Welcome To The Netweather Forum!

Sign In or Register for full access to the community - including the regional forums.

Photo

Worst Winters Of All Time

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#1 UV-RAY

UV-RAY
  • Members
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 16:49

Some of my NW colleagues might like to contribute to this thread. For me this winter is on par with any of the mild and snowless winters of years gone by, the cold spell this week just about sums up this winter in this part of the woods. Altogether this winter I've recorded six frosts, and one days snow, that was in December prior to Xmas and resulted in a 1cm covering which lasted four hours.

Even the winters prior to the last two were significantly better then this, and before some remind me that it's early February, halt right there. The coming week brings much the same as previous months, rain, grey skies, and maybe a frost if we get lucky. That then takes us into the middle of the month, with more promises of jam tomorrow with that elusive Northern blocking .But by the time this takes hold we'll be into the latter stages of February, and by then any so called wintry weather is really not worthwhile, as the sun is far too strong for any snow that does fall and manage to accumulate. So all in all I'll put this winter in my top two worst of all time, and I'm 48.

#2 A Winter's Tale

A Winter's Tale

Clyde-Forth Streamer

• Members
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 16:53

Some of my NW colleagues might like to contribute to this thread. For me this winter is on par with any of the mild and snowless winters of years gone by, the cold spell this week just about sums up this winter in this part of the woods. Altogether this winter I've recorded six frosts, and one days snow, that was in December prior to Xmas and resulted in a 1cm covering which lasted four hours.

Even the winters prior to the last two were significantly better then this, and before some remind me that it's early February, halt right there. The coming week brings much the same as previous months, rain, grey skies, and maybe a frost if we get lucky. That then takes us into the middle of the month, with more promises of jam tomorrow with that elusive Northern blocking .But by the time this takes hold we'll be into the latter stages of February, and by then any so called wintry weather is really not worthwhile, as the sun is far too strong for any snow that does fall and manage to accumulate. So all in all I'll put this winter in my top two worst of all time, and I'm 48.

All comes down to location but for Glasgow it has been a good winter and I've seen many more poorer winters than this.

2006/2007, 2007/2008 were all far poorer than this one for Glagsow. However in Edinburgh, you could easily say that it's one of the poorest but for Glasgow there is no comparison between this one and the two winter listed above.

2010/2011: Amazing: 33 days snowfall, 43 days lying snow, white christmas, classic big freeze late Nov/Dec, 25cm max snow depth, 85 air frost, 17 ice days, max -8C, min -15C
2011/2012: Satisfactory: 22 days snowfall, 12 days lying snow, good Dec for wintry weather/cold conditions late Jan/Early Feb, 7cm max snow-depth, 56 air frost, max 2C, min -7C

2012/2013: V.Good: 41 days snowfall, 21 days lying snow, long winter; snowy + cold (Oct-Apr) amazing March, 8cm max, 96 air frost, 2 ice days, max 0C, min -8C  

2013 so far:
Warmest temperature 28C (19 Jul), Coldest temperature -8C (12 Mar), Coldest max 1C (16 Jan/23 Mar), Warmest min 16C (15 Aug), +25C days 7 (8-20 Jul) +20C days 49 (7 May-22 Sep), +15C (14 Apr-25 Oct), <5Cmax: 39 (27 Mar,), Air frost: 70 (2 May, 11 Oct), <10C max (12 Apr, 2 Nov), <5C min (25 Jun, 5 Sep), Air Frosts 60 (2 May), <-5C min 10 (6 Apr, 22 Nov)

37 snowfalls Torrance (30 Mar, 18 Nov) Lying snow 17 (28 Mar, 5 Dec), Max depth 8cm (13 Feb), 25 snowfalls (30 Mar, 18 Nov) Glasgow Airport

Autumn 2013: Max 20C (3, 4, 22 Sep), Min -3C (4, 5 Nov), warmest min 15C (2 Sep, 7 Oct), coldest max 6C (9, 17 Nov)...

Nov 2013: Max 12C (11), Min -3C (4, 5), warmest min 6C (15), coldest max 6C (9, 17)....

#3 Bottesford

Bottesford

Fish O'Clock

• Forum team leader
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 17:14

For me this has been one the best winters I can remember.
It's been sunny for vast parts of it - even during the milder spells.
Now we've got a sunny easterly (rare around here) and currently it is snowing after some proper cold weather - with more to come.
A total lack of low cloud, rain and general murkiness or grey 3-6c dullness. The mild first half has kept bills down (and made life just easier in general) and now it switched to proper deep cold with snow.
It's been as near to perfect as I can think of to be honest.

