Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Regional Discussion Thread Part 2

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

A nice, shiny new thread to discuss the prospects for the weekend and beyond! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Ooh nice new thread for discussing the weekend's special! Anyway im off to land of nod, speak to you all tomorrow.

Temperature rised slightly now -5.7c and Dewpoint is -10.1c.

Goodnight All.

Mark

Posted

That Meto fax keeps it pegged west, see I always assume once its over the mountains the natural progression is to push east, assuming planetary physics will always win out even at micro-scale events. I could be wrong, but im not so sure those in what I call SE should be as worried as some of them are (Surrey, Kent etc (though they love the 18z).

Progression I am sure will be more east than I think...not so many mountains in the way, but at the moment for the eastern edge of our patch (take a coridoor Reading, Basingstoke ish ways....you could be in the sweet spot)...East of that (i.e. where I am) may see less.....west of it....will have seen the glory.

18z however would have us all seeing snow...then rain, mass progression and quick mixing out.

Andrew...to answer I think reading is pretty well placed, but it really does depend how well the cold puts up a fight and in saying that, chances are we wont know properly until meto do last minute updates and we sit watching lamp posts...but I suspect some snow is likely...even if it is a dusting...for anyone who views this forum and is central south

Edited by john w

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Thankyou kindly Nick for the new thread. :drinks:

I would just like to reattach the Fax Chart submitted in the previous thread.

post-7183-0-19461200-1328226661_thumb.pn

Some action could take place before this main event because as of right now the Wash streamer is filtering well into parts of the Midlands but this being unlikely to effect us. Also, the previous Fax Chart being 12 hours previously shows a front affecting the Southeast.

Kind Regards and plenty more sensible analysis to come tomorrow. :good:

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Wooohoo!!! BBC news looks awsome for Saturday! Snow almost everywhere!!! And they are feeling more confident.

So, I shall be down the Alex to watch the match in my wellies, then :-) :drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

So is Reading nicely placed atm

There are worse places to be, let's just say!

Posted

So jealous of the people living from the Wash up along the East coast right now, so beefy convection going on right now!

SM

Posted

Temperature here on the Costa del Solent (Southsea) is -1.0C exactly with a dewpoint of -5.8C

Posted

Just driven back from Reading and the car therm reached -5.5c which is consistent with the local station. Not feeling like going to bed yet so may stay up for the GFS 0z.

Had a peek at the 18z 'pub run' and it's a bit out on it's own in terms of snow prospects.

remember that most of the good snowfalls occur at night, none of that pesky weak sun to allow temps to rise too high. What is forecasted is due to arrive at night. Once a blanket of snow has formed on the ground it does wonders for the layers of atmosphere above it (someone technical could explain that). I have high hopes and will be referring to the local forecasts, the fax charts, the NAE, the great people on this site, the lamppost and the radar to draw my conclusions.

Posted

Wooohoo!!! BBC news looks awsome for Saturday! Snow almost everywhere!!! And they are feeling more confident.

So, I shall be down the Alex to watch the match in my wellies, then :-) :drunk:

A lot different to the Met Office

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Morning all and Dorsetbred. I see you are up too?

What is the score this morn any change? Hope not. I checked met office last night and sure enough some warnings out there for snow at weekend.

Joneseye, GTLTW when it snows I will look out for you out and about Sunday morning. I may take a stroll and then finish early in town for nice brekkie. If anywhere opens!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

By the way very cold down here on Brighton and icy cars again. I did see sone good drops on temps down the coast on wunderground. But I suspect other places on ln land got some decent low temps? It has been quite freezing down here and I know because it has woken me up. The b&b where I am staying has either turned the heating off last night or it has broken. It is freeeeeezing in this room. . Great start to the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

A lot different to the Met Office

I think that if you ar wanting snow you will need to be EAST of Southampton the nearer you get to the coast. The further north you are the more west you can afford to be. For my area I think it will be cold but rain. Knowing that we will have missed out by a degree or so. Still, wont have to drive to far to see some but not the same as IMBY.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny summers, cold and snowy winters. Traditional seasons please!

Morning :acute: Currently -5.5c here (DP -8c and Humidity 81%)

And I see my local forecast has switched back to sleet and rain for the weekend :aggressive:

I would have thought, being on the eastern side of this region, that I'm in a great spot for the snow. But the forecasts keep swtiching back to sleet. I'm no good at reading the charts myself so I'll be keeping a close eye on all your wonderful observations in this thread for the next 24 hours!! Fingers crossed that Atlantic front doesn't push too far east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Rain here in Bournemouth as usual I feel! Hope those people that get some of the white nectar enjoy and stay safe.

Please keep an eye out for any vulnerable or elderly neighbours! It doesn't take a lot to ask and you will feel great for helping!

Posted

-5 this morning in parts of Gosport. The NAE 48 hour chart show just how marginal it is for the south coast. At the moment the line is around 25 miles north of portsmouth on an eastward line

Edited by PompeyFC

Posted

-6.1C here this morning.

Looking ahead I'm seeing a slight shift east in the models this morning ...with a resulting eastwards shift in the boundary between rain and snow.

I agree with Snow drift and Lynnism....certainly need to be east of Southampton and away from the immediate coastal fringe. If you're further north and have a bit of elevation that will also help.

It is all on a knife edge though and still more than 24hrs away ....plenty of time for the tiny changes that those in the west of our area will need for snow.

Posted

nae has it all as snow E of the IOW currently.

Knife edge for us on the coast.

-6.5 overnight low.

Edited by SLEETY

Posted

and the dewpoints and surface temp oon the coast will make it rain as far as I can tell.

Hopefully will get another shot next week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Looking at it this morning. It's got to be anything east of Southampton that is going to get snow. Us poor souls west of Southampton it's gonna be rain or nothing lol.

Hoping for something next week! My new sledge is ready and waiting for his first outing!

Posted

nae has it all as snow E of the IOW currently.

Knife edge for us on the coast.

-6.5 overnight low.

My gut is that it'll be snow for most of it but it will turn sleety toward the end, my worry is obviously because the airflow is coming off from the sea its going to have a negative effect on the temps and help take them the wrong side of marginal.