Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) - Regional Weather Discussion (part 2)

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl

Derek Brockway has just tweeted that the West of Wales could get up to an inch of snow on higher ground but in South & Est Wales, particularly the valleys - around the 100m - 200m level could be talking a couple of inches later. That encompasses a lot if not most of the mid valleys and definitely well within the higher levels.

Thats his latest tweet so should be most accurate with data around at time.

JK

Edited by CRACKPOT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Very light sleet here now :).. at least something wintry is going on. I didn't notice it at first, hardly visible until I went outside and stuck my hand into it.

Posted

My fav forecaster Laura "sexy" Tobin NEWS 24 - 10cms snow for south Wales - ooh she's sooooo nice! - disruption mentioned also - still early days folks, you are not giving this a chance - it was always defo not gonna start much before midday today and the best bits will come later - have some patience please!

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

The NW extra radar is starting to turn red! My temp has stabilised now at 2.3c

Posted

Merthyr is usually a few degrees colder than Merthyr, as it is here in the upper Rhondda, the reason for rain in Cardiff and snow in Merthyr. Very often Merthyr and the valleys will be snowbound while Cardiff is clear. Hope this answers your ? loadsa

Posted

Still under phantom precipitation on the radar, wish it would be real as temp still 0.6c. Latest charts show most precip missing here to south and west, but radar is more encouraging for my location, sorry to those of you out west, but I want this thing further east :p

Posted

Aberporth montoring station at 10am is giving Heavy rain and a temp of 3.1 (stayed constant since 8am) 15 mph increasing slowly (14mph at 9am) southerley wind and falling pressure

Milford Haven sor the same time is giving temp 5.5 14mph increasing southerly (6mph at 9am) wind and falling pressure

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe disruptive snow or any other severe weather!

As long as derek boy says it will snow im confident lol. Light rain here at the moment though :(.

Posted

Merthyr is usually a few degrees colder than Merthyr, as it is here in the upper Rhondda, the reason for rain in Cardiff and snow in Merthyr. Very often Merthyr and the valleys will be snowbound while Cardiff is clear. Hope this answers your ? loadsa

I understand the temperature variation it is the amount of precipitatation. Merthyr is light Snow cardiff is heavy rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

I suggest everyone watch country tracks weather in less than an hour for guidance on the rest of the week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Sky news weather has the front making slower progress than previously thought, and doesn't make it beyond the western most fringes til after 2pm.

Posted

I suggest everyone watch country tracks weather in less than an hour for guidance on the rest of the week

Rest of the week is looking flippin freezing - especially over the "snow fields" - then possibility of further atlantic incursions dumping more snow on us - 55 visitors to our lovely thread today - must be some sort of record - is there something interesting going on then? - SNOW by any chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Temp still rising 3.6C not TOO bad , could be worse, light rain

Posted

I will be glued to it lol. Pity its on last

Posted

making a cuppa getting bready for country tracks,told everyone teir not aloud t talk to me while its on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

curently 2.1 here in blackwood gwent,really cloudy hoping this is the calm before the storm,keeping everything crossed,do you guys think i'm pushing it if i dont iron the kids school clothes or am i jinxing things?

Iron them NOW - please do it - don't jinx the snow. If you iron them this morning, all will be well and you can enjoy the snowfest with the rest of us later on. If not - we're doomed!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Any chance of a picture of that radar wales123098.

Dont know if I'd be allowed. I don't want to get my account suspended

Posted

One eye on country tracks and one on here now folks lol

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Guide to the week's weather: Sunday 29th January to Saturday 4th February (west Wales and central Midlands specific)

Headline: Cold and often frosty. Potential for snow at times, becoming very cold later

A tricky one to pin detail on this week, in fact even the next 24 hours is problematic. This is because the UK spends the coming week at or close to the boundary between bitterly cold air that will be over the Continent, and milder Atlantic air which will attempt to push in, more especially early this week, and perhaps again next weekend. An entirely cold to very cold week ahead, plenty of hard frosts from mid week, and with some snow at times in places too.

This cold versus mild air 'battle' begins tonight across Wales. Low pressure west of Ireland is attempting to push rain fronts east during Sunday night and early on Monday, however their progress would seem to be blocked by the intense wall of cold high pressure sat over Scandinavia and western Russia presently.

I anticipate that the rain falling over west Wales this morning will tend to turn to sleet and snow later on Sunday, and more especially during tonight. It's very difficult to judge which areas will be affected by this snow- with many different factors to weigh up- although low lying coastal areas are more likely to stick with rain or sleet, whereas if your inland, and especially above 100 to 200 metres then a snowy night may well occur, so that places such as Lampeter, could have a decent covering come Monday morning. A dry, frosty night for the central Midlands, as the fronts are not expected to reach Warwickshire, bar the odd flurry later in the night.

post-2595-0-60435400-1327834649_thumb.gi post-2595-0-98881500-1327834666_thumb.gi post-2595-0-35408600-1327834682_thumb.pn

A cold, raw and cloudy day on Monday, the precipitation dying out during the morning, although still some rain, sleet or snow at times further down into SW Wales. Maximum temperatures just 1- 3c. Another attempt at a milder push may happen during Tuesday, with the threat of more sleet or snow into west Wales perhaps, and another cold, cloudy and raw day, but perhaps brighter for the Midlands.

Wednesday onwards, very cold easterly winds infiltrate England and Wales, courtesy of the high ridging in from Scandinavia. Even colder to end the week, but mostly dry with sunny periods, just the chance of a light snow flurry reaching the Midlands. Severe overnight frosts. By Friday temperatures should remain below zero day and night, from as low -10c over west Wales only reaching -2c in the afternoon. One caveat, is that the UK Met Office model shows less cold air into Wales on Friday, such is the range of possibilities at that stage.

post-2595-0-41432200-1327834705_thumb.gi post-2595-0-04137700-1327834722_thumb.gi post-2595-0-22115200-1327834737_thumb.pn post-2595-0-27753600-1327834791_thumb.pn post-2595-0-81416900-1327834760_thumb.gi

Next weekend is almost impossible to predict this far out in this set up. but the very cold air may well hang on, with more in the way of snow showers by then, and perhaps another 'battleground' scenario and heavy snow into Wales! Spare a thought for the Alps next weekend, for where GFS is predicting -40c!!

post-2595-0-81416900-1327834760_thumb.gi post-2595-0-27028500-1327834868_thumb.pn

post-2595-0-27797300-1327834823_thumb.pn

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Good morning folks - how is everyone on this bright - soon to be snowy day!

Looks to me like the front is slightly ahead of schedule if you check GFS

NAE looking good - convinced the sweet spots are in south wales

and progging a few days of the white stuff

12012918_2906.gif

GFS looking good - great snowy potential

ECM looking good

I hope you all get the snow you are after folks - enjoy yourselves

I will certainly let you know when the first flakes hits up in Pontypridd land

hoping so andy crossing everything!!!

Posted

Latest news 24 forecast showed that the front will not make it as far east as earlier forecasts indicated.

At the moment it looks I may struggle to get anything.

Posted

Iron them NOW - please do it - don't jinx the snow. If you iron them this morning, all will be well and you can enjoy the snowfest with the rest of us later on. If not - we're doomed!!!!!

doing it now while watching country tracks,i will do everything to make it snow! bring on the snow- the kids are going to kill me if it doesnt ive wound them up soooooooooo much!