Seasonal forum lead moderator & forum admin - Any questions, problems or comments: Contact Me

My recorded maximum / minimum temperatures:

2014: 23.7c @ 1606 30th March // -12.9c @ 0907 25th January (Now in Berlin)
2013: 29.4c @ 1634 1st August // -4.3c @ 0443 17th January
2012: 26.8c @ 1553 24th July // -5.0c @ 0720 11th February
2011: 31.0c @ 1245 27th June // -3.9c @ 0821 21st January
2010: 29.0c @ 1633 23rd May // -9.3c @ 0804 7th December
2009: 29.7c @ 1633 1st July // -2.5c @ 0742 7th February
2008: 27.6c @ 1512 28th July // -4.1c @ 0324 19th February
2007: 30.0c @ 1702 5th August // -3.6c @ 0552 7th February
2006: 33.9c @ 1804 17th July // -2.2c @ 0652 5th April (data from April 4th onwards only)

CETAnalyser tool - find trends & patterns in CET data Current Version- 1.09 (24/04/07) Info in this thread : Info & Download here
Views and opinions expressed in this or any other of my posts are my own

#4 Thundery wintry showers

Thundery wintry showers

Cumulonimbus Incus

• Long range forecast team
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 17:29

"Best" and "worst" are subjective terms, although of course they are regularly used by the media grading weather in terms of the amount of inconvenience and disruption caused. When I look over my personal ratings of months in the Tyne and Wear area dating back to 1993, the most common feature of my least favourite winter months has actually been dry cloudy south-easterlies with temps around 4C by day and night, with December 2002 taking the wooden spoon award and January 1996 close behind.

Taking the country as a whole the most snowless winter in the last 70 years was probably 1991/92, though it did contain a fair number of frosts particularly towards the south. The winter quarter of 1988/89 was completely snowless at low levels between the 3rd December and mid-February, and many places saw out December 1988 and January 1989 without an air frost, so if we're talking a combination of lack of snow and frost within the conventional winter quarter then 1988/89 is a very strong candidate. However, many parts of central and eastern England had much above sunshine during January and more especially February 1989.

"There is always an easy solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong." - H L Mencken

Weather records for Cleadon, 1993-2011:
http://tws27.50webs....ther/index.html
My new blog relating to humanitarian issues, which will serve as an update to my ageing manifesto from a decade ago:

http://freedom-and-r...blogspot.co.uk/

The old manifesto is still available here (but bear in mind that I have refined a lot of my ideas since I wrote this):
http://tws27.50webs.com/index.html
My upcoming modification for Doom 3 (updated 2013-06)
http://enemymountain....com/index.html

'Views and opinions expressed in this or any other of my posts are my own'

#5 UV-RAY

UV-RAY
  • Members
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 17:35

1988/89 is thee worst one IMBY, only just though.

#6 Bristle boy

Bristle boy
  • Members
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 17:52

This one is ranking as one of the worst in terms of cold and snow here in BTL - maybe the next few weeks will turn that around.
Stoke Gifford, North Bristol.
Approx 60m asl

#7 Scorcher

Scorcher
  • Members
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 21:38

I agree with Bottesford, one of the best winters I can remember with a bit of everything thrown in. Admittedly I don't do too well in cold conditions so I'm not really enjoying this current spell but it's nice to have some variation, with some snow and hard frosts. It just hasn't seemed as depressing as the average winter light-wise with so much sunshine and up until last week, mild temperatures. In early January some days felt remarkably spring-like which I haven't really experienced before.

#8 damianslaw

damianslaw
  • Model Forum Host
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 21:52

I feel this thread is too premature - better to wait until the end of the month before we all start summarising how this winter has gone.

Granted so far it has been poor on the snow front - though today (we have been very lucky mind compared to much of the NW), has brought a depth of snow equal to what we saw during last winter.. and there have been many winters when we never managed 4 inches of snow.

Winters 88/89, 91/92, 97/98, 06/07 and 07/08 were worse up to this point, and winter 89/90, 92/93, 94/95, 98/99, 04/05 preety much similiar to what we have seen so far.

I do believe Feb will help push this winter much further up the rankings than it currently appears.

#9 kold weather

kold weather

Mr.AO

• Members
  • 25,716 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 22:00

What an INSANE thread to make, who is to say this month won't go on rival December 2010 or Jan 2010...or perhaps even more severe months?

