3cm-5cm here using a ruler so pretty decent event here :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

3cm-5cm here using a ruler so pretty decent event here :D

Pictures or it didn't happen ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Pictures or it didn't happen ;)

Its too dark :( I see shawty lurking maybe he can help me confirm it - you can see im not lying when I say that! :p

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

The met office has the whole region under the amber alert for tomorow also, is that the next spell of snow now?

Nope just ice Id say

Posted

Its too dark :( I see shawty lurking maybe he can help me confirm it - you can see im not lying when I say that! :p

Haha, I think he was being sarcastic, but yes, I can confirm it :p

Posted

Its too dark sad.png I see shawty lurking maybe he can help me confirm it - you can see im not lying when I say that! blum.gif

I can confirm we have 3-5cms here and i'm closer to the coast than snowstorm, wonder how much redcar recieved today?

Posted

I know lol but still now its confirmed :p

Posted

Lol yeah I was. In the morning I'm gonna look at webcams and see where it has snowed - I'm supposed to be going to Shap tomorrow but I might cry off as they apparently have a good 6 inches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

The models appear to be trending towards a north-easterly and you know what that mean ladies and gents :p

Hopefully bog all for Thornaby and the south-east of england that's what :lol:

Actually a pretty sad day for me today. The owner of my club Forest has today been found dead at his home in Lincs. Lord only knows where that leaves Forest as he was ploughing up to £250k a week into the club to keep it going. Uncertain times ahead for sure.

He was 54 years old (no age) and my thoughts go out to his family. RIP Nigel Doughty.

Posted

The models appear to be trending towards a north-easterly and you know what that mean ladies and gents blum.gif

Hopefully bog all for Thornaby and the south-east of england that's what laugh.png

Actually a pretty sad day for me today. The owner of my club Forest has today been found dead at his home in Lincs. Lord only knows where that leaves Forest as he was ploughing up to £250k a week into the club to keep it going. Uncertain times ahead for sure.

He was 54 years old (no age) and my thoughts go out to his family. RIP Nigel Doughty.

Really sad to hear that JP1972, thoughts going out to all his family.

Posted

+2C here, not good for retaining that snow cover :(

Posted

Big temp contrasts across the region. I was down at -4.4°C overnight, while Newc was at 0°C- Teesdale also ABOVE freezing all night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

-0.5c here. I have a covering of ice peppered with snow from the back edge of the front. Its too hard to measure, but I would say 1.5cm. out to take my 5 year old daughter ice sledging now.....could be the one and only chance.......I hope not but you never know.

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

Pretty pityfull here. Would be a hugh leap to describe it as a dusting. 3rd time this winter we have been under a meto orange warning for snow and got nowt.

We need a ne wind.

Posted

Big temp contrasts across the region. I was down at -4.4°C overnight, while Newc was at 0°C- Teesdale also ABOVE freezing all night.

Morning all, when I finally went to bed last night it was down to -3 here and its hovering at 0 degrees now, the dew point is at -0.6. Some of the more experienced posters in the model thread are saying a return to possible snowy weather next weekend guys. So hopefully the whole region will see some decent snow in the coming weeks. I hope we get a decent and prolonged spell though (fingers crossed)

Posted

Snow cover is still mostly intact :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Although a few flakes of snow fell yesterday the overwhelming majority of it fell as ice pellets, providing a coating of ice on the ground which then froze overnight during a slight frost (down to -0.6C). Temperatures are up at 2C but due to the rock-solid nature of the covering it will take quite some shifting.

Yesterday's ice event was interesting for its novelty but in my view goes down as a big disappointment, especially when many areas further south had between 5 and 15 centimetres of snow. No proper snow here yet at least as much inconvenience and disruption as we'd expect from a couple of inches of snow- and certainly far more dangerous to go walking and cycling in than fresh snow.

I would feel very differently if I was in one of the areas that had fresh snow but from where I'm at I'd be quite happy to see a thaw in the short-term, ideally followed by a north-easterly similar to the one at the back end of November 2010. At this time of year with lower SSTs in the North Sea that sort of synoptic setup would be less marginal, especially near the coast, which would probably at least offset the slightly reduced convection over the North Sea (March 2001 showed repeatedly that a north-easterly with a "northerly" source can still be very potent convection-wise even into spring, with cumulonimbus cells big enough to produce large hailstones on the 18th).

Posted

Yesterday's ice event was interesting for its novelty but in my view goes down as a big disappointment, especially when many areas further south had between 5 and 15 centimetres of snow. No proper snow here yet at least as much inconvenience and disruption as we'd expect from a couple of inches of snow- and certainly far more dangerous to go walking and cycling in than fresh snow.

Yeah I would have the snow any day and in some extent we do have a slight snow cover here, it certainly is not all ice around here at least. I did warn about that mild sector that was shown by the GFS models and despite being questioned about it, it looks like it did cost us but I think it was a very close thing to have all snow yesterday.

It also shows that we can get snow from PPN on this side of the Pennines as been proven before, I think its when snow or PPN in general comes from the SW is when we struggle for PPN amounts.

Have been out and walking and in all honesty, its not slippy underfoot or dangerous but its the sort of cover where no-one will be making any snowmen or snowballs today.

Posted

-6.4 here last night! And I normally read half a degree or a degree higher than a lot of people on night time mins.

Must be because of the snowcover. Or the fact that I got a load of the trees chopped down in me garden.

Edited by paul tall

Posted

Preety confident this snow isn't going to melt anytime soon - still a good level 8 cms on most surfaces and no drip drip sound yet... Not sure of the temps but we have fog/very low cloud and no chance of sunshine today, which will mean temps should be supressed to no more than maxima of 2 degrees - what a treat this weekend is turning out to be here. Perfect conditions for the children, no wind so none of the snow is going to blow of the trees - a christmas card scene.

Tonight - it now looks like any frontal activity from the atlantic is going to be an exceptionally weak affair - a bit of drizzly sleet for a couple of hours then clearr conditions so another air frost is likely only to compact the snow even further.

The week ahead is now looking a cold one, can't see temps reaching more than 4 degrees tomorrow or Tuesday and with more frost, we could be about to record a number of mornings with snow cover. Later next week signs of heights pulling away to the northwest introducing an arctic blast - this time next week NE parts of the region could very well be experiencing snow showers. Half term week could be a snow fest....

Posted

Preety confident this snow isn't going to melt anytime soon - still a good level 8 cms on most surfaces and no drip drip sound yet... Not sure of the temps but we have fog/very low cloud and no chance of sunshine today, which will mean temps should be supressed to no more than maxima of 2 degrees - what a treat this weekend is turning out to be here. Perfect conditions for the children, no wind so none of the snow is going to blow of the trees - a christmas card scene.

Tonight - it now looks like any frontal activity from the atlantic is going to be an exceptionally weak affair - a bit of drizzly sleet for a couple of hours then clearr conditions so another air frost is likely only to compact the snow even further.

The week ahead is now looking a cold one, can't see temps reaching more than 4 degrees tomorrow or Tuesday and with more frost, we could be about to record a number of mornings with snow cover. Later next week signs of heights pulling away to the northwest introducing an arctic blast - this time next week NE parts of the region could very well be experiencing snow showers. Half term week could be a snow fest....

I think the NE is more likely to lose the snow cover, but then it's mostly ice anyway. It's nice to look at, but not that nice to be walking through.

Posted

You are underestimating the strength of the February sun. The perfect time for long lasting snowcover off one event is December.

I think the NE is more likely to lose the snow cover, but then it's mostly ice anyway.

When you say NE you mean Newcastle right?