Posted

think that might just change within the next 7 days - a northerly should sort your winter blues out!

Will I get mine sorted too????? :cray:

Posted

Racing grifters aye! that takes me back

0.jpg

i had one of those but my first bike was a tomahawk ( baby chopper) . today i`m riding a specialized enduro sworks mountain bike and still love to ride.

Posted

Not so sure about that whiskers.

Posted

It's never been as certain as that though , our recent chances were always going to be hit and miss affairs and most of us missed the snow.

Not easy to get snow that's the trouble.

Edited by TonyH

No snow in the reliable time frame I defintely agree, a few chances towards next weekend, but whether or not this will be downgraded is another matter. There is just below 3 weeks of winter left, still decent chance to see snow, although i can understand if patience is wearing thin, especially when Rome gets more snow than us.

Posted

I remember now 3 marginal disappointments since Feb began, prior to this (apart from a real long shot before Christmas) nothing was even possible. Very disappointing...But much better than if the zonal pattern had just carried on as it was into spring. And what a lovely cold sunny day it was today (sorry if less so outside SE Wales IMBY) Spring on way, but... There’s still a pretty good chance of another shot too, so don't be too despondent folks

( I thought that about Rome too, so unfair)

Edited by wizard.muh