We just don't know, but right now a decent percentage of the country has seen settling snow today. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this winter ends up coming in at least average now in terms of the CET...

We require a month around the 1.8C mark (don't know exactly) and with the models trending colder again and a sub zero first 4 days I think we are trending in the right direction for that sort of figure.

There have been plenty of winters that are already worse then this one...but people clearly can't think of things objectivly...its always IMBY syndrome it seems and over-reacting.

Reminds me of the 2010 hurricane season, such a slow first half with alot of rubbish, people doubted the forecasts and started talking about the season being a bust and not doing anything...2nd half was one of the most active ever...could end up the same with this winter.
Darren, Part of the Net-Weather team and Archiver of the forum
Visit my hurricane blog:
[url="""]http://www.netweathe...a...g&blogid=41[/url]
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 phil nw.

phil nw.
  • Model Forum Host
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 22:04

Yes i agree with Damien and Kold-too early for this.
In view of the expected cold February the OP may feel differently in 4 weeks time.
Some Winters of the early 70`s and 1988/89 have to be the mildest i can recall.

Phil nw.

Veteran of the 1962/63 Winter when Snow lay for 66 days ---will we ever see its like again?.

#11 The PIT

The PIT
  • Members
  • 19,053 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 22:11

Disagree otherwise you can never make a thread about discussing winters and how severe they were.
Worst ever in my memory was end of november early dec 2010 for snow.
Some very notable winters towards the end of seventies and I just remember 68 mainly due to snow falling of the roof and my father having to carry me to school over the drifts. Yup they stayed open those days and teachers got there. Probably becuase thye were more local.

Edited by The PIT, 04 February 2012 - 22:12 .

Based in Sunny Old Sheffield South Yorkshire.

Website at http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk
Mobile link at http://http://www.sh...uk/iphone/#home
Mobile phone Lightning detection http://www.sheffield...her.co.uk/spark

Follow Sheffield Weather at https://twitter.com/shefweather

2963758576.png

#12 UV-RAY

UV-RAY
  • Members
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 22:24

What an INSANE thread to make, who is to say this month won't go on rival December 2010 or Jan 2010...or perhaps even more severe months?

We just don't know, but right now a decent percentage of the country has seen settling snow today. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this winter ends up coming in at least average now in terms of the CET...

We require a month around the 1.8C mark (don't know exactly) and with the models trending colder again and a sub zero first 4 days I think we are trending in the right direction for that sort of figure.

There have been plenty of winters that are already worse then this one...but people clearly can't think of things objectivly...its always IMBY syndrome it seems and over-reacting.

Reminds me of the 2010 hurricane season, such a slow first half with alot of rubbish, people doubted the forecasts and started talking about the season being a bust and not doing anything...2nd half was one of the most active ever...could end up the same with this winter.

But most people judge winter by what happens IMBY. True February may deliver, but as my opening statement stated, IMBY it's too late for anything long lasting.

#13 Harve

Harve
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 22:24

In terms of wintriness I'd say that 2007/2008 was quite dire. I think one of my least favourite winter months would've been February 1986, even though it's almost considered 'legendary'. I see no appeal in a cold but dry easterly (I assume this also means cloud?) with almost the same weather day after day in my region. If it meant freezing fog and rime then it'd be far better, if that was the case? I wasn't alive for it,

This winter has been really good, I think. There've been plenty of snowfalls above 250-350m, with 17 days of sleet or snow falling, even if most of them have been light. If I lived just a few miles to the north I'd be on my 8 consecutive day of snow cover, with 1 (?) more snow lying day earlier in January and at least 5 or so in December. I don't keep statistics on these mind!
And of course, February looks set to be better than December (rather good) and January (admittedly poor) put together.

I'd rank the last 5, the only ones I've paid proper attention to, as follows:

2009/2010

2010/2011

2011/2012
2008/2009

2007/2008

#14 greybing

greybing
  • Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 22:39

I feel this thread is too premature - better to wait until the end of the month before we all start summarising how this winter has gone.

Granted so far it has been poor on the snow front - though today (we have been very lucky mind compared to much of the NW), has brought a depth of snow equal to what we saw during last winter.. and there have been many winters when we never managed 4 inches of snow.

Winters 88/89, 91/92, 97/98, 06/07 and 07/08 were worse up to this point, and winter 89/90, 92/93, 94/95, 98/99, 04/05 preety much similiar to what we have seen so far.

