Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (cymru) - Regional Weather Discussion (part 4)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I used to live in Birmingham, seeing quite a few pictures on Facebook.. Jealous! They have had loads since around 1pm, still snowing and still heavy there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Well its a warm 4.2C now, Warmest temp of the month so far, havent had it this high all week! Still raining here and am slightly jealous of those in England, esp my sister who lives in London and will sure enough get loads soon! Anyway maybe sometime this week it will be those in England looking to use for snow while we get loads?! One can hope :)

Edited by DeepSnow

Posted

its the weather for the love of god.

'knew it wouldn't last'

'rather see wales get it'

we have no control over the weather why fret about it?

Then they were correct with that too, as the vast majority of us in Wales have had nothing or next to nothing!

It siad rain for us all day and there was snow for over 4 hours.

Temps now up to 7c, and raining heavily, some snow remnants at side of garden but not much.

Fair enough. I would also rate their map with the mostly identical shades of blue as being possibly the most pointless waste of pixels on the web (IMO)! Raining in Cardiff, and feeling milder. All the pretty snow washed away. Never mind - I'm going with netweather's 60% chance of snow on Wednesday - even though they reckoned there was an 8% chance of snow today and it snowed most of the day ;)

That's based on GFS and their snow prediction is useless, especially in coastal areas.

Yep i'd rather see the whole of wales get a decent spell of snow which lasts a while, it was nice to see snow falling today but i guess it's pointless having it to be washed away a few hours later, it's depressing lol.

I'd rather it snow and thaw than no snow.

Posted

just got a bit excited checked the weather for the week ahead and had snow symbols for all of tomorrow :clapping: then relised i had defaulted to london for my location :doh: really disappointed with the weather but was really hoping that every one had got it wrong ( no offence ) and we had a repeat of 1982.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It siad rain for us all day and there was snow for over 4 hours.

Temps now up to 7c, and raining heavily, some snow remnants at side of garden but not much.

It didn't say rain for us all today..

Forecasts yesterday said there was a possibility that snow could start in East Wales and turn back to rain..

Todays forecast was even more encouraging for East Wales, saying exactly what has happened really. No real surprises.. Unless you didn't see the forecast of course!

That's why I kept saying it would turn to rain when people were getting excited by a few hours of snow, the forecast was spot on. Wish it had been different for you though!

Posted

Don't be getting down hearted - there's tonnes of potential in the models at the mo for a very very cold Feb/March - so you could say this is winters opening salvo. Loads to come before spring it seems - we'll see more of this and perhaps next time it will hang around with colder temps. Yes I had 6 hours of snow today - it is now raining, but the snow cover is still there at the mo - see how much is there by morning!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

4- 5 inches in the MIdlands now

5c here

Posted

I know, I have been checking all the regionals. Wish it would have stayed here a bit longer but I am happy to have had a wee covering. Great night for so many which is lovely. Really exciting. Fingers crossed we will get some more. Tony, I am simply rubbish at the weather lol, only able to enjoy it, but what sort of set up does wales usually do best with?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Still no snow here this winter, and the clock's ticking :(. Although wasn't really expecting any today, I have never seen lowland Ceredigion get snow from a battleground event like that, I guess we're just too far west and close to the sea.

Posted

Historically Ali, I think it has been from when a deep low close to our SW hits a cold block, fronts get stuck over Wales a long time delivering a foot or more, I think this may have happened in some of our bigger snow storms like in 1978 and 1982. However I was not in Wales back then.

I'm sure some of the older guys who have lived here longer would remember.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Historically Ali, I think it has been from when a deep low close to our SW hits a cold block, fronts get stuck over Wales a long time delivering a foot or more, I think this may have happened in some of our bigger snow storms like in 1978 and 1982. However I was not in Wales back then.

And where can I book that again please???? lol. Ok thank you TonyH. Well fingers crossed for us all real soon.

Posted

I'm gutted now, but it was far better than I expected. It snowed for quite some time here and yes it was better to have settling snow to rain than nothing at all.

Slushy mess now, but overall least the synoptics are in place for a few more tries (come on wales!)

Edited by wizard.muh

Posted

Yes alijoe 1982 started snowing Friday at 6pm finished around 6pm Sunday stalled fronts at TonH stated, well over 2foot of snow.

Posted

Posted

Yes alijoe 1982 started snowing Friday at 6pm finished around 6pm Sunday stalled fronts at TonH stated, well over 2foot of snow.

I got stuck in Dyffryn gardens for a week when that happened - was on a course playing in an orchestra - we all panicked but still had a good time - silly thing is a friend of my dads was a snow plough/gritter driver and I was desperately trying to persude him to dig us out before the food run out! we got out in the end, but it was a long week!

Posted

I got stuck in Dyffryn gardens for a week when that happened - was on a course playing in an orchestra - we all panicked but still had a good time - silly thing is a friend of my dads was a snow plough/gritter driver and I was desperately trying to persude him to dig us out before the food run out! we got out in the end, but it was a long week!

lol NOW I know why you always stock up on so much food before a potential wintry outbreak :rofl: . Wow, I would love that lol.

Posted

Thanks for that Tony, really loved reading the posts as it brought back some great memories and loved looking at the pics. I remember that amazing snow so much. I lived in Hanham in Bristol (Near bath). My dad had to dig us out of the back of the house as the blizzards went all the way up out back wall and covered all our windows and doors. Just worked it out that I wass 14 years old and my son is 14 Oh I would love my son to experience that amount of snow just once as he does not believe me. Thanks Tony I will be showing him these pictures in the morning and see If I can convince him his mum is not mad lol.

Edited by alijoe

Posted

Wonder if we will EVER see snow like that again here? gosh, fingers crossed eh. lol

Posted

We never had a better chance many chances coming friday looks good for a LP approaches from the s west fingures crossed.

It didn't say rain for us all today..

Forecasts yesterday said there was a possibility that snow could start in East Wales and turn back to rain..

Todays forecast was even more encouraging for East Wales, saying exactly what has happened really. No real surprises.. Unless you didn't see the forecast of course!

That's why I kept saying it would turn to rain when people were getting excited by a few hours of snow, the forecast was spot on. Wish it had been different for you though!

I'll clarify my comments, when I said rain for us, I meant this location, and indeed for areas further west, The only snow it showed was for East Wales,

The fact is this time, and I did see the forecast, the BBC forecasts underestimated snow potential, whereas last week it was more accurate.

When it forecasts rain for a location and there are 4 hours of settling snow that is a wrong forecast for that location, and I am quite happy it was wrong.

In this case the Met Office was far more accurate, which is strange as they supply data to the BBC.

1982 was my first snow memory, tons of the stuff that lasted for a week, and now I feel old !!

Posted

Might have possibilites a snow tuesday -wednesday a front approaches from the west and a front from the east fasinating weather watching this week.