I do believe Feb will help push this winter much further up the rankings than it currently appears.

agreed,i think it is a bit dumb also [conceptually].no offence .

Edited by greybing, 04 February 2012 - 22:41 .

#15 UV-RAY

UV-RAY
  • Members
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 22:46

agreed,i think it is a bit dumb also [conceptually].no offence .

You'll be posting otherwise in the next few weeks, trust me.

#16 DeepSnow

DeepSnow
  • Members
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 23:07

2006/2007 was the worst winter i can remember, mild, damp and boring! Don't think I had a single day with snow on that winter, making it the first winter i can remember with no snowfall!
Life is like a blanket of snow, be careful how you step on it, every step will show.

#17 J10

J10
  • Site forecast team
  • 16,884 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 13:22

2006/2007 was the worst winter i can remember, mild, damp and boring! Don't think I had a single day with snow on that winter, making it the first winter i can remember with no snowfall!

There was 1 day in Feb 2007 which brought very heavy snowfall, 2007/08 here was lousy though.

Ski Forecasts for this season are shown in the Main Skiing thread

Latest Update Sat 1 Mar http://forum.netweat...3-14/?p=2940567

Next Update 7-9 March

All Comments made are entirely my own opinion

#18 Thundery wintry showers

Thundery wintry showers

Cumulonimbus Incus

• Long range forecast team
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 14:09

In terms of wintriness I'd say that 2007/2008 was quite dire. I think one of my least favourite winter months would've been February 1986, even though it's almost considered 'legendary'. I see no appeal in a cold but dry easterly (I assume this also means cloud?) with almost the same weather day after day in my region. If it meant freezing fog and rime then it'd be far better, if that was the case? I wasn't alive for it,

Yes, I remember Mushymanrob (from a similar area of the country to you) commenting on how February 1986 had long runs of dull dry days and not much snow- which, if you removed any lying snow, probably represents my least favourite setup in winter.
Stats point to a different story further north though, with Durham having near average precipitation and only a slight shortage of sunshine, while much of W Scotland and NW England were exceptionally sunny- probably a combination of greater instability over the North Sea further north (promoting sunny intervals as well as snow showers) and ridges of high pressure, although this is only relatively speaking- I'm sure north-eastern districts had a fair amount of dull dry weather thrown in too.

For this kind of reason I don't think of December 2010 as "the best December since 1890"- I think of it as a thousand times better. December 1890 was packed full of anticyclonic gloom and dry cloudy south-easterlies, Durham had just over 10 hours of sunshine and parts of London had no sunshine at all. December 2010 was a sunny month away from the SE and even in the cloudy SE it was nothing like as dull as December 1890.

"There is always an easy solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong." - H L Mencken

Weather records for Cleadon, 1993-2011:
http://tws27.50webs....ther/index.html
My new blog relating to humanitarian issues, which will serve as an update to my ageing manifesto from a decade ago:

http://freedom-and-r...blogspot.co.uk/

The old manifesto is still available here (but bear in mind that I have refined a lot of my ideas since I wrote this):
http://tws27.50webs.com/index.html
My upcoming modification for Doom 3 (updated 2013-06)
http://enemymountain....com/index.html

'Views and opinions expressed in this or any other of my posts are my own'

#19 LomondSnowstorm

LomondSnowstorm

Tay-Clyde Snow Streamer

• Members
  • 6,781 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 14:21

But most people judge winter by what happens IMBY. True February may deliver, but as my opening statement stated, IMBY it's too late for anything long lasting.

So the Ribble Valley has never seen a sustained cold spell in mid-late February or into March? What about 2006, 2005, 1986, 1947 etc.? February is statistically as cold as January, I believe actually slightly colder overall, with March colder than December in general. Perhaps people's view of when we can get wintry weather has been skewed by the exceptional early winter cold of the last 2 winters.
2013/14 Winter Forecast is now available!

The snowfall of November/December 2010:
Maximum depth: 15 inches

The Ultimate Guide to Scottish Winter Weather, compiled by Cheggers and the rest of the Kilted Thread:
http://forum.netweat...ttach_id=142698

#20 Peter H

Peter H
  • Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 14:22

74/75 was really bad. Most of the winters of the 1990's. and 2000's

There was one December the temperatures got into the low 60's (F) and another Februay were the same thing happened (2002 ?)

Winters in general have been rubbish since 1988.

Edited by Peter H, 05 February 2012 - 14:24 .